Is it just a Squid thing to do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braenen

Reaction score
I have been watching the bikes from my cage lately and have noticed a distinct pattern. For the past two weeks, I have seen dozens of bikers on both the highway 285 and 400) and back roads on my 30 mile commute. Without exception, every biker on the highway was wearing a short sleve shirt, regular pants and running shoes. With only 3 exceptions of 50 or so examples, every biker on the back roads was ATGATT. I suspect those exceptions were headed to the highway.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern? Do you commute using the highways? Is this just because 285 and 400 are so dangerous (average of 1 death/ day)?

Thoughts?

I ride the highways all the time around Atlanta. I run 75 to 285 to 20 by 6 flags when i go to work on the bike. I wear my riding gear over my shorts and t shirt to work. Some of the HD guys make fun of me, but when they are gettting skin grafts, it won't be tears of joy they are shedding in the hopsital. My bike got crunched in the parking lot by a pickup. Bike hadn't moved for 5 days. It doesn't matter where you are, people just don't see the bikes. mine wasn't even running and asshole didn't see it. Another guy at work dumped his at the DMV parking lot doing his test (HD) and broke his leg. I have to take the highway towork. this time of year i sure aint taking backroads. Between school buses and deer heading into the rut, no thanks. At least on the highway, you hopefully have a little more time to see the forest rats.

I get to ride both backroads as well as highway in the commute. The biggest thing I notice, as expected, the HD guys don't have gear and those on either sportbikes or standards at least have a helmet and jacket. There are the typical retards in the shorts and T-shirts flying around, too.

Maybe when they learn how to make the bike go around corners, the next chapter in the lesson book will be about gear?

I ride to work on the back streets (ATGATT) and back home on the freeway. Same gear.

Jill

No one here in UTaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah rides with gear. It's all about the tshirt, shorts, and flipflops... Guess they have god on their side

I've noticed here in Los Angeles more and more people are riding without the proper gear, my have something to do with the heat, but never the less, road rash is road rash. One person on the local yahoo group was complaining about some kid and his girl friend, he was ridding with no shirt, shorts and flip flops, and she wasn't dress any better.

Just for a lark and to kill time I went into a Harley dealer and looked around, I only found two jackets with armor. I guess Harleys don't fall down... But I've seen Goldwing riders that are just as bad.

It is running about 100 degree on average here, and I am always AGATT. I have seen a suprising number of folks wearing armor jackets with shorts. Guess if they go down, the legs will be the last to go. I'm sure that the GW and HD crowd have lots of armor in those hats they seem to like.

Greg

Around here you have to look long and hard to find anyone wearing any kind of gear. Spent some time on US 31 this week-end and out of probaly 100 bikes GW's HD's sport bikes,maybe 10 aleast had a helmet on. I don't know maybe it's just me but I am more comfortable in the hot sun with my gear on then with out it. It still amazes when I see guys ride with no eye protetion. How do they do it?

Without exception, every biker on the highway was wearing a short sleve shirt, regular pants and running shoes. With only 3 exceptions of 50 or so examples, every biker on the back roads was ATGATT.
They must know when they might crash, and when they won't. Lacking clairvoyance, I gear up for the crash, pray it never comes, and ride like they're out to get me....

I'm not sure if it's a heat issue down here in the Macon area or not, but I'm seeing a lot of the same stuff. Mostly guys flying down the freeway wearing shorts, tank tops and tennis shoes (but with a full face helmet for some reason...) There is a good reason I bought gear with armor. I prefer a little sweaty to a lot bloody.

Just my 2 cents.

Tek

The biggest thing I notice, as expected, the HD guys don't have gear and those on either sportbikes or standards at least have a helmet and jacket. There are the typical retards in the shorts and T-shirts flying around, too.
Here in NM, I have been pretty surprised lately. The other day on our way back from northern NM, we saw a group of about 6 cruisers (1 HD) headed toward Santa Fe. Every one of them was wearing a helmet and most had on a jacket. Kind of weird considering the heat. As above though, for the most part, HD riders seem to be the least protected, even amongst other cruisers. LOTS of sportbikes around here are wearing Ts, shorts, and have a helmet strapped to the rear seat so they can put it on quickly in case they crash. Most of the sport tourers, Wings, BMW's and adventure bikes are geared up, but there are always exceptions to each of those.

No one here in UTaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah rides with gear. It's all about the tshirt, shorts, and flipflops... Guess they have god on their side
I bought my AE so I wouldn't have to use my feet. Now I can wear my flipity flops. My Girl says I look funny when I wear riding boots with my swim trunks. :unsure:

If I was riding Georgia, my gear would closely resemble that of my avatar. One, the heat, two, to fit in. :p

Do I commute on a highway? Daily on I-270 and the DC beltway.

Do I ride in office clothes or a short sleeve shirt? No - sooner or later I'll be sliding down the asphalt and glad I have them.

See more people riding and without gear? Big time, especially this year with the gas prices. Something not mentioned is that I wish these nubie scooter owners now trying to park in the motorcycle area were a bit more considerate about knocking my mirrors and leaving enough space to simply get on, let alone to pull out.

On this general topic, I saw a funny sight this evening, while waiting at a light in my car. A motorcyclist filtered to the front of the line, paddling his feet for the last fifty yards or so. This wasn't just a gentle dab but a full on flail. He had Birkenstock sandals and bare feet. Either one of those would have been a darned good reason for me to keep my feet on the pegs until I stopped!

Perhaps he was 'dancing' to entertain the waiting drivers?