In-ear noise management

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Yo peeps,

I currently ride with a FF helmet which is outfitted with Autocomm communications (mic and speakers). The helmet is not the quietest model on the planet, and I generally prefer to ride with the shield down, which results in clean but noisy air. Add to that the music I play through the speakers, and it is a lot of sound pressure. After a longer ride, I definately feel "worn out in the head", if you can imagine what I mean.

So, I am soliciting recommendations from you what to do. Do I:

1. Put in noise reducing reducing earplugs? If so, will the music still be audible through these? What models have mild to moderate attenuation and where do I get them?

2. Switch from speakers to audio earplugs? If so, what models (Shure, etymotics, etc...), and how do I connect to my autocomm and manage putting them in/out, etc?

3. Stop crying like a little girl and suck it up, even if it means I'll be wearing hearing aids in a few years.

TIA!

-BD

2. Switch from speakers to audio earplugs? If so, what models (Shure, etymotics, etc...), and how do I connect to my autocomm and manage putting them in/out, etc?
Get some custom molded ear speakers/plugs. Autocomm makes an adaptor for using them. Put them in when you ride, take them out when you stop riding. :yahoo:

I'm currently cheap...and use foam earplugs. I did turn the volume up in my Autocom system a bit, but I can still hear it fine. The earplugs seemed to clear out most of the 'helmet noise'. I no longer have the 'ringing' in my ears after a long ride.

UM-2's sound ideal. I may look into them when I come across some wealth. I hope someday Autocom will produce a Noise Atenuating system. That would be simply AWESOME!!!!

Shure E4c ear canal headphones and a Sansa MP3 player. Just have to be careful because other than music, all other noise is effectively gone - including engine noise and sirens on emergency vehicles :headphone:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses everyone. If I only had audio out, earphones alone would be no issue. But I also need the microphone for the Autocomm VOX and cell phone.

Thanks Sport. I will try some cheap-o foamies, which I have, first.

GunMD, I could go this route, but how does this all come together? In other words, how do you put it on? Do you put the ear phones in, then plug the autocomm cable in? In that case, you have the helmet cable (which now only carries the microphone signal) and the earphone cables both running up to the helmet? You have a picture?$52 is a little steep, but might be worth a try if the earplugs don't solve the problem.

-BD

Etymotic ER6i is what I use. They block road noise quite well. Equal to Howard Leight/30+db foam jobbies. No, I take that back...if inserted correctly with some vaseline to seal they work better.

They sound good...not the best you can buy mind you...however better-much, much than the standard ear bud jobbies.

However, they are not noise cancelling and not designed for helmets.

Thanks for the responses everyone. If I only had audio out, earphones alone would be no issue. But I also need the microphone for the Autocomm VOX and cell phone.
Thanks Sport. I will try some cheap-o foamies, which I have, first.

GunMD, I could go this route, but how does this all come together? In other words, how do you put it on? Do you put the ear phones in, then plug the autocomm cable in? In that case, you have the helmet cable (which now only carries the microphone signal) and the earphone cables both running up to the helmet? You have a picture?$52 is a little steep, but might be worth a try if the earplugs don't solve the problem.

-BD
Note that there are two different adapters available - one has 5 pins for the Pro-M1 and older units and the other has 7 pin connectors so make sure you buy the right one for your unit. Also, the $52 one has a coiled cord. There's an alternative style that has a straight cable and costs $42.

That adapter plugs in between the factory headset and the controller. There is a 3.5 mm jack facing down that you plug you earphones in to.

You can either remove or leave your speakers in your helmet (I left mine in) and that's the end of it - depending on your cabling setup, the adapter might be your 'extension cord' or it might not.

Works fairly well.

I have the Er6is and they work great with the AutoCom. As yamaholic said, they aren't the best (probably) but do sound "good enough." They also block out virtually all road/wind noise. You do have to have the $45 or so "special" cable to use them however.

Here's my story - Put the autocom mike in my and Lorie's helmet and used the earbuds - worked great, however, they bothered Lorie's ears to we installed the helmet speakers in her helmet. So, I'm using earbuds and Lorie is using the helmet speakers (and ear plugs). You guessed it, to make it so Lorie could hear thru the earplugs, the sound in my ears was to say the least, friggin' loud! (Now, we have the AutoCom Active 7 and can't adjust rider/pax volume separately - the newer AutoComs can, problem solved.)So, I put the speakers in my helmet. Volume all the way up, we can hear "ok" thru ear plugs. The 33db earplugs, for me, are too quiiet and I try for the 29 or below to we can hear each other better. I rarely listen to music when I ride, but if alone I still use the ER6is - I can get them in my ear and it works out ok even with the helmet speakers.

Good luck.

Simple solution to the 'too loud' earbuds is the Shure inline volume control:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-EA650-Volume-Con...VQQcmdZViewItem. Not my auction

042406132855.jpg

Yo peeps,
I currently ride with a FF helmet which is outfitted with Autocomm communications (mic and speakers). The helmet is not the quietest model on the planet, and I generally prefer to ride with the shield down, which results in clean but noisy air. Add to that the music I play through the speakers, and it is a lot of sound pressure. After a longer ride, I definately feel "worn out in the head", if you can imagine what I mean.

So, I am soliciting recommendations from you what to do. Do I:

1. Put in noise reducing reducing earplugs? If so, will the music still be audible through these? What models have mild to moderate attenuation and where do I get them?

3. Stop crying like a little girl and suck it up, even if it means I'll be wearing hearing aids in a few years.

TIA!

-BD
There's a guy in AZ named Al Schibi. Used to be a chopper pilot in Nam. Flew the MedEvac choppers in Phoenix for years. Long-distance rider. Rides to a lot of rallies selling custom-molded in-ear plugs with speakers. His e-mail is [email protected]. Contact him. He'll explain how to get a set of ear impressions made, either by an audiologist or just at one of those hearing-aid centers. You send him the impressions and he sends you the finished product in a couple of weeks. Right around $200. Absolutely awesome. They twist and lock into my ear canals and then I don't even feel them. I've worn mine for 7 hours straight. Total comfort. Deep, rich sound. Much better bass than I had with my Etymotics. Integrates to the Autocom using headset cable 1187 (straight) or 1188 (coiled). I wear them when I ride, listening to the iPod out by the pool, when I drive, you name it. Best money I ever spent.

No affiliation, although I do know him and I've seen the line of happy customers at his rally booth.