Installing Factory heated grips this weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveFJR

Reaction score
I know there are cheaper options but, I like the integrated system into the factory harness and if anything does happen I don't have to listen to the local yokel dealer tell me, "well you have those heated grips wired in somehow, blah, blah, blah".

Anyways, am wondering if anyone out there has any hints or tips for installing these things before I embark on this journey?

Dealer just replaced my right grip and had problems with wire routing at handlebar. Take at look at this thread link which has the above mentioned link in it and another link plus some pictures.

I know there are cheaper options but, I like the integrated system into the factory harness and if anything does happen I don't have to listen to the local yokel dealer tell me, "well you have those heated grips wired in somehow, blah, blah, blah".
Anyways, am wondering if anyone out there has any hints or tips for installing these things before I embark on this journey?
Hello Dave,

Where did you get them and how much? Sam

Hello Dave,

Where did you get them and how much? Sam

accessories4bikes.com

https://www.accessories4bikes.com/product_i...roducts_id=9392

Seems like a good place to get mother yammie parts cheaper then at that home nest.

Finally got a ride in. Stoopid rain.

Thanks to UP's link the install was "smooth". Took about 3 hrs. Worst part of it was the dissassembly of the fairing to get at the grip connectors. OBTW the fatory manual sucks for doing this.

The test ride took place last Saturday with temps hovering around 35 degees F. Not too bad for you northern boys but for us fair weather pilots here in SOCAL that is just RUDE! Armed with the tourmaster Polar_tek, V-strom handguards and the newly installed heated grips I was off to the local yamaho dealership.

Oh man, Oh man, those things are SAHWEET. Should of did this SO long ago. For those of you on the cusp, JUST DO IT!

My 2 cts worth: I always have had GRIP PUPPIES on my FJR grips as they increase the diameter of my hand grip and are, therefore, easier on my hands. Soooo, when I thought about installing heated grips, I had an idea. I purchased the ATV version of the heater grids (identical power consumption in each grid) and installed them directly on the EOM grips. I then covered them with a new set of GRIP PUPPIES, and Voila. No problems removing the original grips...easily removable and replaceable. And they work beautifully. I have one problem-free year on the grips. BTW, I installed a heater controller, one of the AC chopper kind, not simply a reostat and I need it as the grips can get very hot.

Slardy