Is a FJR a money thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't looking for a new motorcycle but in April of '04 I saw a brochure on the Galaxy Blue '05 models and it had everything I wanted in a motorcycle at a price I thought was good.

I could and would have bought most anything up to $20k price range to get what I wanted.

I ordered without even actually seeing one and am glad I did. It's the first Yamaha I have ever owned out of the nine motorcycles I have ridden in the last 38 years.

It's a great machine that does not do any one thing exceptionally well but overall it does a lot of things very well.

I would buy another in a minute and recommend it to everyone.

Thanks to Yamaha for building the FJR. :clap:

All this talk about money being no object has got me worried. I suspect that the folks at Yamaha take a look at our forum once in a while to see what we're saying about their handiwork. Let's not give them any ideas about raising the price. I may need to get a replacement for mine some day. 
Couldn't agree more. This forum is a price setting guys dream.

Also if you are reading Yamaha, Some of us don't want linked brakes in the future & might change brands over that one issue alone.

I think Yamaha may know their price point well and have a good market with their current balance of performance and value for money. Price it too high and ZZR and Blackbird will pick some sales at one end and Honda STI and may be BMW at the other.

If they put the price on the bike up I'd be happy for the resale value of mine but would likely look around for other options for the next bike even where I had the money to pay for the FJR.

I agree with RonBB. Linked brakes! That's what put me off the Blackbird! And for that matter... no clutch lever? Call me a ludite, but bikes change gear plenty fast and the activity and rest point offerred by the clutch lever for the left hand has other advantages. But the adjustable seats, bars and fairing... good move (pardon the pun).

I have owned two beemer's a 94 r1100rs & 2002rs nice bikes but I had service issues with both but think they were great bikes until a 30 min. test ride on a 05 fjr sold both ordered a new 06 from Romney Cycle.

At the dealer where I do business, I can ride the new bikes. If they've serviced it, I can ride it.

But I agree about a test ride not really making much difference in my decision process. I've already done the research. I have read all the tests. I already know what I want. It's just a matter of hammering out a deal.

What, a test ride is going to sway my decision? Not likely. Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, and Cycle World have all tested the FJR. When the reporting is objective, and I'll know when it is and when it isn't, I've never been disappointed on any bike choice I've made after doing the research.

When I bought a new '97 YZF600R, based on magazine reviews, I was totally pleased. Of course, it was the 600 bike of the year. When I bought a '00 CBR929RR, based on magazine reviews, again, totally pleased. And yeah, it was the liter-bike of the year.

And now, on the '05 FJR, I'm totally pleased with this bike. I know I'm preaching to the choir here when I say this bike totally fucking rocks. OK, maybe I wouldn't say that to the choir, but you know what I mean.

FYI, your bug was probably made in Mexico......
Every single new generation VW Bug has been produced just outside of Mexico city.

And also a very high percentage of GM Suburbans have been built in Mexico since not long after President #42 signed NAFTA into being. The Labor Unions steadfastly remained enamored of their great champion.

I have notice many saying they are drawn to the FJR because it's a deal..as BMWs have gotten way too expensive......

Is that the big draw........the cheapness? You don't have enough money for BMW or just too cheap to put out the bucks?

If money was no object........would you even in the slightest sense consider this bike over the BMWs new K1200GT priced around 19K?
I am new to the FJR, My first one. I have had many other children. including a BMW K1600. as of right now I would take the FJR. It may be what you call a cheap bike. Hands down it is more comfortable. The performance is about the same compared to the K1600 and for what you pay, or should I say dont pay you get a lot of the same do dads and gizmos. What I do like is I can actually work on it. if need be you know that pesty oil change once in a while.. no special tools or Tech certification. Nothing against BMW. They build beautiful bikes. But cost is always a factor. its the only way you can buy more bikes. just my humble opinion.

And the debate continues 17 years later!
Comments are still valid although details change as time goes by.
While the K1200 (original discussion) and the FJR are of a similar class, I would argue that the K1600 is a closer match with a Goldwing. In any case, the FJR remains near the top of any list in terms of reliability, ease of maintenance, cost, ride, performance, comfort and handling for sport-tourers. It may not hit top spot in any category other than reliability but is arguably one of the best all-around bikes in the ST category.

Last edited:
"A fool and his money are soon parted." - Poor Richard

Why spend more money than you need to? For the bike or for maintenance, it would always be better to have more money in YOUR account than in theirs.

Pick a bike that fits you and your uses and spend at little as needed to get and use it.

I had BMW K1200LT (relevant during the initial time of this conversation) and a R1200RT. I got rid of both of them because they needed $3000 - 5000 worth of work when they were worth less than that. I had a Honda Goldwing that I sold at 125,000 miles with no work needed. That's the level of dependability I see with FunJoyRide!

"A fool and his money are soon parted." - Poor Richard

Why spend more money than you need to? For the bike or for maintenance, it would always be better to have more money in YOUR account than in theirs.

Pick a bike that fits you and your uses and spend at little as needed to get and use it.

My sentiments exactly performance and reliability play a big part in it especially if your touring.

I have two other Yamahas that I love so why would I choose anything different? I'm also a Kawasaki guy but in this instance, I like the FJR much more than the Concours. BMWs never appealed to me in large part due to their insufferable owners.

Weird. I thought the insufferable owners all drove Priuses and Teslas.

I’ve owned many different motorcycle brands over the years, including a few BMWs. The old ones weren’t all that hard to work on. Certainly not at the Ducati level, but even those could be worked on if you were appropriately mechanically minded. And I never noticed the BMW owners being pretentious. Maybe that is a more modern thing with them?

My current fleet of motos are all reliable. 2014 FJR, 2017 Honda Africa Twin, 2017 Triumph Bonneville T100, and a 1994 Honda XR650L.

The Honda guys are pretty much the same as FJR guys are here. I don’t hang around any Triumph forums but probably should to see what’s going on there. That one is a garage queen anyway.

I would probably be riding an RT now, but got a taste of what BMW ownership would be like. I wanted to purchase a 2012 the local BMW dealer had in stock, but there was a recall. The part had to come from Germany, estimate: 2 months.

I would probably be riding an RT now, but got a taste of what BMW ownership would be like. I wanted to purchase a 2012 the local BMW dealer had in stock, but there was a recall. The part had to come from Germany, estimate: 2 months.
I get it, always wanted one Duc but heard the horror stories of European bikes and parts avalibity even pre covid. A friend just got a used V85tt Guzzi. 6 weeks and 225.00 for two spark plug wires.
I'd rather be riding.

Last edited:
The current "supply chain" issues make the delays from Germany even longer. I just got a recall done that I got notified about at least a year ago. Got letters from corporate that said parts were available but the dealership (on their waiting list) never called. I called several times (each quarter) without success.

Corp droogie called in an attempt to court me in to upgrade my car to a 2023 (mine's 2017). I told him about the issue. He assigned it to customer satisfaction who sicked a rep on the issue and within the week found another dealership with 4 "kits" in stock.

3 hours after arriving, they were done.

Still don't plan to trade in but their customer support at Corp level just went up a bit in my eyes.

I have notice many saying they are drawn to the FJR because it's a deal..as BMWs have gotten way too expensive......

Is that the big draw........the cheapness? You don't have enough money for BMW or just too cheap to put out the bucks?

If money was no object........would you even in the slightest sense consider this bike over the BMWs new K1200GT priced around 19K?
Lots of feedback on this subject. Price is not the issue. FJR is a better bike, less maintenance, and lots of fun.