IMS show - pathetic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
A few of us in the PNW braved the crazy rain and did the 3 hour trek to Portland from Seattle to visit the IMS show. We were excited to see all the new models, especially the Honda Africa Twin, the new Bonneville, and a few others.

Only BMW, Kawasaki, and Harley seem to show up as manufacturers. The rest of the brands were feebly represented by local dealers bringing their tired old stock in, with no apparent support from their manufacturers. Nothing new, just what you'd find in any dealership.

It's like the manufacturers just gave up.

The poor Honda dealer maybe had 10 bikes in all, all current or old models.

No KTM presences beyond local dealer with 6 or so models. Yamaha didn't even bother to bring an FJR.

The floor was small, and two hours was more than plenty to walk the whole show and sit on the few new models that were present.

Just pathetic. If this is what IMS thinks passes for an international motorcycle show, I'm done. Better to save the time and just visit the local dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear about the poor show. I have always been satisfied with the Progressive show in Minneapolis. There is room for improvement in my interests, as most of the venders cater to the pirates but its hard to deny that they make up a majority in attendance. Maybe I am just motorcycle starved by January and my expectations are low.

I will be in Florida in January and am looking forward to attending the Miami Progressive show on January 8th, 9th or 10th.

Sounds like a bummer, Hudson. The Orlando AimExpo was huge. The southeast crew showed up and it was fun. Yamaha had a few FJR's but, all '15s. I pretty much showed up to see what the venders have to offer. They had a lot this year. Shoulda left my wallet on the bike. :)

Ours is next week, Dave, and the first time ever in Sacramento, so I'm a little excited about that, plus I want to try on helmets--I know Shoei will be there--and I need a new pair of Lee Parks gloves. I have noticed the San Mateo show has gotten a little weaker over the last couple years, and I've been hoping moving it here will be a shot in the arm. We'll be giving a critique of that one in a week. Hope it's more positive than yours was.

It seems to be the general consensus around here that the LA show is probably the best. Phoenix's was somewhat lame last year as well.

It seems to be the general consensus around here that the LA show is probably the best. Phoenix's was somewhat lame last year as well.
Gary is right on, I thought last year's Phoenix show was not worth the money spent. A large group of AZ Beemers will be riding over to the Long Beach Show.

I plan on going to the Dallas show the week end of Jan. 24th, maybe most/all of the new models will be shown.

Bummer, at least you got to eat some good food in Portland, I wonder if the Long Beach show will be better, I will be in So Cal that week.

I wonder if it's just that it's the first event, or the PNW location, or what? IMS has abandoned the east/south, with nothing between NYC and Miami. We used to make the drive to ATL, then Spartanburg, then the short hop to CLT. Now nothin'. We do have the car show in a couple weeks. (Where's the zzz emoticon?)

I quit going to the Seattle show in 2003 when it appeared to be mostly a local dealers show trying to clean out their inventory of obsolete items. Every year since then I have heard the same comment about the show...."It wasn't as good as last year".

A few of us in the PNW braved the crazy rain and did the 3 hour trek to Portland from Seattle to visit the IMS show. We were excited to see all the new models, especially the Honda Africa Twin, the new Bonneville, and a few others.
Only BMW, Kawasaki, and Harley seem to show up as manufacturers. The rest of the brands were feebly represented by local dealers bringing their tired old stock in, with no apparent support from their manufacturers. Nothing new, just what you'd find in any dealership.

It's like the manufacturers just gave up.

The poor Honda dealer maybe had 10 bikes in all, all current or old models.

No KTM presences beyond local dealer with 6 or so models. Yamaha didn't even bother to bring an FJR.

The floor was small, and two hours was more than plenty to walk the whole show and sit on the few new models that were present.

Just pathetic. If this is what IMS thinks passes for an international motorcycle show, I'm done. Better to save the time and just visit the local dealer.
you seemed to be having a good time at the dealer a week ago, liking those Italians,good to see you.

Sigh, I remember when it was awesome...and when Dallas was like first or second on the tour. Now we sit in January and it sucks. If they do demos here I'll show up maybe, but doubtful we'll go. Kiddo enjoys it a little bit though.

I wonder if it's just that it's the first event, or the PNW location, or what? IMS has abandoned the east/south, with nothing between NYC and Miami. We used to make the drive to ATL, then Spartanburg, then the short hop to CLT. Now nothin'. We do have the car show in a couple weeks. (Where's the zzz emoticon?)
How true this is, but all the better I say. The last decent show was like 5 years ago in Greenville, then it went to so-so when it moved to Charlotte, .....Atlanta??? Complete waste of time! That's why I say all the better, if it was close I would feel the need to go but after the major disappointments the last few years they can stay away till they get their act together. In Greenville there was a ton of vendors, real show specials on gear and bikes, it took all day to go through it and felt like I wanted to go back on Sunday! By the time it went to Atlanta it was crap. Took longer to drive to Atlanta than go through the show. Hardly any vendors except for craft vendors??? And the motorcycle ones that "were there"....it was a human-less kiosk with a computer terminal in the middle where you could order stuff online?!!! Man don't get me started....oh I already am....geez I need a blood pressure pill!! Lol anyway yah I have an issue with the so-called international motorcycle show!! Lol

Not the report I was expecting Hudson. Too bad, looks like the IMS has given up on the PNW...hopefully the Euro show doesn't follow the same path.

--G

Sounds ominous for the Sacramento IMS. At least I will have a good breakfast with friends because of it.

After working and attending these shows for numerous years it always seems like the show reflects how the economy is doing. Last eight years have been a down turn. Hopefully we'll see better years and shows ahead. Pm. ><>

After working and attending these shows for numerous years it always seems like the show reflects how the economy is doing. Last eight years have been a down turn. Hopefully we'll see better years and shows ahead. Pm. ><>
Here in the PNW, it was traditionally held right after New Years in Seattle. A couple of years ago they moved to to the first part of December still in Seattle, and this year it was moved to October in Portland. It was an annual event many in the motorcycling community around here marked their calendars and planned events around.

IMHO, they took something that was working pretty well in this area and f*cked it all up. My main reason for not going is to show with my money that the show organizers are a bunch of a$$ clowns. They had an annual date set with the show pretty well supported, even during the down ecoonomy, and screwed it all up. They really f*ucked the core support groups. Then for the manufacturers to not even show up to the Portland show, that is the cherry on top of their screw up as far as I am concerned.

I say this a person who has been going to the show every year since 1994 even with the change of locations around the city year to year. I've worked the show several years with the road racing club here.

I went to the show the last year it was down at the stadium, wasn't terrible but didn't impress at all. Went to the firs year at the Convention Center and that was it. It seemed like there were more vendors for patches than anything else. The manufacturers that were there had a decent selection, lots of vendors for farkles and gear which was handy. Went the second year at the Convention Center and left after about an hour. Lots of vendors selling junk, not many new bikes and fewer gear vendors. Haven;t been back since.