Interesting link on Motorcycle Batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
Hope you will find those informations usefull :rolleyes:

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/battery.htm

Types Of Charger

There are many battery chargers available. You should be sure to use a battery charger which is designed for motorcycles, a car charger will deliver too much charge.

Trickle chargers charge the battery continually at a fixed rate. However, they require a watchful eye as they do not have a way of responding when a battery is fully charged. Leaving them to charge excessively can damage the battery.

Taper chargers decrease the amount of current delivered through the battery as the voltage rises. As with trickle chargers they require a watchful eye to avoid overcharging. Both taper and trickle chargers are slow.

Pulse or intelligent chargers monitor and collect feedback from the battery's voltage during the charging process and drop into a standby mode once the battery is fully charged. When the battery naturally discharges to a certain level the charger will go into charging mode and restore the battery to its normal charge. A pulse charger can be left unattended for long periods of time, but you should still carry out periodic fluid level checks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I floated a 12V trolling battery at 13.8V as a standby battery for my home alarm system and got 10yrs out of it.

My computer UPS floats a 17Ah PowerSonic AGM battery at about 13.6V and it's at least 7yrs old.

Me thinks you guys worry about batteries a bit too much. <_<

Does anyone fret over their automobile battery? :rolleyes: