Interstate End To End Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The I-20 ride was going very smooth, perhaps too smooth. In Dallas area my car tire went near flat. Inflated it and rode on. No nails, screws… could be found. That started the stress, which started the fatigue. I took an unscheduled motel stop before I start the I-25 ride tomorrow. Did some recouping on the bike (Seems to be running well now) I flipped 240k on the bike and 10k on this ride.

Weather has been a big factor on this ride. Seems July is always full of surprises.

So I-25 tomorrow, and a slow crawl back to family in Iowa. I-35 is planned, but I haven’t made a decision on it yet.

I-25 was going so well. I was running about 2 hours ahead of time limits, when the nail (That I couldn’t find) came out of the tire. At 80 mph the tire went flat very quickly. High speed wobble scared the crap out of me. I had to pump the fuel from aux tank to main tank, remove the bags and unload the trunk before I could put the bike on center stand. Found the hole when I was working the bead. Sticky string held after 1/2 hour of my compressor running. Stopped down the road (60 miles) to use air pump at a gas station. I was able to complete the 17 hour Gold ride with less than an hour to spare.

I arrived around noon the following day at my fathers. Oil change and no luck getting tire patched or headlight bulb replaced. I will make a decision on the I-35 ride later tonight. 

Back home this morning.

15 days on the road

15,644 miles

7 Interstate EndtoEnd rides completed with 7 “Gold” finishes (Pending certification)

Thoughts:

I can say I am astounded (Frustrated) at the volume of traffic on these rides. The Dallas area has been removed as a possible retirement location.

Klim Gen 2 Traverse pants maybe slimmed down, but apparently the baggy Gen 1 vent much better.

if you have problems with a darksided tire- expect NO help from cycle or car tire shops.

High speed wobbles suck

Back home this morning.

15 days on the road

15,644 miles

7 Interstate EndtoEnd rides completed with 7 “Gold” finishes (Pending certification)

Thoughts:

I can say I am astounded (Frustrated) at the volume of traffic on these rides. The Dallas area has been removed as a possible retirement location.

Klim Gen 2 Traverse pants maybe slimmed down, but apparently the baggy Gen 1 vent much better.

if you have problems with a darksided tire- expect NO help from cycle or car tire shops.

High speed wobbles suck
I'm not great with the maths, but that's a lot of per day miles!  Helluva ride!

I wonder if traffic was worse because most of the country was cooped up last year and now all making up for that?

I'm not great with the maths, but that's a lot of per day miles!  Helluva ride!

I wonder if traffic was worse because most of the country was cooped up last year and now all making up for that?

The daily average was much higher than it looks. I took 2 days off with my father. The gold rides are very tough with these end2end rides. I rode 38 hours straight on one ride and only finished 1 hour ahead of deadline. Construction delays and traffic really make these tough rides.

Congrats Tony!

And yeah, traffic is nutty everywhere. Probably a combination of a lost year and summertime travel to just get away. Weekends around these parts aren't any fun.

~G

Tony, you are quite amazing.  

I can’t imagine what fuel it is that drives your inner engine, but man… I think we all need a little bit of that.  I’m so happy to have met and talked with you back when you were telling us at NAFO Knoxville that you’d be slowing down from then on.  

I’m sure that you get tired of hearing it, but you are an inspiration to us mere mortal riders.  Cheers to you.

PS - I have heard that the NWT, Nunavut, Hawaii and (surprisingly) Newfoundland are feeling left out.