Is it better to buy a 2012 than build up a 2006?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugman

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2006 and am thinking about mods and upgrades. For about 2 to 3 thousand difference in used prices (selling the 2006 and buying a 2012) I can get a newer bike as a base for improvements. Is this a good idea given the incremental improvements that Yamaha made throughout the years on a Gen 2? Does the 2012 run noticeably different from the 2006? Thoughts?

If you plan to keep an FJR for more years I'd spend the $$$ and upgrade to a '12. Incremental improvements on the '12 are ABS, fueling, transmission and IIRC, standard factory heated grips. Plus, the '12 is only 10 model years old. With improvements, the '12 is a better / more refined platform to start with.

My $.02 and worth exactly what you paid for it!

Good luck and happy hunting!

~G

I had a 2007 and sold it to buy a 2011 (after putting 186,000 miles on it). (100,000 miles so far on the 2011) Not a lot of "incremental" improvements over the years. Pretty much everything I say about the 2011 applies to the 2012 (same with '06 and '07). But with the 2012, you don't get the awesome Liquid Silver paint. (Same with the Black Cherry on the '07)
  • 2011 has much better fuel mapping. Less snatchy throttle by virtue of ECU changes and the throttle cam at the throttle bodies.
  • 2011 is less subject to ground spider and other electrical issues (but still not immune)
  • 2011 does not have recalls related to the ignition switch or the ground S4 spider
  • I think the windshield arm "gaskets" were improved - sometimes a problem on earlier bikes
  • Early 2006 had a recall related to the mpg meter which required replacement of the gauges
  • Heated grips standard on the 2012
  • 2006 and 2007 had an "altitude sickness" fault which required replacement of the ECU under recall - mostly issues with changing altitudes
  • Early Gen II had issues with cam chain tensioner failures - relatively few but can cause catastrophic engine damage (Replace with updated part!)
  • Early Gen II had an ABS that was more subject to failure - redesigned in 2008, I think
Perhaps a few other items but I think that is most of it. Of course, a bike that is six years newer is going to have fewer issues related to age - rubber seals and plastic bits (i.e. the overflow tank on my '07 got brittle and cracked). The biggest difference is, without a doubt, the changes made to improve throttle response, especially at low throttle openings. Other than that, I don't find much difference between the bikes. I felt that the 2011 seemed a bit livelier than my 2007 but that could be my imagination. I would make the swap if the 2012 was lower miles or appeared to be in as good or better shape. Are there good service records with it? Keep in mind that in another few years, it will still be worth a couple thousand more if you decide to sell it. If you do decide to go for it, make sure you go over it VERY carefully. You don't want to be buying someone else's problems.

I see escapefjrtist got his reply in before me! (I don't recall a transmission difference unless it related to robustness of shift forks but I never had problems...)

Last edited:
Bugman, As much as I agree with all the benefits of going to the 2012, you are just 1 year away from the Gen 3 2013 (which I own).

Look @ the used market for a low to mid mileage (I have 48k ) 2013, and you may answer your own question ... is it worth it?

The list of upgrades is long and wonderful for the Gen 3. The 2013 specifically is somewhat maligned as the 1st year, dull grey color, only a 80mph CC, only A model available etc.... but you get ... newer fairing design, better suspension components, drive modes and CC (possible upgrade from Ivan), some LEDs, lighter (louder) exhaust pipes, etc ... check the website but I love my son's 2003, and I really love my 2013!!!

My first FJR was a 2006 that I bought used in 2011 with 9200 miles on it. It was a great bike, the prettiest of all FJRs with the Cobalt Blue paint and silver wheels. I hate black wheels on a motorcycle. It didn't have heated grips, so I added the OEM plug-n-play grip kit. The only downside to the '06 was the fuel injection mapping. It sucked, with an on-off throttle response that killed my confidence during aggressive cornering. I installed the G2 throttle cam, which was a slight improvement. Then I installed a Power Commander with the Fuel Moto "smoothness" map. That mod helped quite a bit and made the bike much easier to handle, but it did slightly increase fuel consumption. Not cool, because I like to get as much range from a tank as I can when out in remote areas.

That bike was totaled in a crash in late 2014. Once I got the check from the other guys insurance company, I was shopping for a new FJR. I didn't want a 2013 or 2014 model because they have black wheels. The only logical choice was a new leftover 2012 model...Cobalt Blue paint, silver wheels. I found a dealer in Clearwater FL that had three leftover 2012s in stock...a 50-state unit and two 49-state units. My buddy and I bought the two 49-staters over the phone. I flew to Florida two weeks later to take delivery and ride it back to California. It currently has 75000 miles on it, and I have no intention of ever selling it.

The only visible ways to tell an '06 from a '12 is the FJR logo-decal on the side fairings on the '06, and the '06 has silver trim around the speedo/tach cluster. On the '12 it's black. The '12 came with standard heated grips. And the fuel injection mapping...it's a night and day difference. The '12 is so much easier to ride aggressively, and you don't take a mileage hit in the process. Sure, it doesn't have cruise control and all the fancy electronics of the Gen III, but I kinda prefer it that way.

Add me to the list saying go with the newer bike. I love my ‘06, but it spent a riding season in the shop while they tried to find someone with a new set of fork tubes that they could ship (not merely listed on the computer inventory). I’ll keep riding mine until when it next needs a major service, but meanwhile I’ll put money into the new bike fund.

Add me to the list saying go with the newer bike. I love my ‘06, but it spent a riding season in the shop while they tried to find someone with a new set of fork tubes that they could ship (not merely listed on the computer inventory). I’ll keep riding mine until when it next needs a major service, but meanwhile I’ll put money into the new bike fund.
By newer, I assume you mean newer than the 2012...? (Fork tubes for 2012 would be interchangeable with 2006.) Availability of some parts can be an issue for older bikes but unless you have an accident, it is rarely a problem on FJRs.

Regarding going to a 2012 Gen 2 or a five speed Gen 3, I bought a 2012 in 2016 and rode it for 15k miles, mostly touring - including a Los Angeles - WDC - Los Angeles ride for the 2019 Rolling Thunder parade. The bike is a joyful trouble-free ride. Bought a 2014 recently and it just made its first road trip - 2,400 miles around Arizona and Utah enjoying the fall colors. Aside from cruise control, the 2012 is everything I could hope for in a sports touring bike, and some of the 2014 technology menus seemed more complex. Indeed, if I felt comfortable with after market cruise controls, I would sell Hot Redhead and stay with my Blue Beauty.