Is everyone ready?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karstenp

Reaction score
Only a few weeks left!.. How is everyone doing with bike/personal preps?

I fixed some bugs that showed up during the Cape Fear rally. I want to replace my brake pads and other than lots of last minute tinkering and time wasting, I should be good to go....

Perry

Only a few weeks left!.. How is everyone doing with bike/personal preps?

I fixed some bugs that showed up during the Cape Fear rally. I want to replace my brake pads and other than lots of last minute tinkering and time wasting, I should be good to go....

Perry
Hey Perry,

Bike is 99% ready. Did tires, brakes, fluids last week. On the weekend I added a pump to my Skyway Hydration system. Works like a charm.

Last thing I want to look at is placing the heat barrier insulation under the gas tank. Not sure if I want to do it really, but if the guy I'm woking with is gung ho, I may get it packed in.

It's been such a cold spring that I haven't needed it. But I know we will be hitting 100+ temps somewhere along the way, and I'll be glad I did it.

I'm riding out to Seattle starting this Thursday (May 19th) after work, and will be heading through Soo MI, Duluth MN, Fargo ND, then I-94/I-90 all the way to Seattle.

Perry, you'll be joining others in New England, so good luck and have a blast. Say hi to Jacques and Jen for me.

PD

I can pretty much assure you that there are MANY folks who think they are ready, but they are not.

As usual, it is primarily the rookies that think this... the vets know better. ;)

The FJR community appears to be basically ready, but other bike communities are not. I've been shown suspect aux fuel mountings, terrible aux light setups, hydration systems that are awful.... in about 4 weeks time, many will be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Placed the heat barrier under the gas tank last night.

I'm not sure if it was a fix by Yamaha, or if the guy who owned the bike before cut and shaped a piece of reflective insulated material to fit between the gas tank and the engine. The original bike came from North Carolina, so who knows. Desperate times occasionally require creative solutions.

The ride out will allow me to test my charging systems: I have USB, Powerlet BMW style, SAE, cigar and regular three prong plug capability.

I picked up a Zagg Sparq, which is a combination battery and USB charger, ideal for phones, IPAD, IPOD, camera, Bluetooth headset. I expect it will get a lot of action. It can carry about 3 phone charges, and can be plugged into a wall outlet or my inverter to recharge.

Looking forward to hitting the road!

PD

Looking forward to hitting the road!

PD
If all went well you should be a day closer to Seattle tonight. Ride safe and we will see you in a few weeks! Will say hi to the gang for you tomorrow at the MM1K start. I am riding the Honda ST1100 for the MM1K and Mason Dixon next week. The FJR is IBR prepped and I do not want to risk unessary damage to it prior to the start.

Perry

I'm feeling pretty good now. I'm swapping out tires (motorcycle tires, Dale) in Seattle, and I'll be breaking in my Nexus card at the Blaine crossing on Thursday before the rally, checking in that afternoon. So far so good...

This kicks the dogshit out of trying to get an RE5 up to speed. I had two RE5s pre-rally. One was the rally bike, the other a parts donor. Due to a last minute bearing/ seal failure on the rally bike, it suddenly became the parts bike a few days before departing for the rally. For the 2009 IBR, the ODO check was the longest ride (by a factor of maybe 4) that I had ever taken on that RE5 prior to the start. I don't know about y'all, but that's a batshit crazy way to go into the IBR in my book.

I'm feeling pretty good now. I'm swapping out tires (motorcycle tires, Dale)
Outstanding! Thank you for being normal! ;)

For the 2009 IBR, the ODO check was the longest ride (by a factor of maybe 4) that I had ever taken on that RE5 prior to the start. I don't know about y'all, but that's a batshit crazy way to go into the IBR in my book.
Concur. Glad you are now on *the* proper platform for those who want to finish well in the standings... B)

This kicks the dogshit out of trying to get an RE5 up to speed. I had two RE5s pre-rally. One was the rally bike, the other a parts donor. Due to a last minute bearing/ seal failure on the rally bike, it suddenly became the parts bike a few days before departing for the rally. For the 2009 IBR, the ODO check was the longest ride (by a factor of maybe 4) that I had ever taken on that RE5 prior to the start. I don't know about y'all, but that's a batshit crazy way to go into the IBR in my book.
Wow...that must have been incredibly stressful for you.... Very impressive to be able to do what you did in 09 after starting under those conditions.

I want to replace my brake pads and complete my packing next week.

I am a Rookie and as Dale suggested I am probably less ready than I think. I guess a better way to put it, is that I have done everything I can possibly do to get myself and the bike ready (applying as many lessons learned from vets as possible). I have been busy all winter getting ready but the final months prior to the start has been all consuming..... I am really glad to have run the Cape Fear, Minuteman and this weeks Mason Dixon this year. This weekends Mason Dixon will be my 10th rally and I still feel like a newbie and I am constantly amazed by how much I continue to learn on each subsequent rally. I only hope that I have learned enough to be able to adapt and endure to a gruelling 11 days.

I was really happy to discover a "bug" in my GPS uploading software duirng the Minuteman that would have been disaster to discover during the IBR. The weather at this years rallies has been brutal which also forced me to change my approach to completing rallybook paperwork in the rain.

I guess I am rambling but the bottom line is that I am satisfied that I have done all that I can do to prepare for what is essentially "the unknown" for me. I hope it is enough.

I'm going to do some geocaching Saturday and Sunday night in full rally regalia, logging stops just as I would in the rally. The only purpose is to identify and treak any remaining wrinkles in getting on and off the bike.

Linda T was making an aux tank cover and tank bag/ tank bra/ pannier setup for me. We'd agreed on a delivery date, but hadn't heard anything. I was getting pretty anxious about not hearing from her for a while, but just got a call from her saying she'd bitten off more work than she could chew this summer, and my setup didn't get high enough priority to make the cut. So I'm scrambling to figure out a substitute for these items. Shouldn't be a big deal, but it sucks doing it at this stage in the game.

After 2009, I think that a mechanically sound stock CX500 with a Vetter fairing, a waterproof tail bag, and fresh tires would do. Given that I have an FJR with a Givi topcase, Ohlins suspension, Russel saddle, heated grips, HIDs galore, aux tank, etc., the stuff from Linda was just gravy, anyway. Meh.

I'm getting there... I got a late lead on a used rear wheel the day I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one so I got a bit delayed when that didn't pan out. Everything I need will be in early next week minus two parts, the rear brake disk and the spacer that goes between the bushings inside the wheel. I think I'll go with an aftermarket rotor and worste case there is I need to swap the rotor with the wheel in JAX. The spacer is a bit more concerning. One dealer I found one part I needed at this afternoon told me Yamaha had some in Japan and after the earthquake it has only been taking a week to get those so hopefully that dealer was right. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm putting new break pads and spark plugs in this weekend and changing the final drive fluid. I'll put a new rear on before I head to Iggy's and put the front on I shipped him there. Then I'm down to a mile long list of items that are 5 minutes each but that adds up. Is it too late to move this thing back into August?

Is anyone else worried about the passes being open considering how flippin' cold it has been this year?

Linda T was making an aux tank cover and tank bag/ tank bra/ pannier setup for me. We'd agreed on a delivery date, but hadn't heard anything. I was getting pretty anxious about not hearing from her for a while, but just got a call from her saying she'd bitten off more work than she could chew this summer, and my setup didn't get high enough priority to make the cut. So I'm scrambling to figure out a substitute for these items. Shouldn't be a big deal, but it sucks doing it at this stage in the game.
Not the first time I have heard of this unfortunately. She makes a great product, but seems to need to work on how long it takes to make and deadlines.

and worste case there is I need to swap the rotor with the wheel in JAX. The spacer is a bit more concerning.

Is anyone else worried about the passes being open considering how flippin' cold it has been this year?
Be careful about the rear disk. That thing can be a PITA to remove, requiring heat and an impact driver to get the bolts off without stripping them.

I've been wondering about the passes too. Wishing you all the best of luck.

All three passes from US-395 to the West were closed this weekend, including Skooter's favotite: Sonora Pass!

I went camping in Susanville, CA and froze my butt off. Snow came down to the 4600 foot level, but only accumulated above 5000 feet, and only briefly at that. Driving home, I hit a few rather long hail showers and about 15 miles of snow flurries north of Mammoth Lakes. It sure got me thinkin'...

Be careful about the rear disk. That thing can be a PITA to remove, requiring heat and an impact driver to get the bolts off without stripping them.
Just got a call from my dealer, the bearing spacer showed up along with the dust seal I had ended up sourcing from another dealer so I have a spare I guess. Still couldn't find the disk so after everyone telling me what a bitch they are to remove, I ordered an EBC. All parts should be in by next Monday. Whew... too close but I'm feeling much better.

Just got a call my from my dealer. All my parts are in and I can pick it up tomorrow... whew!!!

Oh, and check out this pic of beartooth from a friend last weekend.

SDC11961.jpg