Insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to err on the side of caution. I've seen the bad side of the underinsured, so, I prefer to pay a few more bucks to make sure I'm overinsured.

Sometimes they will give extra coverage just for asking. Most people want the cheapest they can get. So they give it to them. :cownoy:

Lets compare apples to apples, I pay $1,000 for a $140,000 Mercedes and the Ins co's want $1200 for a $10,000 motorcycle? Like, oh yea what a deal!

$90/year for minumum liability will do me just fine.........as if I hit a car and did over $20,000 damage I'd be alive to worry about it anyway...How do you lambrains think I got the money for a Mercedes anyway......(Hint)It sure wasn't giving all my money to the insurane companies to protect me from someone getting my money!!!

This poll will tell you pretty much what percentage of respondents own their bikes free and clear.

Those that have a lien holder are required to carry collision and comprehensive.

Yes, there are those free and clear owners who still like full coverage. I say whatever turns your crank!

I choose liability only!!

On up days :D On down days :(

I disagree. I paid cash for mine new. I have full coverage+ with 100/300/50 for comp and collision as well as liability along with $250 deductible all the way round.

All that tells you is I ride in rallies that require that kind of coverage and that, while I can afford insurance ($275 a year) and the deductible ($250), I can't afford to pay cash for another bike when such expenses can be managed through the above means.

BTW: By "liability only" does that mean you don't carry any health/injury insurance? Have you signed a DNR so that you won't become a ward of the taxpayer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I paid cash for mine new. I have full coverage+ with 100/300/50 for comp and collision as well as liability along with $250 deductible all the way round.
All that tells you is I ride in rallies that require that kind of coverage and that, while I can afford insurance ($275 a year) and the deductible ($250), I can't afford to pay cash for another bike when such expenses can be managed through the above means.

BTW: By "liability only" does that mean you don't carry any health/injury insurance? Have you signed a DNR so that you won't become a ward of the taxpayer?
And if you're really paying only $275/yr (which I seriously doubt) for full coverage, again, that's a deal....I'm referring to the poor guys here who are talking about company's quoting them upwards of a $1,000 or more.....

Liability only is just that......,,,,,,NO Uninsured motorist, No Personal Injury Protection, NO NOTHING, but straight liability....Texas minimums are 20/40/15,,,,,I can't imagine doing more damage than that to someone's vehicle and living to worry about it....but again if higher limits are cheap enough....no big deal...And NO, I don't buy health insurance on my auto insurance.....I actually have major medical insurance which takes care of me if I get cancer, sucked off the 18th Green at Colonial C.C. by one of those infamous Ft. Worth twisters you guys are so famous for, and of course would cover me if one of those 18 wheeler cow haulers you guys got running around all over town decides to run over me arse as I'm trying to make it back to Dallas.....

Like I say, $90 for liability,,,,oh yea make it $125 for the 100/300/50 increased limites.... and $275/yr for full coverage as you claim? Only in your dreams.....I'd like to have some of whatever guys are smoking over there....

And if you're really paying only $275/yr (which I seriously doubt)
I have insurance coverage similar to Bounce, and I pay about $400 a year with $250 deductible. My previous bike insurance company, which insured my Concours (same coverage limits) for less than $300 per year, quoted me over $1200 per year for the FJR. So I dumped them and went to the name brand insurer that covers my home and cars. I DO get a break on the cycle by having all my insurance with one company, but not enough to account for the difference between $400 and $1200.

It is VERY possible to find reasonably priced, full coverage insurance for the FJR. MANY have done so and reported as such in another insurance thread I saw.

Accourse, all the insurance companies watch these forums, and charge triple rates to trolls who badmouth them. Word.

And if you're really paying only $275/yr (which I seriously doubt)
I have insurance coverage similar to Bounce, and I pay about $400 a year with $250 deductible. My previous bike insurance company, which insured my Concours (same coverage limits) for less than $300 per year, quoted me over $1200 per year for the FJR. So I dumped them and went to the name brand insurer that covers my home and cars. I DO get a break on the cycle by having all my insurance with one company, but not enough to account for the difference between $400 and $1200.

It is VERY possible to find reasonably priced, full coverage insurance for the FJR. MANY have done so and reported as such in another insurance thread I saw.

Accourse, all the insurance companies watch these forums, and charge triple rates to trolls who badmouth them. Word.
well, hippiiiikywaaay for you......again, insurance co's now base rates on CREDIT SCORING, MVRs, and computer claim history (CLUE).......assuming everything is perfect and you life in a place where rates are low, I'm sure you'd find a $400 rate....but for those who aren't so fortunate to live in the boondocks or haven't figured out the system and have a bad credit score, thus stuck with a $800+ quote for their FJR......all I'm saying is YOU HAVE ANOTHER WAY OUT OF THE TRAP.........Finance with YAMAHA CREDIT who only requires LIABILITY........and it isn't that unusuall at all for people to insure the bike just for that....

Now enough of this,,,,I'm sure now even you get the point...

I never bought more than the bare minimum liability for a bike before I got my FJR, but somehow I convinced myself that for the first time I had a bike somebody might actually want to steal so I went for collision and theft thinking that I would only keep it for the first year.

Whether or not I keep the better coverage this year will probably depend on how much money is in my checking account when the time comes.

When I used to ride BMWs I always just left the key in the ignition when I parked them -- who would want to steal one of them? :D

Once, when crossing into Mexico to ride in Barranca Del Cobre on my XT350, I attempted to buy insurance on the Mexican side of the border an the little office the with the sign above the door saying "agente de seguros" (or, something like that). He said (looking out the window), "Where's your moto?" I answered and pointed to my little XT350. He said, "That! You don't need no stinkin' in-surance. You can't hurt anything with that!"