IMS show - pathetic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went in '14, skipped the last one ('15) so this '16 was on my list.

But, this is a buzzkill moment. Maybe they will gear up as the show progresses?. (being an optimist here).
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The NYC show played with the dates a few years ago otherwise it's been the same, and it sounds like my impression of it mirrors what others have written here. I go one year, say it wasn't worth it and won't go back, then the next year or so someone mentions it and we're sitting on the train again. Bike displays seem to have gotten stale (exception for Indian maybe?) and name-brand vendors seem scarce. Even the leather, patches and boot-cleaning vendors seemed to be shrinking which would back up the growing empty floor space I've been noticing. Economy might have something to do with it, not only from the consumer side but also in increased costs for the vendors. I sorta recall a conversation with someone about how the convention center was raising its fees every year.

I went in '04, skipped the last one ('15) so this '16 was on my list.
But, this is a buzzkill moment. Maybe they will gear up as the show progresses?. (being an optimist here).
smile.png
A good group of forumites are going Saturday in Sacramento. I'll be on the racetrack with the 990 that day so we're meeting Tyler Sunday for brunch and then going to check it out. Hopefully a change in venue from the bay area will put some spark in the show.

I'm sure between Saturdays group and Tyler with her camera on Sunday we will have a report for you KJ

After working and attending these shows for numerous years it always seems like the show reflects how the economy is doing. Last eight years have been a down turn. Hopefully we'll see better years and shows ahead. Pm. ><>
Of course, if the economy is down, you'd think the show would be better as the manufacturers fight for customers. They'll of course point to the declining attendance as a reason to not bring their product to the show, but the lack of product is just going to cause attendance to continue to decline.
Bottom line, bring a kickass show and see what happens.

I and some friends were at the Long Beach show yesterday. This is one of the biggest shows in the country with great weather (sunny high 70s) and many distributors being based nearby. We went in about 11:30, and they closed the show with two of us still in the hall. Triumph's effort was small, but they had a new Bonny, a Thruxton, a Street something. Yamaha had a big area, with lots and lots of bikes in there, but no swag (stickers, T-shirts, etc.) Honda was well-repped, Beemer, Indian, H-D. I sat on so many my hip is sore from flinging a leg over so many times. There were a lot of cut-away engines and whole bikes even. More vendors than last year, it seemed, and all in all, we had a great time. The flask helped somewhat.