Installed 1" Risers this morning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COGnosticator

Reaction score
Wen on a 150 mile ride yesterday, very comfortable.  Didn't notice anything bad with the riser position. I also installed a stock windshield from a touring screen but put a spoiler on the stock screen. Wind over my helmet in the low position.  So far it is a winner for me

Did you have to lengthen any lines or did it just fit right in? It appears that you have some aft adjustment as well with this riser kit. Did you find this to be true?
These look to be the same as the Gen-Mar 1" risers that have been around forever.  No additional adjustment available and no need to lengthen hoses. 

What is the reasoning for needing the risers?

I just got my FJR yesterday and on the initial rides I was finding that I lean against the bars too much causing my fingers to go numb after a bit. I'm wondering if adding a riser would allow me to sit back straighter a bit and avoid this palm pressure.

Or, it could be I just need to get used to riding again and relax. That is a distinct possibility also. 

What is the reasoning for needing the risers?

I just got my FJR yesterday and on the initial rides I was finding that I lean against the bars too much causing my fingers to go numb after a bit. I'm wondering if adding a riser would allow me to sit back straighter a bit and avoid this palm pressure.

Or, it could be I just need to get used to riding again and relax. That is a distinct possibility also. 
Adding risers addresses this exact issue. I bought my FJR almost two years ago, and after one season I also noticed the pressure on my palms and the fatigue after riding several hours. I went with the same type of risers and it made a noticeably difference. Last fall I rode 1,000 miles over two days, and I had no problems with my hands, arms, or upper body. Totally worth the relatively small expense and small amount of work to install these!

Congrats with your new FJR.

I installed these this morning in about an hour. I buzzed around a bit to check them out. They allow me to sit somewhat more upright. That is to say it's noticeable but not drastic. There are no instructions included with these Chinese knock-offs which seems kind of stupid but the GenMar instructions work fine:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/media/files/GM.Y203.handlebar.riser.installation.instructions.yamaha.fjr1300.2006-.pdf

Edit: The following day I spent some more time trying these out. My sitting position is definitely more comfortable and relaxed after installing the risers.