Installing Fuse Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil San Diego

One of "...those guys..."
Reaction score
--> legal disclaimer <-- I ran a search and found no answers. --> legal disclaimer <--

I'm installing a Blue Seas fuse box under the rider's seat of my 07A, but I'm wondering where folks are running the 12V wire from the battery? The most obvious place is between the tank and the heat shield on the right side, but is that too hot for the wires? Considering that wiring for the tank pops up through the shield, it seems that it should be OK, but I wanted to see what other more experienced folks here are doing. I am also planning on running farkle wires (volume control, PTT switch) on the left side over the shield.

Opinions for the FNG?

--> legal disclaimer <-- I ran a search and found no answers. --> legal disclaimer <--
I'm installing a Blue Seas fuse box under the rider's seat of my 07A, but I'm wondering where folks are running the 12V wire from the battery? The most obvious place is between the tank and the heat shield on the right side, but is that too hot for the wires? Considering that wiring for the tank pops up through the shield, it seems that it should be OK, but I wanted to see what other more experienced folks here are doing. I am also planning on running farkle wires (volume control, PTT switch) on the left side over the shield.

Opinions for the FNG?
On my '04 (not really that much different for what we're talking about), I came up the left side - just a matter of preference. As long as you put your wires in a loom, you should be fine. There are plenty of exposed wires in the area you're talking about, so, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I have an 05. My BlueSea is under the pax seat. I ran the +/_ to the battery across the engine bay under the tank (not sure why, but it works fine!). For the part thru the engine bay I ran the wires thru some NAPA Ashphalt looming and haven't had any heat issues in roughtly 15k miles. If you'd like pictures of any part of the install let me know.

Someone once posted a link for some asphalt wire loom that helped protect the wires from heat that was really expensive. Then someone else suggested using fuel line to protect the wires.

But as mentioned above, there are plenty of wires under the gas tank (and under the heat shield) that would indicate if you have the right wire, additional shielding won't be necessary except where the wire comes into contact with a metal object. This would protect the wire from both heat and chaffing.

I have mine going down the right side between the frame and the tank along with several other factory wires, protected at the contact points. Just be sure to try to steer clear of the coils to prevent unwanted engine noise in your farkles.

I’m currently in the process of installing my 12V power distribution box and I plan to run the + and – 12 Volts along the right side of the bike using the cable below that I found at McMaster-Carr.

Harsh Environment Multiconductor Cable Unarmored, 14/3 Awg, .42" OD, 600 VAC

Part Number: 8248K17

https://www.mcmaster.com/

It is good from -40 to 230ºF and costs $1.92 per foot.

I plan to connect the black and white wire together at the negative battery terminal and then connect the black wire to my 12 volt distribution box and use the white wire as GND for my Autocom system.

I also plan to install an in-line fuse holder (before the distribution box) for the +12 volts from the battery with a 30A fuse.

I bought my wires and connectors from a boat supply store. I figured they spend time in a harsh environment and their stuff is made to survive - worked out well so far!

Someone once posted a link for some asphalt wire loom that helped protect the wires from heat that was really expensive. Then someone else suggested using fuel line to protect the wires.

That would be me on the fuel line trick. Only I made a mistake......I meant to say heater hose. Insulates better than that asphalt stuff from Napa, and you can buy it in whichever I.D. you need for the amount of wiring you run.

Hell I got the whole thing velcro attached to my heat shield under my tank. No Problems at all!!

06AE, the heat shield works great

That would be me on the fuel line trick. Only I made a mistake......I meant to say heater hose. Insulates better than that asphalt stuff from Napa, and you can buy it in whichever I.D. you need for the amount of wiring you run.
But, the question that this brings up...how insulated does it really need to be? I mean, there are dangling wires in that same area that aren't in an insulating jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumpy, eh? Given some of the recent threads, I don't blame you.

There have been tons of threads on this topic. Here are some that may help . . .

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=17512&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=17028

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=17584&hl=

https://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/...agram-final.jpg

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...uesea&st=40

The problem with your "blue sea" search is that if you search on a three letter word, you get bounced. Run the words together and you'll get some hits.

Hope this helps.

Yea, just a bit. Looks like I may have gotten out unscathed... :yahoo: ...so far...

Thanks to all for the info. I saw most of the links that were posted here in my searches, but I was still not able to answer my question. Thanks folks, for the supplying info I was looking for. Cdogman, that was exactly the answer I wanted to hear.

I can show you how I ran the wires for my Blue Sea fusebox that is under my seat if you want. I live in the Rancho Bernardo area San Diego.

Just PM me if your interested.

But, the question that this brings up...how insulated does it really need to be? I mean, there are dangling wires in that same area that aren't in an insulating jacket.

Excatly. That's why a simple piece of heater hose works just fine. No need to get that expensive Napa stuff. I'm still amazed people have bought only a piece of it...my Napa dealer would only sell the whole thing which was, I believe, fairly expensive.

And the heater hose helps keep the wiring nice and neat, just like the expensive stuff.

Yea, just a bit. Looks like I may have gotten out unscathed... :yahoo: ...so far...

Thanks to all for the info. I saw most of the links that were posted here in my searches, but I was still not able to answer my question. Thanks folks, for the supplying info I was looking for. Cdogman, that was exactly the answer I wanted to hear.
Yer welcome.......... Piece of roast beef!!

If I'm not mistaken,Warchild suggested 16 gauge wire was all that was necces

ary to hook up a power distribution blockand relay, which I'm assuming is what a Blue SDea fuse block is as well.

I hope this is correct. I hooked mine up this way, unfortunately its not working so I must have hooked some wires up wrong somewhere. I hate electrical stuff. I've got no juice to my jastek outlet.

Glenn