(In)Tech Day 2020

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
OK folks. It's getting closer to that time of year again. Looks like the tech day will be a little earlier due to when the dates fall. I don't want to do it the week before SEO Ramble, so it will be two weeks before. Official Tech day to be Saturday April 18, 2020.  What thinks you? Ray? Bill?

As usual, I have pretty much anything you need for any job, tools and experience, even if the Canadians don't show up. (They better, though. I will have much stricter tool security this year)

I have limited interior accommodations, but have a yard suitable for camping, as well as, a huge deck that could accommodate 2 to 3 tents. As usual, I can provide transportation to local hotel accommodations if needed.

I'll chirp !

Bob,  I am going to try and make this. (I say that every time) Don't know which bike I will ride up, but showing up and learning some things

would make it worthwhile. Definitely putting it on the planner and hoping for a clear weekend.

-Tony

I'll chirp !

Bob,  I am going to try and make this. (I say that every time) Don't know which bike I will ride up, but showing up and learning some things

would make it worthwhile. Definitely putting it on the planner and hoping for a clear weekend.

-Tony
It would be great to see you Tony and expand your FJR knowledge. So far it looks like we will be doing, at least,  one valve clearance check. Still waiting to see what anyone else needs to do. I will be down at Dan's this week. You should stop by!

It would be great to see you Tony and expand your FJR knowledge. So far it looks like we will be doing, at least,  one valve clearance check. Still waiting to see what anyone else needs to do. I will be down at Dan's this week. You should stop by!
I hope to stop by Dans event also. I have much going on, but plan on stopping by Saturday.

Thanks Bob!  Not sure if I can make it or not.  I'll be there if I can work things out.  It's always great to see you.  Please serve drinks in plastic cups for the clumsy attendees.  If any of you within riding distance of FYB's haven't been to a tech day yet, get this one on your list.  Great fun!

Well folks, with the extension of the social distancing through the end of April, I will have to cancel this tech day.

Do your part and stay safe and healthy. 

I hear ya. The latest is we're in lock-down until May.  Thanks Bob. I'll check back in case you want to try for October.

Frankenbike needs some TLC

Baz

I hear ya. The latest is we're in lock-down until May.  Thanks Bob. I'll check back in case you want to try for October.

Frankenbike needs some TLC

Baz
What do you need done? We could probably work it out sometime. I am not going to schedule any group things until this has all passed. The Governor has extended the stay at home order through June 10th.

WOW...We're still talking about the end of April here in PA, unless the Governor decides to extend it further . 

At some point, I was planning to rip off all the plastic on the 04 and test/replace all relays, and clean all electrical contacts. I have an intermittent ignition switch failure. I replaced the switch with the approved "recall" switch, but that was never the problem. I tore-down the original ignition switch and the contacts and wires were perfect.  Sometimes I'll turn the ignition switch to on and I get nothing. No power. So I'm thinking it's a relay. It's most prevalent in the summer months when the weather or the bike is hot. On a hot re-start I'll get the failure. If I turn it off and on a number of times, I'll eventually get power (and once powered it stays that way). I never get a situation where the bike is running and suddenly dies. So I think it's gotta be a relay.  I have to get a wiring diagram to chase the ignition circuit. I was going to replace the relays behind the gauge cluster and then look for a relay(s) near the starter.  I'd also love to figure out how to get the ABS working. Occasionally, when I'm running down the road I'll get a blinking abs warning light, but that's all. I'm pretty sure I have the sensors lined up properly, but I've never tried to fool with the ABS pump.   So that's my agenda for working on Frankenbike. 107,000 and still going. Sounds like shit on start-up, so much quieter and happy once warmed up.

Please let me know what you're thinking, I'm sheltering in place for at least the next 30 to 60 days.

I just checked my stock and I have an ignition wiring harness for an 04 but it doesn't have the relay. I think I used it on Heidi's bike. Otherwise it sounds like doing some routine checks like throttle body sync, plugs, etc. Might even consider removing the throttle bodies and cleaning them. I also have the connectors to clean the injectors. 

I posted a video to youtube. It’s the weirdest thing.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.  I’m at a loss to explain it.   

Thanks Bob.  

If wiggling the key doesn't make a difference then it pretty much has to be the relay.  When it is failing, try tapping the relay case with a screwdriver.

This is Frankinbike (Steve Howard-Radio Howie's) bike. Somewhere along the way he added what I'm guessing is the "Brody relay" Ersatz electronics? The ignition switch is brand new, and when it's turned to on, that relay works. Obviously it's starting, so the ignition relay is working. I'm thinking there's a short somewhere, but I have not found it yet, and I'm wiggling wires like a madman trying to duplicate the condition. 

I have a spare for the ignition relay, I think I'll start there.

Blassoff

It sounds to me like the 70 amp Panasonic relay has become temperamental. I’ve seen this happen on several of these harnesses, my personal one included. Since you now have the latest (recall) design ignition switch from Yamaha, you should be ok in pulling the Ignition Relay Harness out of the circuit. Yamaha updated the design of their switch by adding a parallel path through the second set of contacts already in the switch. 

If you decide to retain the Ignition Relay Harness, the 70 amp relay is special and has a differently shaped socket to prevent a lower amp capacity relay from being installed; much like the old style screw in fuse panels on an older house. The advantage for keeping this Ignition Relay Harness in place is to protect the ignition switch contacts from overheating when the resistance from oxidation becomes a factor, handling the amperage demanded from the electrical system. The relay is designed to handle it, the ignition switch only triggers the relay.

You can buy a replacement relay here:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electric-works/CB1AH-R-12V/255-3344-ND/2804735

Buy two of them, they’re cheap.

Brodie

🙂

Brodie, I followed your advise and ordered two replacement relays.It's just strange to me (not that I have extensive experience with it), but when I turn the key to on, I can physically feel and hear the relay on your harness "switch". I hope this resolves my issue. I've been thinking about this for the past year as it's been a constant-inconsistent problem. If I had any hair left, I'd have been yanking it out trying to find the source of the problem. Boy, Ir'd be fabulous if you're right. As it's currently behaving, I'm going to button the bike back up and go for a ride. To all, thank you very much for the input. I'm excited that I might finally have this problem solved. As usual, just waiting for parts. The saga continues, as Viktor said, "it's alive, IT'S ALIVE". Now for a long ride, copious amounts of seafoam, and an oil change. YeeHa, Baz