Installing Tapered Roller Bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'mAllIn

Reaction score
I found some bicycle tools to help with my Timken roller bearing installation. Might be old trick for some and hopefully benificial to others. I bought them from www.ebikeshop.com. Cup remover is part # 004-TL7123, cup press is part # 004-TL8275.

Cup (or race) removal tool is in the center. Insert thru steering head, branches slip behind cup, good solid blow with hammer and voila, cup comes right out. Worked like a charm.

IMG_2097.jpg

Cup press. Insert thru steering head with new cups, screw together and press cups in steering head. Note the old cup in the middle. I used it to press against the new cups so they could seat all the way since both the bottom and top cup are slighty recessed in the steering head. I also used the (2) nuts at the bottom since the top handle couldn't be turned due to lack of clearance with dash. This tool could easily be "home-made" for about $10 at Home Depot. Also worked like a charm.

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

Note a bad or hard job to tackle with the right tools.

Thanks for the great pic's and helpful tools. I have the

bearings and just need some time to install them.

Chuck

What is the advantage of these bearings over the stock ones?
Now that's a good question.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few benifits.

The tapered rollerbearing withh give a larger bearing contact area therfore taking more load without damaging either the cup or the roller. This would therefore also minimise wear and the development of free play.

You would also be able to load a tapered roller bearing more than the Yammi originals and therefore stiffening up or increasing resistance in the steering head, to some degree acting like a steering damper.

What is the advantage of these bearings over the stock ones?
Now that's a good question.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few benifits.

The tapered rollerbearing withh give a larger bearing contact area therfore taking more load without damaging either the cup or the roller. This would therefore also minimise wear and the development of free play.

You would also be able to load a tapered roller bearing more than the Yammi originals and therefore stiffening up or increasing resistance in the steering head, to some degree acting like a steering damper.
Yeah.....what he said!

I just finished installing my tapered bearings. I got tired of retorquing the stock ones (twice so far). I set them at 10 lbs. preload. Just wondering what the rest of you guys set your at?

What is the part number on the Timken steering head bearing kit? Where did you buy it?
Your dealer can order the kit for you.

ALLBALLS PART # 22-1003

Print Results

Steering Brg - Seal Kit

Distributor Name Distributor Reference #

Motovan 05-752

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Unlimited 22-1003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tucker Rocky 41-6237

KK 6700-391

Global 8945186

What is the part number on the Timken steering head bearing kit? Where did you buy it?
Timken part # 32006X 92KA1 and bought them from Applied Industrial Technologies - www.appliedindustrial.com.

I didn't go with the All Balls since they are Chinese sourced....just a weird personal thing.

Timken part # 32006X 92KA1 and bought them from Applied Industrial Technologies - www.appliedindustrial.com.

I didn't go with the All Balls since they are Chinese sourced....just a weird personal thing.
I can understand the Chinese thing! But, for $31 including seals (reused the top original, liked it better) hard to beat! Road the bike for the first time tonight with them. Bike is more stable and the damn clunking is gone finally! Bike just feels more precise now. I had retorque the stockers twice. I decided to retorque these to 15 lbs. instead of the 10 that I had previously set them to. Stock torque was 13.3 lbs. or 18nm. Could never figure why they put a heavy bike on balls instead of rollers except for a little lighter feel I guess. From what I understand even Wings have balls cause they sell a kit for those too! This ain't no R1! lol I'm happy with the results!

Last edited by a moderator:
I torqued mine at 25 lbs, preloaded to 35 lbs, then backed out and final at 25 lbs. Concencus seems to be that tapered bearings need more, or can handle more, torque than rollers. I'll finally get to ride today, so I'll report back. The bearing contact surface area between rollers and tapered is night and day, so I'm expecting good results.

25 lbs, Don't you think that's a little too high? You'll know when you ride it I guess. If it acts as though it wants to weave, it might be acting like a dampner causing you to have to correct all the time due to the stiction created by the bearings. Let me know how it works for you. Curious! Your right about the surface area difference of the two types of bearings, but having more contact area would lead me to believe that the stock torque or even a little less would be the case though. Having said that, I did set mine at 40 first torque, backed off and set at 15, 1.7 lb higher. Just for break-in reasoning I guess. I have noticed quite a difference though like I said in the previous post.

So how was 25lbs? I'm about to install a set of these for simlilar reasons. My stock shit is loose (again) 3rd time in 33k miles... :glare:

Oh and sans these bicycle tools ($85) to install a $30 set of bearings (crikees)... What's the best do it yourself method?

Last edited by a moderator:
So how was 25lbs? I'm about to install a set of these for simlilar reasons. My stock shit is loose (again) 3rd time in 33k miles... :glare:
Oh and sans these bicycle tools ($85) to install a $30 set of bearings (crikees)... What's the best do it yourself method?
I finally settled on 22lbs. But to be honest, I'm not sure how accurate my torquing was as the spanner wrnech is at a 90 degree angle. Not sure, but either way, bike handles like a dream and tracks straight, so I'm happy.

If you'll send me your address, I'll be happy to send you my fancy tools to use. Just send them back when you're done.

Can the stock seals be used with the new bearings? I have the same bearings ready to go in but was wondering if I need to order a special seal kit. Bike only has 4000 miles on it so the stock seals should still be good.

Thanks