Iron Butt Rally 2007 Write-Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally think I can call my '07 IBR Report resonably finished. Who knew a 17th place would take four months to chronical?

It's four chapters long with the Prologue, Leg 1, Leg 2, and Epilogue....and I think Leg 2 is probably the best chapter of all. I certainly was at my riding best on that monster leg.

.....and see links to other reports on the blog.

Enjoy.

Ig

P1010073.jpg

I'll read it here shortly but, one question........

When did odot get the statue? Kinda overwhelms his porch. ;)

:jester:

Just read the whole goddamned thing! Excellent. Nothing beats adventure. What an undertaking - both the ride and your telling of the story!

I'd like to ask a couple of thousand questions, but for now, I'll just say thanks for putting it out there.

Peace

Took a quick glance and decided to NOT Evelyn Wood speed read this report.

Rather, will dedicate several hours to try and appreciate the true experience.

Nicely done, Iggie.

I’d communicated with French descendants that didn’t even share a common language with me, I’d learned how there’s no “r” in car in New England. I’d seen a neon glowing read Pagoda in the green mistiness of Pennsylvania and the rural flyover subtlety of Ohio. I had seen the tragedy of a building blown up by a very intolerant whack job in Oklahoma and somber grandeur and spirit of rock formations in the sovereign Navajo nation. I had been an alien amongst the glitzy poll-dancing glamor of Vegas and slept in the hot bowels of Death Valley while then launching vertically to the top of the world to touch a 4700 year old gnarled tree before lunch….all without burning it down. Then to wind the stark beauty of Ansel Adams in Yosemite and to happen across an enclave of unknown American culture near the Muir wilderness of California was gravy.
That is absolutely fuggin beautiful. Seriously.

Thanks all. Once in a while I get inspired to go on a writing jag and that certainly was one of the longer ones. Long-time in coming, but I'm hoping a few months of perspective added some flavor. I think beerme found one of the passages I'm most satisfied with. :rolleyes:

Dang blog software is frozen and I can't get comments back on...proof that computer nerds can't always solve their own problems.

I'll probably comb it once or twice more and see if I can find any better pictures, futz with a sentence here, and adjective there. You guys are one of the first audiences to really see it though.

Look at the pretty flower. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I scanned some sections and read a few in detail. Too bad I don't have wireless in the bathroom, otherwise I'd finish the whole thing in a, um, sitting. Nice work there, Matt. :good:

So far, I've read the Prologue and Leg 1 and must say thanks for posting. As I toy with the idea of doing a rally in the future, I appreciate your level of detail ... I almost feel like I was there. Thanks! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

great photos. i noticed a lot of those "word" things scattered all over the place but will have to go back and look at those later.

That was a thoroughly enjoyable read, Iggy! You did such an excellent job of conveying the experience; the highs, the lows, the physical and mental exhaustion, that the reader does indeed get a sense of what it'd be like to participate in an IBR. We should all be so fortunate to challenge ourselves so completely. What an experience that must have been!!

When you do your next IBR, please let me set you up with a pro A/V system to record the sights and sounds and, most importantly, your thoughts in real time. I'm sure it would make for a fascinating documentary!

Oh, and congratulations on doing a hell of a lot better than just finishing!!! :clapping:

Ig,

Can't tell you how much my family and I enjoyed watching, well reading, the progress of this years IBR. It was an evening ritual to visit the web site and get an update on the progress of the riders and the event as a whole. Your write up helped bring the experience back to life while at the same time putting a very personal twist to the adventure. As a person that loves a good 300 mile day but is not certain that they could go longer I am in awe of the singular accomplishment that all participants achieved.

Thanks again Ignacio for sharing the adventure.

CaryB

I had been reading it as you wrote it. The time between "chapters" had me keep going back to see if the next section was done.

Thanks for the great write up.

I scanned some sections and read a few in detail. Too bad I don't have wireless in the bathroom, otherwise I'd finish the whole thing in a, um, sitting. Nice work there, Matt. :good:
41,096 words in that tome...so I'm guessing it's either a 3 poop tome...or one would end up with some serious leg marks in one sitting.

Inspiration to write doesn't strike often, but it's fun what it does. Thanks for all the kind words...and I hope I will get the chance to write up 2009. ;)

It's great writing like your report that keeps the spirit of adventure alive for us motorcycle enthusiasts. GREAT JOB!! :)

Jay

'04 FJR 1300