Is a FJR a money thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, all of you are telling me that if you had a choice of any motorcycle made (lets say it's a christmas present from your rich Granddaddy), you'd choose the Yamaha FJR? On the assumption that you could only own one bike and couldn't sell it of course............
Just my opinion of course but yes - that is what I would get and that includes any true custom. The FJR does the best of the two types of riding that I enjoy - touring and going fast. I already have a tricked out Warrior that I am selling because it doesn't do the touring aspect of my type of riding. I'll be keeping my Roadie because it does the touring and traveling part very well but my guess is that it won't get a lot of use. For ONLY ONE bike the FJR offers the best performance, looks, ergonomics and sport-touring capability out there regardless of price. A Wing is a great bike - nice performance and hard to beat the comfort but it's FUGLY IMHO. Now I don't ride two-up because my wife rides her own bike so you can see that with 3 bikes in the garage it is not a money issue. If she rode on the back I might consider the BMW'r or the ST because of their passenger ergonomics but I don't need that. IMO those two look like crap with the bags off if I want to pretend I'm on a sportbike.

The surge was fixed with the 04 model year when they went to a 2 spark engine.
The R259 engine was introduced in 1994. It took them 10+ years to acknowledge and fix the problem. They won't get any more of my money.

Adios...

Woody
They never acknowledged the problem, I read an artical where a BMW rep was asked if the 2 plug engine handled the surging when it came out and the reply was "There is no surging, that was just an invention of a few people on the internet".

So, all of you are telling me that if you had a choice of any motorcycle made (lets say it's a christmas present from your rich Granddaddy), you'd choose the Yamaha FJR? On the assumption that you could only own one bike and couldn't sell it of course............
Yeah. That's what I did.

The FJR is the bike I'd buy if money were no object 'cuz it's fast, like a marsupial.

For a second bike, I have no idea what I would get--maybe one of those Rebel 'Wraiths' 'cuz they're weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
About a year ago, I wanted a new touring bike... My options at the time were a Honda Goldwing, a BMW K1200LT or an HD Ultraclassic Electraglyde. Money not being an issue, all I had to do was decide wich one to get. Then I came across the FJR (and its forums). The more I learned about it, the more I wanted one. Four agonyzing months of waiting later I was riding Pandora with a grin on my face that hasn't gone away.

Now, Pandora takes naps in my garage whenever I get off of her, any other time we can be found out on the twisty roads of AZ. I am glad I found out about this great bike, its forums, and the people that ride it. BMW who???

At the time I was looking for a bike I did try the BMWs. As with the Honda touring bikes they were better appointed than the FJR, but the FJR seemed to have a better balance between sports and touring than these.

The Ducati and Apprilla touring bikes were in some ways more appealing from an "emotive" perspective (I'm half Italian which might explain why!), but in other ways they were not as capable in the areas that counted to me.

Dollars were less of an issue, in fact if money was the criteria then the Triumph Sprint would have put less of a dent in the bank balance. Neither is pillion comfort 'cause I ride solo.

At the end of the day it was a balanced judgment of the type of riding to be done, the level of comfort needed (I'm not ready for an arm chair on 2 wheels as one policeman described his BMW cop after he'd flagged me down - yes speeding!) and value for money as opposed to cheapest option.

All this talk about money being no object has got me worried. <_< I suspect that the folks at Yamaha take a look at our forum once in a while to see what we're saying about their handiwork. Let's not give them any ideas about raising the price. I may need to get a replacement for mine some day. :greedy:

At age 52 the FJR is my first bike. The only place that would let me test ride bikes (new BRC graduate) was Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg, VA. A great place for anyone in the area. Rode a smaller BMW, 1150RT, and the 1200LT on 2 separate occasions and I'm sure they'd have let me ride more if I wanted. I was set to buy an 1150RT until I started talking to a buddy about the FJR. He's got the Feejer, V-Max, and HD Road King - rides the Feejer probably 90% of the time. Gotta admit, cost was a consideration, but not a deciding factor. Figured there must be an ambush waiting in buying a bike that was ~$4,000 less than the 1150 and a WHOLE lot more bike, did I say a WHOLE lot more bike! Yeah, it cost me $30 to put on heated grips - but what the heck. Best decision I ever made, except for the other ones, and never have and never will look back!

I appreciate all the responses......Thanks to everyone for their imput as it sure helped me in reassuring myself about the FJR decision.......Plus, I've come across some info on a BMW site indicating the new 06 BMW K1200GT will possibly MSRP for around $21,000.....MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! I guess if I was a billionaire I would definately have a BMW K1200S sitting in the office at home, sorta like a piece of artwork....

Meanwhile, see ya out on the roads my friends.......And if someone passes you going a 100 mph doing a wheelie on an 06 Silver FJR AE, YOU CAN BEAT YOUR ASS, IT AIN"T ME!!!!

So, all of you are telling me that if you had a choice of any motorcycle made (lets say it's a christmas present from your rich Granddaddy), you'd choose the Yamaha FJR?
Yes. I think that's what most here are at least alluding to...

Perhaps you just don't get it..or perhaps you should try the same question at something other than a FJR Forum . Like a BMW one...and only ask those that never have ridden the FJR...

KM
Well haven't rode the FJR, hope to do so if I can find a used one to test. I have rode the BMW K1200S 2005 model. The BMW was everything I expected. I have never owned anything but Yamaha's last two bikes were both Vmax's.

Like KM said if you ask this same question on a BMW site (bmwk1200s.com) watch the reponse you get.

The K1200S did everything right. Took corner bumps fantastic with that crazy front end, brakes were excellent, NO SURGE, smooth and fast. I will reserve my final judgement until I find a way to ride the FJR. I am however impressed with a company that will have bikes set aside to demo. Wish ALL manufactures did that.

Good luck on your choices, me I'll know soon enough.

Rookie :agent:

I have notice many saying they are drawn to the FJR because it's a deal..as BMWs have gotten way too expensive......
Is that the big draw........the cheapness? You don't have enough money for BMW or just too cheap to put out the bucks?

If money was no object........would you even in the slightest sense consider this bike over the BMWs new K1200GT priced around 19K?
I rode the K1200GT and the R1200RT and picked the FJR. Money was not an issue, other than I didn't mind keeping some. The issue was a combination of smoothness of use (brakes, power delivery etc.), power delivery, and handling.

The K1200GT is difficult to get into the turns compared to the RT and the FJR. The RT is at best "too touchy" with its huge torque at low RPMs and grabby brakes that the salesman said "require a two finger feather".

Well haven't rode the FJR, hope to do so if I can find a used one to test. I have rode the BMW K1200S 2005 model. The BMW was everything I expected. I have never owned anything but Yamaha's last two bikes were both Vmax's.
Like KM said if you ask this same question on a BMW site (bmwk1200s.com) watch the reponse you get.

The K1200S did everything right. Took corner bumps fantastic with that crazy front end, brakes were excellent, NO SURGE, smooth and fast. I will reserve my final judgement until I find a way to ride the FJR. I am however impressed with a company that will have bikes set aside to demo. Wish ALL manufactures did that.

Good luck on your choices, me I'll know soon enough.

Rookie :agent:
Frankly, with the bikes you're looking at, I don't think you'll be unhappy no matter which one you choose.

Rookievx1, where are you on the Pacific Coast? If you're in Norcal, I might know where you can get a short ride.

@ O'valeFJR, we've missed you. Whar ya bin?

Well , I have not test ridden an FJR but have the Colbalt Blue one on order. Come to think of it , I have not ridden a BMW either. But I think in most circumstances , the whole idea of a "test ride" would be a good one , but is not really that important. My experiance with bikes seems to show that you really can't tell that much about a bike from a short loop around town. Every bike has it's own peculararites and only by living with the bike for a week or so do you get to know them. Couple that with perhaps being nervous about riding a bike that is not yours and one that may not be set up for your weight or riding style ...and it kinda just seems the test ride would only tell you things you already knew.

But after reading every test or report in every cycle mag and hearing testimony from countless riders..I saw this as a simple Leap of Faith. If eveywhere/everyone says the FJR rocks..big time..you can take that as gospel. The best quote came from one owner.." Everyone that has ridden my bike wants one now"..

Granted peoples tastes can differ, but as I mentioned in a previous post...most of the folks buying an FJR had their mind made up that they wanted one before they even walked into a dealership. Right now , as I wait for mine , I can only envision getting to "test ride" one would just be a cruel tease and make the waiting even harder....lol.

KM

Rookievx1, where are you on the Pacific Coast?  If you're in Norcal, I might know where you can get a short ride.
@ O'valeFJR, we've missed you.  Whar ya bin?
M-Mike

I'm in Southern California. :clap: Rancho Cucamonga to be exact. RC is near Ontario airport in So Cal. Let me know if you know anyone down here.

Thanks a bunch

Rookie (aka Jeff)

I rode them all, for three years, looking for the 'just right...seat of the pants feel' and it was the FJR. Comfortable, tons of torque, and handles the HP with grace. I remember getting off the test ride '03, I just said ...'that's it, I have found it!!' and promptly ordered my '04 ABS model.

The BMW practice you guys mention of providing test bikes seems common practice over here (down under)....as long as you have a licence and look serious about it a store will let you ride often suggesting quite long test times.

I've been told by one of the stores that Yamaha do deals for stores on "demonstrators" but they have to keep them for a period of time to gain the discount. Don't know if its true but sounds like a sensible approach.

Wonder if the ordering system Yamaha use in the US is a reason why this would not be done in the US?

Hey Guys!

Yamaha "Display and Demo" U.S. schedule...note the new FJRs in the link's photos.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/mcy/demo.aspx

I'll see ya at the show in Atlanta, GA to sign up for the FJR test ride in March.

I work on BMW's automobiles for a living, as well as all other makes, so all I ever see is problems and the BMWs have plenty.

Therefore my point of view is somewhat tainted and biased, but having had the Yamaha experience for over 27 years and having always had good service from them I'll be looking to buy a new Yamaha someday soon.

I'm not even considering another sport-tourer because the Yamaha offers a very nice package overall in it's FJR when compared to the others IMO.

...and YOU FJR guys here are going to cause MammaYamma to raise her prices if you keep ranting and raving about what a sweet deal these things are. :D

RB

Hey Guys!
Yamaha "Display and Demo" U.S. schedule...note the new FJRs in the link's photos.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/mcy/demo.aspx

I'll see ya at the show in Atlanta, GA to sign up for the FJR test ride in March.

I work on BMW's automobiles for a living, as well as all other makes, so all I ever see is problems and the BMWs have plenty.

Therefore my point of view is somewhat tainted and biased, but having had the Yamaha experience for over 27 years and having always had good service from them I'll be looking to buy a new Yamaha someday soon.

I'm not even considering another sport-tourer because the Yamaha offers a very nice package overall in it's FJR when compared to the others IMO.

...and YOU FJR guys here are going to cause MammaYamma to raise her prices if you keep ranting and raving about what a sweet deal these things are. :D

RB
I hope MammaYamaha raises her prices.......I've already got my bike's price locked in and if Yamaha in 07 would sell this bike based on it's competitor's pricing, Yamaha ought to be selling for $17-18K......That would make a used one worth about what we paid for our new ones...

It's the American way.......

I hope in 07 they add on digital Cruise Control, bluetooth communications, and on-the-go adjustable air suspension like the BMW K1200s..........then they could easily get over $20K and I'd pay it too!!!

SportBikes isn't a hobby for the THIN OF WALLETS....if that's the case, you might consider checking out used 15 speed racing bikes.....Just think, with the extra exercise you'd get riding a bicycle, you wouldn't need that expensive Health club membership anymore either...You'd save a fortune....

Plus, I've come across some info on a BMW site indicating the new 06 BMW K1200GT will possibly MSRP for around $21,000.....MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!
I don't believe BMW has released US MSRP prices for the new K1200GT. The K1200S goes for $17,500-$19,000 depending on options, and most think the GT will be in approximately the same range. Like the K1200S they should be discounted once the first handful are in people's hands.

Apples to apples, figure a $6500 bump over the 2006 FJR in list price with similar discounts.

- Mark

Latest posts