intermittent cruise control problem on 2014 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstewart

Reaction score
The summer of 2014 on a ride to Washington DC from Louisville KY I experienced a problem with the cruise control. when trying to add speed while in cruise by pushing the + resume the bike would not respond to the input every time. At other times it would add speed and then drop back to the originally setting. The dealer had the bike for 2 weeks and pronounced it fixed after replacing the switch assembly. Everything worked fine until last month on a trip to deals gap when the problem returned. This time the bike is out of warranty. Has anyone else experienced problems with the factory cruise control and no I do not power wash the bike, only hand wash and very carefully around the switch gear.

I haven't had your particular problem, but would think taking it back to the dealer would be my first step. Since it was done under warranty, and the issue reoccurred, it might still be covered. Just a thought.

Does the switch work reliably to do the "resume" function?

If not, I'd check for any connectors that the wire goes through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this sort of issue on my K1600 GTL, and BMW had a helluva time trying to diagnose and repair it reliably. They ended up keeping the bike for several weeks, consulting with the Fatherland, getting parts, computers, diagnostic cables, etc.... The bike was on warranty, and I traded it while it was still being repaired. Worked for me :).

But I know how aggravating it is for cruise control not to work. If you don't have cruise, you don't miss it ... but once you have it, if it isn't working, it becomes a real point of displeasure ... at least that's how it was for me.

Good luck getting yours sorted out.