Is a FJR a money thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

Old Guy

Reaction score
I've not taken part in this thread, so far, but for me, it's pretty simple. I've been riding since Johnson was president and have had some 26 motorcycles -- 25 of them have been Japanese (the one Spanish bike is sort of an outlier). They have, to a bike, been of good build quality and not idiotically expensive or difficult to maintain. They're what I know. I've seen some BMWs and Triumphs that I think I would have enjoyed having, but when it comes down to making the decision, I'm just not willing to take the plunge.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I have notice many saying they are drawn to the FJR because it's a deal..as BMWs have gotten way too expensive......

Is that the big draw........the cheapness? You don't have enough money for BMW or just too cheap to put out the bucks?

If money was no object........would you even in the slightest sense consider this bike over the BMWs new K1200GT priced around 19K?
I have notice many saying they are drawn to the FJR because it's a deal..as BMWs have gotten way too expensive......

Is that the big draw........the cheapness? You don't have enough money for BMW or just too cheap to put out the bucks?

If money was no object........would you even in the slightest sense consider this bike over the BMWs new K1200GT priced around 19K?
Quite the opposite. I ride quite bit. My BMW broke down often,and didn’t have the reliability, parts availability, or repair shop saturation I required.

If I were to go back to BMW, I’d have to have a second sport tourer as a backup, and know a guy on standby with a trailer.

If reliability and service availability had been the same, I’d have stayed with BMW. But I won’t lie- the price and coverage of Y.E.S. is excellent, but it’s the power and reliability of the FJR that puts it on top, for me.