Is ES worth the money ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extremely happy with my 14ES. Other than oil/filter changes, brake, clutch fluids and coolant changed every two years as well as valve clearance check at specified intervals the bike has been free of any defects or wear issues.  ES option is money well spent.

Ah no.  I regret not getting an A model and moving the suspension from my 09 to newer A model FJR.  I road my 09 with after market suspension for 80,000 miles and it was great.  I have a 17 ES.  The suspension is convenient and comfortable, but doesn't have the performance of after market suspension and I miss that. 

The after market stuff requires periodic maintenance where as ES is maintenance as Yamaha does have maintenance requirements.  If you blow the rear shock kiss $3200 good bye.  I don't know of any who have but it is a dirty little cloud hanging over yer head.  And how many of us out here would NOT change the front fork oil periodically?

The suspension on the ES is undersprung so I have to set it to 2 helmets to obtain the proper sag.  I set the damping to Standard at zero.  This works well enough but it isn't as good at the after market suspension I had on my 09.  Riding two up it there is simply not enough spring so the ride is, kindly speaking, plush and comfortable. 

The front sag is not adjustable.  Period.  It seems to work reasonably well.

Yeah I really screwed up going to an ES. 

Ah no.  I regret not getting an A model and moving the suspension from my 09 to newer A model FJR.  I road my 09 with after market suspension for 80,000 miles and it was great.  I have a 17 ES.  The suspension is convenient and comfortable, but doesn't have the performance of after market suspension and I miss that. 

The after market stuff requires periodic maintenance where as ES is maintenance as Yamaha does have maintenance requirements.  If you blow the rear shock kiss $3200 good bye.  I don't know of any who have but it is a dirty little cloud hanging over yer head.  And how many of us out here would NOT change the front fork oil periodically?

The suspension on the ES is undersprung so I have to set it to 2 helmets to obtain the proper sag.  I set the damping to Standard at zero.  This works well enough but it isn't as good at the after market suspension I had on my 09.  Riding two up it there is simply not enough spring so the ride is, kindly speaking, plush and comfortable. 

The front sag is not adjustable.  Period.  It seems to work reasonably well.

Yeah I really screwed up going to an ES. 
Well, maybe I shouldn't have any regrets. Performance wise, I'm pretty happy with my modded 15A. Thanx.