Is there a difference in the Two Brothers M2 and the M5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdog

Reaction score
First off i tried searching, but M2 and M5 are both only two letters so it wouldnt search that, i tried a couple different things but came back with nothing.

I know this might seem trivial to some, but anytime i spend hundreds of dollars on something i like to ask about all options.

I noticed the M5 exhaust is a little more expensive on average than the M2, i assume it either came out more recently or it is nicer. Cant really tell which. The opening in the back is different, i didnt know if the two of them produced a different tone, or if any of you guys have owned both.

I was just wondering because i tried looking on youtube and stuff, but the videos with the Two Brothers exhaust nobody says whether its the m5 or the m2. Some of the videos the exhaust seems to sound a little louder or deeper than others, i didnt know if it was from the two different kinds of exhausts or maybe it was just the camera used in the different videos.

If you hate any exhaust please just save the comments about "stealth" or "just run straight pipes dur da dur" . I respect that some of you older fellas may like the sound of hummingbirds and fields and meadows while you ride a motorcycle but i want some growl and noise. :p

thanks in advance for any help guys. Not looking to annoy with yet another pointless exhaust thread but just really close to purchasing and trying to make sure i dont end up wanting to take something back.

First off i tried searching, but M2 and M5 are both only two letters so it wouldnt search that, i tried a couple different things but came back with nothing.

I know this might seem trivial to some, but anytime i spend hundreds of dollars on something i like to ask about all options.

I noticed the M5 exhaust is a little more expensive on average than the M2, i assume it either came out more recently or it is nicer. Cant really tell which. The opening in the back is different, i didnt know if the two of them produced a different tone, or if any of you guys have owned both.

I was just wondering because i tried looking on youtube and stuff, but the videos with the Two Brothers exhaust nobody says whether its the m5 or the m2. Some of the videos the exhaust seems to sound a little louder or deeper than others, i didnt know if it was from the two different kinds of exhausts or maybe it was just the camera used in the different videos.

If you hate any exhaust please just save the comments about "stealth" or "just run straight pipes dur da dur" . I respect that some of you older fellas may like the sound of hummingbirds and fields and meadows while you ride a motorcycle but i want some growl and noise. :p

thanks in advance for any help guys. Not looking to annoy with yet another pointless exhaust thread but just really close to purchasing and trying to make sure i dont end up wanting to take something back.
The M5 is a bigger around oval than the M2. Also, the M2 is available in the cheaper aluminum can, CF, or Ti, while the M5 is only available in CF or Ti (looks like the M5 is the same price as the more expensive CF or Ti M2 on two brothers' website).

I'm sure they sound different, but I'm not sure if there is a significant difference in volume. If the can in a video is aluminum, it must be an m2...otherwise, maybe if you stare at enough pictures and video, you'll be able to tell just from the relative size? I started to google two brothers m2 vs m5, apparently its a common enough search term that my google search 'suggestion' auto filled it in, so you can probably find lots of comments on the sound difference (even if it is from other models of bike, it should give an idea which is louder, which is deeper, etc...)

Why not just give the fine folks at 2Bros a call? I'm sure they are familiar with the attributes of each of their products!

Just sayin'...

Don

The Two Brothers web sight shows the difference between the M2's and the M5's , with the M5's being slightly larger. Maybe a slight difference in tone as well. There web sight also states that they recommend the M2's for 600cc's and smaller, with the M5's for 750 and up. Ordered mine today. Looking forward to mounting them in the future!

Happy trails.

I have the TB's M2 aluminum slip-ons on my FJR and am quite happy with them. I am very happy with the size and look of them.

I thought that they were too loud (setting off car alarms), so I got the P1X Powertip sound arrestors and think that the sound is now just right.

Purchased recently from Biohazard Cycles Inc. for $513.00 with free shipping

I just put the M2's on my '08 ...Love them. They look great and sound even better. Little loud yes, but not annoying.

I had them put on at a local dealer and another FJR owner saw them and ordered a pair for him too.

are there any backfiring or popping on decel?

Mine are M5 aluminium cans and yes they pop and fart on decell until I fitted my own decibel arrestors . They also sit much closer to the bottom of the bags but dont seem to put any heat into the bags so they must be OK.

I love the bass sound of my FRiJ now :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

are there any backfiring or popping on decel?
I have the m2 with the P1X Powertip, powercommander using the m419-001 map (stock exhaust, air filter). This map runs better than the m419-002 (two brothers map).

I have no backfiring or popping on decel

With sound and cost being equal as stated in previous posts, it seems to just be a matter of looks. I have the M5 Carbon Fiber cans on mine and they seem to be the right size/ratio to the bike. I think the M2s carbon fibers would all but disappear on my black bike as the M5s blend in with the bags on.

They sure weigh a lot less. I believe the 2 Bros website says that both cans weigh less than one of the stockers. Not that I can really tell when riding.

I posted pics back on the classisifed section under the thread where I bought them (which I think you've already seen) Clicky here .

I have the P1R inserts and love the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah guys its been stated, but just for clarification

I called Two Bros today.............apparently the only, and i mean only difference between the M2 and the M5 is the size of the can. (circumference)

Sounds the same, same numbers on the dyno, they just said the M5 was for people that didnt like the skinnier look of the M2.