(In)Tech Day VI 05/19/2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I am new to posting here. I live near Greensboro NC.

I definitely want to perform a valve clearance check. My 2003 FJR has 50k miles. I bought it with 45k two years ago.

I have a shim kit.
I plan on meandering up on Friday the 18th from Asheboro, maybe via Lynchburg, VA to meet up with a buddy. No specific plans yet but you're welcome to ride along if you want. We don't get in any hurry & take regular breaks.

I plan to meander Friday the 18th as well. You can reach me via pm here. We can meet somewhere convenient on your route Friday.
Excellent! I've already made my motels reservations so as time gets closer I'll be in contact.

HC,You will need to give yourself time to allow the engine to be completely cold. You will need the coolant O-ring, valve cover gasket, coolant and the side cover gasket. Has your cam chain tensioner been upgraded? If not get a new one. I will PM you my address. I have family in the Greensboro area, so I know how long it takes to get there from here. The first post has information on local accommodations.
Does a 2005 already have the updated tensioner?

I don't know if the '05 has the updated version. As I stated previously, the cost to replace it far outweighs the cost you would incur if it is an old one and fails.

I don't know if the '05 has the updated version. As I stated previously, the cost to replace it far outweighs the cost you would incur if it is an old one and fails.
I doubt that the 05 had it...the original tensioner in my 06 had the older version, so it's replacement was covered under the Y.E.S. warranty.

Yes. It is still on. Help would be awesome. I think we will be doing at least FOUR valve clearance checks.

I wish I could make it but will be riding to Paris Landing in West Tennessee this weekend. Sounds like it will be a good one and take care.

It looks like Mother Nature is going to be in a bad mood this weekend. The garage will be dry. It remains to be seen if anyone shows up!

Sure wish I could make it this weekend. Rain or shine, Bob has a great tech day. I have to attend my Grandson's birthday party and will have to take a rain check this time. No pun intended. To all of you who are going to this fun event, have a great time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad, but totally understood. As the weekend gets closer I am wondering if there will be more dropouts if the forecast doesn't change. I will understand that too!

I'll be stopping in to say "Hey Goober! Hey Gomer!" Saturday morning to anyone else that shows up. I gots me rain gear & we all know the FJR is a "Go Faster, Stay Dryer" kind of bike.

Oh, and the rear tire didn't last, I put my car tire back on for the coastal straight-n-flat. No tire change needed this time!

See ya's!!

The garage will be dry. That's about all I can guarantee. Billy Fitz won't be here spilling drinks and smashing glasses.

A dry garage and knowledgeable participants is all that can be asked...and... will an awesome experience. I am packing to meet rbentnail this morning for the long ride to KG VA. I bought waterproof boots this week and some new Coolmax socks. We shall see how waterproof the boots actually are.

Thanks, Intech, for hosting this tech day.

sorry but I cant make it, I really wanted to be there and meet some of you. I cant get out of work, plus I still haven't got my seat back from getting it modified.

Wish I could have made it. Really wanted to see a valve check done, but we had a tree come down and the weather was just a bit much for me. I'm still relearning how to ride after 30 years off and I'm still a bit rain shy, lol...

Hopefully I will make the next one!

Regards,

Dan

It was an awesome day. More awesome than I hoped for.

The ride from NC to the event was rainy enough to be a challenge for me. I have never taken a long ride in the rain. I survived intact on the oldest FJR to show up.

On the way home, the FJR temperature readout was dead and the yellow light on. My guess is that the connector that was so difficult to get apart should be replaced with a shiny new Weatherpack connector. They are $5-ish on eBay so that will be the next project.

About 30 minutes from home, my left side case cover decided to come loose. I duct taped it parked on the side of RT 29 in NC. That cost me 15 minutes. Otherwise, it was a 5 1/2 ride home with some steady rains.

Is there a rebuild guide for installing a side case cover?

It was an awesome day. More awesome than I hoped for.
The ride from NC to the event was rainy enough to be a challenge for me. I have never taken a long ride in the rain. I survived intact on the oldest FJR to show up.

On the way home, the FJR temperature readout was dead and the yellow light on. My guess is that the connector that was so difficult to get apart should be replaced with a shiny new Weatherpack connector. They are $5-ish on eBay so that will be the next project.

About 30 minutes from home, one of my left side case cover decided to come loose. I duct taped it parked on the side of RT 29 in NC. That cost me 15 minutes. Otherwise, it was a 5 1/2 ride home with some steady rains.

Is there a rebuild guide for installing a side case cover?
I believe you just need to glue it back on.