In memorium...Richard Christensen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich led a ride many years ago around the Clear Lake area... even though I didn't own an FJR, I showed up for the ride and he welcomed me as if we had been friends for years and put my mind at ease... it turned out to be one of "those" rides for me personally... when everything just clicked... the road, the bike, the rider, the scenery, the skies, and the kindred spirits to share it with... I will always remember him as he was that day... kind, giving, and funny as hell... wishing all those who knew him peace in your hearts as you deal with the physical loss of him. <3

EDIT: I found the video I had put together from that day's ride appropriately name the Magical Mystery Tour... it was awesome.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am truly at a loss for words. Susan, my condolences to you and your family. Shortly after you retired to Whidby, Rich posted here some words of wisdom about retirement that I copied and keep on my computers. I refer to them constantly and they now will have even more meaning to them. RIP our FJR friend.

It hurts to read this news, Susan. The obituary made me both smile and tear up. I smiled thinking of the afternoon I spent visiting you and Rich while he spent several hours painstakingly teaching me everything one would want to know about chainsaws, and we shared some great stories in the shop. I had spent time with him before but this was the first time we shared a bit about ourselves, and I left very happy having been taught by the master.

I was so happy to hear from Rich what a great time you both had in Scotland and Ireland touring, and was happy I could introduce you to my Irish friend Tony to look after you in Belfast.

Rich was a bear of a gentle man, funny, interesting, humble, and so very thoughtful when it came to his friends. I loved the visits with the PNW crew when Rich would return from the ocean with a truckload of fresh crab, and wed all swap war stories. It is a shame any of you passed up an invite. Susan usually baked a pie or fancy eats.

I had a standing request with Rich to carve a bear with his middle finger upraised. Rich probably thought I was joking but I wasnt. I wanted to piss off my neighbor and I secretly admired Richs amazing chainsaw carving skills.

I am sad typing this because I wont have the chance to share another great meal and story with Rich. Susan, he was loved by so many here on the forum, and I hope you find comfort knowing how close we carry his memory in our hearts now. It goes without saying we are here if you need anything- say the word and youll have a crowd at your doorstep.

I would love the chance to join my friends and share a moment, a toast, a laugh and likely a tear, thinking about Rich. Please accept my and Tanyas deepest condolences.

RIP my FJR brother, Rest In Peace. Met Rich during the many Napa runs, wonderful man.
Stunning news. I met Rich at the Feb. 2007 Napa run. His '07 was new and we followed that burgundy FJR as it followed you leading our pack, Dave. Ate with him at lunch on 101 that day - Hopland?. Absolutely great guy.

There was just nothing like beemerdons and Rich "insulting"one another in Irish and Dane jokes here. Ride on, brother Rich.

Very, very sorry to learn about this, Sue.

We had a true privilege to host you and Rich at our home in Tallinn, Estonia, back in autumn 2012 and we became good writing firends since then. What a wonderful man! I did exploit his kindness quite few times in receiving the aftermarket parts from US for my FJR. Although we did promise a countervisit to you in Seattle area, we never lived up to that, obviously due to some geographical obstacles.

At least we have a couple of photographic memories of Dr. Rich inspecting my bike in the shed and enjoying coffee with you, Sue, in our humble home. R.I.P.

G2AK1AK.jpg

aiCXQ8z.jpg

Devastating news, I am speechless and heartbroken. My condolences Susan to you and your family, R.I.P. my friend.

Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of meeting Rich, but I knew him. I knew him like we all know each other. We have a bond that is shared between like minded enthusiasts. I believe the FJR bond is extra special. We are not bikers and we are not posers.

We are riders and the motorcycle is the tool that we used to re-affirm our belief that the world is a beautiful place where good people do good things for the right reason. We are happy and honored to be part of this group. And when one of us is hurting or worst, we feel for them as though they are our own - because they are.

Ms. Christensen - I wish you peace soon. Know that your husband was loved, treasured, and respected by his extended family.

Never got the chance to meet Rich, but after reading this thread, I wish I had. Godspeed Rich....

My thanks to you, Susan, and my heartfelt condolences.

The glow so many have lent me, during the brief times our lives have crossed, warms me still. Yet those moments always somehow come to seem just too few and too brief.

And the pictures I have of those times are even fewer still. But they are glimpses into experiences that have become a part of me. Experiences that lend me, just as they do others, the strength to face tomorrow.

One such time was during a trip some ten years back. My son, Sean, and I accompanied Rich on a trip through Nevada, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, then met up with him again a few days later in Colorado.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

I am very glad to have had the opportunity to meet Rich, and to experience the genuinely warm and caring face he showed to Sean and to me and to so many others...

Forum Members:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have shared your posts with our children...both motorcycle enthusiasts...and it has been wonderful for them to see this aspect of their father. He so looked forward to his rides with you folks...especially those steeped in gastronomy, like the Reuben Run. Best wishes for fair weather and safe roads.

Sincerely,

Susan

I'm not sure exactly why, but I didn't even respond initially, because this just made me very sad. That's selfish, I know and I'm sorry. I just remember Rich being funny and just a good guy to hang around, and suddenly he's gone. These bother me more than they used to. Especially when the person is someone who lived a good life and shared that decency with others. He and Don were good friends, and he was always really nice to me, so maybe that's part of it.

I am very sorry for your loss. Dr. Rich will be missed!

So sorry to hear this. I met Richard on one of my first rides with FJRForum folks. He was so friendly and welcoming. Prayers for you, Susan and your family.

Haven't been around the forum for quite a while so I am just reading this. Dr. Rich was a great guy and will indeed be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.