(In)Tech Day VI 05/19/2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was an awesome day. More awesome than I hoped for.
The ride from NC to the event was rainy enough to be a challenge for me. I have never taken a long ride in the rain. I survived intact on the oldest FJR to show up.

On the way home, the FJR temperature readout was dead and the yellow light on. My guess is that the connector that was so difficult to get apart should be replaced with a shiny new Weatherpack connector. They are $5-ish on eBay so that will be the next project.

About 30 minutes from home, one of my left side case cover decided to come loose. I duct taped it parked on the side of RT 29 in NC. That cost me 15 minutes. Otherwise, it was a 5 1/2 ride home with some steady rains.

Is there a rebuild guide for installing a side case cover?
I believe you just need to glue it back on.
Any good thread(s) about gluing it back on? Obviously the OEM glue did not hold. What would be the proper glue and proper prep?

Try this one:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/138147-side-case-split-apart

You can really help yourself a lot by using the Advanced Search feature. There's a LOT of information here, gathered over the 15 years or so that FJRs have been around.

Advanced Search is the gear icon to the right of the search box. (Upper right corner of any page.) To find the thread linked above, I searched for "Side case cover", and used the quotation marks. (Using the quotation marks supposedly forces the search engine to seek the precise phrase.) Results included 24 threads, so maybe one of the other 23 also has something useful. Also might be enlightening to search for "side case cover glue".

Oh yeah, the search criteria must be more than three characters, so it's futile to search for oil, or FJR, or MP3, and the like..

FOR OLDTIMERS: I'm not bitching, only trying to demonstrate how to perform an Advanced Search. Appropriate, since the question specifically asks for an existing thread that covers this subject.

Last edited by a moderator: