• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

In serious need of maintenance manuals for my 07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 4-year member with 9 posts and asking you to take a sales conversation to email?

Everyone (even Steelbum) is aware of the recent complaints of scammers using PM to avoid notice, shifting to email, and then leaving their target without their money or their item. Yes?

So... SB and Mesing6, I would recommend both think long and hard about how this might seem comparible to the situations that ended with complaints (which the forum owners and admins can do NOTHING about - because they aren't Amazon).

A 4-year member with 9 posts and asking you to take a sales conversation to email?

Everyone (even Steelbum) is aware of the recent complaints of scammers using PM to avoid notice, shifting to email, and then leaving their target without their money or their item. Yes?

So... SB and Mesing6, I would recommend both think long and hard about how this might seem comparible to the situations that ended with complaints (which the forum owners and admins can do NOTHING about - because they aren't Amazon).
I get what you are saying - scamming is a real problem; even among those we consider to be on-line "friends". From a recent admin post, it is apparent that someone (or more than one) stepped over the line. Certainly, the forum owners can't be held accountable in any way. Ultimately, it has to be up to individuals. A transaction in a forum such as this requires a certain amount of trust between inmates. At some point, one side has to send money and the other side has to send an item. A risky business if one of the individuals is not a well-known and established forum member.

In any transaction, I want any price negotiations, exchange of addresses, payment options, shipping discussions etc. to be private. I guess the question is when (and how) to take things off-line via PM or email. Any suggestions or guidance on that?

I have done two significant transactions through this forum and both went well for all parties. In one instance, I bought a topcase and rack from a well-known member and there were no issues. Shipping was a pain and that had to be worked out via email. Not a huge cost but more than I would be willing to throw away - I wouldn't have bought from a newbie with a half dozen posts. The other was the purchase of a bike and trailer. Complex negotiation that couldn't be done through the forum. Cross-continent fly-and-ride so lots of legal documentation, deposits etc. I had to do whatever I could to ensure a fiscally safe transaction. (I was delighted with the outcome!)

For a purchase, I would prefer to ask/answer any questions about the item in the "for sale" post and establish that I wish to buy the item at the agreed price. I would want to take things off-line at that point. That lets the seller know that he/she has a likely sale and other readers know that the item is likely sold - to be confirmed by vendor once things are finalized.

Just my opinion...

I get what you are saying - scamming is a real problem; even among those we consider to be on-line "friends". From a recent admin post, it is apparent that someone (or more than one) stepped over the line. Certainly, the forum owners can't be held accountable in any way. Ultimately, it has to be up to individuals. A transaction in a forum such as this requires a certain amount of trust between inmates. At some point, one side has to send money and the other side has to send an item. A risky business if one of the individuals is not a well-known and established forum member.

In any transaction, I want any price negotiations, exchange of addresses, payment options, shipping discussions etc. to be private. I guess the question is when (and how) to take things off-line via PM or email. Any suggestions or guidance on that?

I have done two significant transactions through this forum and both went well for all parties. In one instance, I bought a topcase and rack from a well-known member and there were no issues. Shipping was a pain and that had to be worked out via email. Not a huge cost but more than I would be willing to throw away - I wouldn't have bought from a newbie with a half dozen posts. The other was the purchase of a bike and trailer. Complex negotiation that couldn't be done through the forum. Cross-continent fly-and-ride so lots of legal documentation, deposits etc. I had to do whatever I could to ensure a fiscally safe transaction. (I was delighted with the outcome!)

For a purchase, I would prefer to ask/answer any questions about the item in the "for sale" post and establish that I wish to buy the item at the agreed price. I would want to take things off-line at that point. That lets the seller know that he/she has a likely sale and other readers know that the item is likely sold - to be confirmed by vendor once things are finalized.

Just my opinion...

And when someone does like in the post above mine- a quote box with no typed reply- I immediately think SCAMMER/SPAMMER ALERT!!

Okay if nobody wants it and he's going to Chuck it in the bin I was giving it away for free but this is of a problem f*** it... I tried the stupid private PM's on this forum it didn't seem to f****** work so I tried to email instead

Okay if nobody wants it and he's going to Chuck it in the bin I was giving it away for free but this is of a problem f*** it... I tried the stupid private PM's on this forum it didn't seem to f****** work so I tried to email instead
I get what they are saying....I tried the PM also and it doesn't seem to work. I appreciate the offer and shipping can't be more than a few dollars. If you are scamming for 5 bucks you probably need it more than me. I give out more to people panhandling at red lights. Sent email. Thank you members for being careful.

Understood. The point wasn't to pick on your specifically but to use the example as a way to raise awareness and help people be aware of what they used to lecture us at work about ("the appearance of impropriety"). It's not that there is the intent but that the presentation gives it a sketchy appearance.

Also, sometimes a lack of a PM reply is nothing more than someone who doesn't get on often or doesn't check PMs automatically when on. (Again, nothing nefarious)

I cant believe all the fuss about two adults talking to each other *gasp* off the forum over the COST OF SHIPPING OF A BOOK....IE MEDIA MAIL.....as some scam. I'll conduct private transactions with who I want & with whatever method I am comfortable...& the opposite party will do the same or they wouldn't be doing it either. I'm a big boy. I don't need daddy forum holding my hand. & if I do get scammed at some point (hasnt happened in years & dozens of private transactions--some done on pure honor system) the idea I would consider the forum responsible is just as ludicrous.

Maybe you didn't see the flurry of "I was scammed" posts and the events around those. The forum owners and admins can't get involved in resolutions but it wouldn't be kosher for us to allow it to go on without trying to stop the forum from become the vehicle for such things routinely.