In Search Of: The Perfect Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bikemiser. So you have the yamaha touring shield on your 2013. I am in search of a new windshield for mine. Im 5'5'' but I really like good wind protection. I had a Rifle Touring on my 2005 and loved it. So if you had it to do again would you still go with the yamaha one? I like the looks of it. I was gonna get the cee bailey but I dont really care for the flip.

ed
This is the second FJR I have had the touring shield. I prefer it to any other and the best price of any aftermarket shield I know of.

If you don't want to feel air around your helmet you got to have the top of the windshield above your helmet. No way around it.
Sorry - but defintely not true. With the right shield you can have a quiet, relatively still air pocket while still looking over the top of the shield (incl at go straight to jail type speeds). I say relatively, as even behind the largest screen, there will still be some air flow

The downside to that nice quiet pocket of air is slightly lower mileage, with best freeway mileage being with no screen at all

If you don't want to feel air around your helmet you got to have the top of the windshield above your helmet. No way around it.
Sorry - but defintely not true. With the right shield you can have a quiet, relatively still air pocket while still looking over the top of the shield (incl at go straight to jail type speeds). I say relatively, as even behind the largest screen, there will still be some air flow

The downside to that nice quiet pocket of air is slightly lower mileage, with best freeway mileage being with no screen at all
Really...no screen at all? ok I'm off to take Aerodynamics 101 refresher if I'm reading this right.

One of the other benefits of installing the spacers (IMHO) is that it allows more air flow up behind the windshield and I think that may reduce buffeting by reducing the negative pressure behind the screen.

I could probably figure a way to test this theory and will get back with results.

I could roll a cigarette(yeah that kind) and smoke it at 60 mph on my old 73 Honda 750 with Windjammer,,,,havn't really found anything like it since but the Rifle is the closest on the yammie...........

First, thanks to all the contributors to this (universal) thread.

Second, I'm not looking that hard, and I'm not looking for me. I get some wind on my helmet at most heights, and the faster I go the more force it has (duh). But, SWMBO is coming to the FJR pillion after years on a BMW R90/6 with a Windjammer style fairing and biga** windscreen. I could look over top of the screen, but it was fairly vertical, and pretty wide. Her complaint (which isn't that strong, yet) is that she gets a lot more air; hitting her arms and shoulders, and causing a draft up under her helmet. This was with the FJR shield from just below eye level for me to full-up. It seemed to be worst at full up.

So, if'n I was to change shields, it would be to get cleaner air for her. Suggestions and experience welcome.

I just got a Cee Bailey +4" tall +2" wide for the same reason. Haven't had a chance to get her on the back yet, but I'll try and let you know. She's 5'7" or so, so I'm hoping this will help. We have a nice UClear comm system we can't use above about 60 with the stock screen.

FWIW, I just switched my CB +0+2+MRA back to Stock+MRA. Won't be buying anything else, I'm happy as can be.

Her complaint (which isn't that strong, yet) is that she gets a lot more air; hitting her arms and shoulders, and causing a draft up under her helmet. ....So, if'n I was to change shields, it would be to get cleaner air for her. Suggestions and experience welcome.
Exactly why I got the Rifle, and pillion nice and happy

Flip screens are absolutely terrible for pillion as the disturbed air comes right down on them (and often you own back, which is why I hate them even for my own solo riding). You want the air to go over/around your passenger so they get the nice quiet air pocket same as yourself. With the Rifle, I (6', 32" inseam) look over the screen while pillion (5' 4") has quiet air.

The MRA is the nicest Summer shield I have ever used on any bike. The Rifle the best Winter shield I have ever used on any bike.

Of course subjective and is my opinion. YMMV

My OEM windshield with a Laminar Lip works great for me..!!
smile.png

https://www.laminarlip.com/fjr13.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the lines of the Rifle, but not the cost of admission. I suppose I'll watch the classifieds...
You may be watching a long time. If you want it go for it. I know it is salty but hey comfort and being happy is worth the cost of admission.

LIke the rest here I have spent a lot of money on shields only to find I did not like them and then take a bath to resell. Just not worth the time or money lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the lines of the Rifle, but not the cost of admission. I suppose I'll watch the classifieds...
You may be watching a long time. If you want it go for it. I know it is salty but hey comfort and being happy is worth the cost of admission.
LIke the rest here I have spent a lot of money on shields only to find I did not like them and then take a bath to resell. Just not worth the time or money lost.
Yes, as stated numerous times in this thread, the Rifle is worth it. It takes awhile to get used to the looks and the price tag, but after a couple rides you'll forget about all that! I don't think I've ever seen a used rifle wind screen for sale on this forum, at least not recently. Good Luck!!

Yes, as stated numerous times in this thread, the Rifle is worth it. It takes awhile to get used to the looks and the price tag, but after a couple rides you'll forget about all that! I don't think I've ever seen a used rifle wind screen for sale on this forum, at least not recently. Good Luck!!
I went through several windshields - stock, CalSci, V-Stream. Finally I broke down and bought the Rifle, and it was amazing.

Anyway, I had my Rifle for a couple months, and I guess the time kind of made me forget how big a difference it had made. I (foolishly) decided I didn't like the looks anymore (it does look kinda funky), and bought a Yamaha Tall Touring screen for cheap on eBay.

It stayed on my bike for two rides.

The Rifle is the only screen that has worked for me. And if you're anything like me, you'll forget all about what it cost the first time you ride with it. It really is that good.

Latest posts