Is a FJR a money thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify a bit here, there are two K1200GT's that I think have gotten mixed up in this thread: the old K1200RS-based version and a new K1200S-based GT that will ship about the same time the 2006 FJR ships.

The current/old K1200GT is a fairly flawed bike - sportbike ergos without sportbike handling or performance, a ridiculously space-compromised left saddelbag, and fairly short range. It is smooth, reasonably quick, has the telelever, and is beautifully finished. It's never sold very well. I think the FJR compares quite favorably, at any price, to this bike and every comparison test has had the K1200GT finishing last, well behind the FJR.

The new K1200GT will definitely give the FJR a run for it's money. It will probably be slightly more powerful, be just as comfortable, and will have a much more sophisticated suspension. But we'll have to see how it pans out - my guess is that most will think it the better bike, but not a $6K better bike.

I own both a BMW and the FJR and ride both everyday - each has it's strong points. The FJR is easy-going, ultra-competent, and essentially quirkless. It goes about it's business with no muss, no fuss. The BMWs are quirky but they have some very enduring qualities. The FJR feels very generic and Japanese. The BMWs feel German. It's a little like an Acura TL vs. a BMW 330i. The TL is the better car in most measureable ways and certainly more car for the money. But it isn't quite the driver's machine that the BMW is.

There is no doubt that the price of the FJR plays some role in most buying decisions. It's just hard to argue with the value and the low price lets one overlook some of the faults of the FJR. The big one in my book is simply that is looks and feels a little cheap - the BMW's are definitely nicer in the fit/finish category.

When I bought my FJR, I had 2nd doubts and even considered selling it briefly and keeping the BMW. After living with the bike for awhile, I've reversed myself - if I had to sell one or the other, the BMW would be the one to go. The FJR is just so ultra-competent at everything and so easy to live with day to day.

But don't doubt it for a minute - the new K1200GT is going to be formidable competition.

- Mark

Just to clarify a bit here, there are two K1200GT's that I think have gotten mixed up in this thread: the old K1200RS-based version and a new K1200S-based GT that will ship about the same time the 2006 FJR ships.
The current/old K1200GT is a fairly flawed bike - sportbike ergos without sportbike handling or performance, a ridiculously space-compromised left saddelbag, and fairly short range. It is smooth, reasonably quick, has the telelever, and is beautifully finished. It's never sold very well. I think the FJR compares quite favorably, at any price, to this bike and every comparison test has had the K1200GT finishing last, well behind the FJR.

The new K1200GT will definitely give the FJR a run for it's money. It will probably be slightly more powerful, be just as comfortable, and will have a much more sophisticated suspension. But we'll have to see how it pans out - my guess is that most will think it the better bike, but not a $6K better bike.

I own both a BMW and the FJR and ride both everyday - each has it's strong points. The FJR is easy-going, ultra-competent, and essentially quirkless. It goes about it's business with no muss, no fuss. The BMWs are quirky but they have some very enduring qualities. The FJR feels very generic and Japanese. The BMWs feel German. It's a little like an Acura TL vs. a BMW 330i. The TL is the better car in most measureable ways and certainly more car for the money. But it isn't quite the driver's machine that the BMW is.

There is no doubt that the price of the FJR plays some role in most buying decisions. It's just hard to argue with the value and the low price lets one overlook some of the faults of the FJR. The big one in my book is simply that is looks and feels a little cheap - the BMW's are definitely nicer in the fit/finish category.

When I bought my FJR, I had 2nd doubts and even considered selling it briefly and keeping the BMW. After living with the bike for awhile, I've reversed myself - if I had to sell one or the other, the BMW would be the one to go. The FJR is just so ultra-competent at everything and so easy to live with day to day.

But don't doubt it for a minute - the new K1200GT is going to be formidable competition.

- Mark
Yea it sounds like it will be real nice.

I just don't trust BMW to admit the problems if there are any, let alone fix them.

Would you buy an FJR if Yamaha said "Ticking??? Our engineers are perfect! None of our bikes tick!"?

I was looking at BMW's untill the surging problem cropped up and I saw BMW's response... "Its a BMW! BMW's are German engineered, They can't surge!"It reminded me I've seen this viewpoint from Germans before.

I'll never buy a BMW.
Exactly part of my point.

My wife has a VW bug and although not a BMW, it's the last German thing I'll ever buy. It's not that it's a bad car it's just the proprietary nature of many of the parts and such.

-r
FYI, your bug was probably made in Mexico......

I was looking at BMW's untill the surging problem cropped up and I saw BMW's response... "Its a BMW! BMW's are German engineered, They can't surge!"It reminded me I've seen this viewpoint from Germans before.

I'll never buy a BMW.
The surge was fixed with the 04 model year when they went to a 2 spark engine.

This bait's awfully stinky, but what the heck.

I sold a $20,000 bike when I moved to the FJR. 'nuff said about price being the prime issue.

As an interesting aside, you might be interested in the number of riders who are switching from BMWs (and other models) to the FJR after riding the 2005 Iron Butt Rally. With 2 rallies under its belt (2003 and 2005), the FJRs turned in some respectable performances that appear to only be limited by the operator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a frugal guy, but the fact that the FJR was less expensive than the other bikes I was considering was just icing on the cake. Once I decided to buy a new bike I was prepared to pay whatever the price was for the one I wanted. I had a list if features that I had to have, with shaft drive, fuel injection, and 'go fast' at the top. After riding the FJR for a little over 4 months and putting about 9k miles on it I believe I made the right decision. Now all I need is just one more farkle... or maybe 2....

If you don't feel you have spent enough on the purchase price fo your FJR please feel free to make a check out for say, $8,000.00(that enough to make you feel you really spent enough?) and mail it to me. I will gladly accept all checks that arrive in my mailbox. Hope that clears your conscience. :D

Jeez, sounds like a bunch of H-D'ers around here. Price is not a linear relationship to quality and value!!! High prices do not ensure you are buying the best product! High prices tend to ensure the largest margins for the manufacturers. The world is littered with overpriced, average quality goods sold via marketing spin. H-D, Bose, Callaway, etc. all make a living selling very average products at inflated prices.

Money for a bike was no object for me. I saved up cash while I was riding an old Honda CB1000 Custom.

I looked at the Beemers--and I was initially sold. Until I researched them further and the current reliability and maintenance troubles they are having since the German economy tanked. They are just not 'all that'.

I even looked at H-D's and Gold Wings.

After all my looking and researching, I bought a FJR because it was perfect for me.

And it is....

When I bought my FJR I owned 2 BMWs. I chose it because it was a better bike for me.
Cheap? Not in my case. It's about value.

None of the BMWs, to date, performs as well as the FJR in the mix of faster, slower, turn - and in areas ease of use. And then, all come with crap I just won't tollerate anymore -- and have to pay extra to put up with. While the upcoming K1200GT might offer similar or even greater performance values, and similar accommodations... it's still going to cost more for crap I don't want.

To stay out of BMW Bashing, consider Cost Of Ownership issues for yourself - particularly including its "special fetures". Then consider every extra dollar also came at the cost of your time, and your disposition.

I want my bikes to be Fun. All aspects of owning this one have been just that. And that's quite the opposite of my BMW ownership.
Hint: Cost of Ownership.

Just what is the comparison for service over 5 years? Not everyone works on their own bike, so what is the comparison for tune-ups, oil/filter changes, etc. There's alot more to owning the different bikes than just the OTD price. The rumor mill is rife with reports that the BMWs must be hooked up to their dealer's proprietory computers for tune-ups. If true, that would certainly inflate the yearly cost of maintenance. All the above assuming one is riding more than 5,000 miles a year.

I got my FJR because it "rang my bell" when I saw a picture . I ordered it sight unseen and have never looked back. I keep looking forward...to the next meet, ride, hill or corner and I grin, giggle and smile in my helmet.

That feeling: Priceless!

I couldn't agree more with madmike2....

Having said that, and to relate to the question (in general):

Once I said (to friend who owns a fairly good-sized small business in the m/c industry), "Money ain't everything." He answered, "What planet are you from?"

Yea it sounds like it will be real nice.I just don't trust BMW to admit the problems if there are any, let alone fix them.

Would you buy an FJR if Yamaha said "Ticking??? Our engineers are perfect! None of our bikes tick!"?
It's the pot calling the kettle black if you think Yamaha has someone stepped up to the plate on it's ticking issue any better than BMW has on it's various issues (surging, final drive, etc.). Yamaha has stonewalled the issue with the best of them.

As all vehicle mfgs basically do; they stonewall until the problem becomes severe enough that it makes economic sense to fix it.

- Mark

I own both a BMW and the FJR and ride both everyday
And at the same time no less :D

If money was no object I would own every two wheeled motorized thing I could get my hands on, I like everything, even mopeds B)

So, all of you are telling me that if you had a choice of any motorcycle made (lets say it's a christmas present from your rich Granddaddy), you'd choose the Yamaha FJR? On the assumption that you could only own one bike and couldn't sell it of course............

I read the magazine reviews two years before the bike was available in the US and I knew it was going to be my first bike that was not a full-on sport bike.

I like a deal as much as anyone, but I would have paid more for the FJR if that's what the market required. As it is, I got a very good deal from my local shop and couldn't be happier.

I've always been a Honda and Yamaha guy, so it was no stretch for me to go to the FJR. The only unknown was could it satisfy my sport bike needs. I am happy to say the answer is YES. I chose to keep one bike now, and the FJR is the best compromise between sport and tour, for my purposes.

What I really want Honda or Yamaha to do is quite simple, really:

180 rear-wheel HP

Shaft drive

Weigh no more than 600 lbs

Luggage like the FJR

Heated grips

Heated seat

GPS option

Cruise control

Electric wind screen

No linked brakes

ABS option

Handles as good as the FJR (or better)

OK, I realize I've described an FJR on steroids. Well, that's what I want.

Now the first company to build that, gets my money. I'd pay what the market says such a machine is worth. Until then, I'll stick with my '05 FJR.

Is BMW as good about fixing out-of-warranty catastrophic shaft-drive failures for free as Yamaha is about fixing o-o-w ticking? Not from what I read. but you're 100% correct that all Mfr's do a cost/benefit analysis before running recalls or even improvement programs.

So, all of you are telling me that if you had a choice of any motorcycle made (lets say it's a christmas present from your rich Granddaddy), you'd choose the Yamaha FJR? On the assumption that you could only own one bike and couldn't sell it of course............
No, what we're telling you is we did have a choice of virtually any motorcycle made.

No, most of us were not cost constraned.

No, we are not contrained to have only one motorcycle, though a large percentage of us do only have one.

No, we can sell or give away our motorcycle at any time, next year, next week, or even tomorrow.

Yes, we chose an FJR. And, yes, we still have it.

Get real. :blink:

I think someone else stated it in their reply. I'm at a point in my life where I really could have set aside as much as it took to buy the right bike for me. I might have had to wait a little bit longer for some and a little less for others. When it came down to it, nothing else quite seemed to fit what I wanted out of a bike like the FJR.

That doesn't mean I may not turn around and buy another bike from another brand down the road, maybe next year, maybe ten years. But for where I am right now, this is the one.

The surge was fixed with the 04 model year when they went to a 2 spark engine.
The R259 engine was introduced in 1994. It took them 10+ years to acknowledge and fix the problem. They won't get any more of my money.

Adios...

Woody

So, all of you are telling me that if you had a choice of any motorcycle made (lets say it's a christmas present from your rich Granddaddy), you'd choose the Yamaha FJR?
Yes. I think that's what most here are at least alluding to...

Perhaps you just don't get it..or perhaps you should try the same question at something other than a FJR Forum . Like a BMW one...and only ask those that never have ridden the FJR...

KM