Is there a plan for FODS 2016?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
One of the local wahoos (MrBill) is trying to stir up a dual sport June ride from the northeast down to a FODS or FODS-like event in WV, but I'm not finding any info here. Is it hidden someplace?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Meadows (spklbuk) was talked into organizing FODS 2015, by Don Stanley. They had a nice turnout at Pipestem Resort, WV. No discussion on FODS 2016 as of yet. You might want to contact Jim in the other sandbox.

One of the local wahoos (MrBill) is trying to stir up a dual sport June ride from the northeast down to a FODS or FODS-like event in WV, but I'm not finding any info here. Is it hidden someplace?
New England to West by God Virginia via the TET aka the TransEasternTrail. We've done the ride to Canada via New Hampshire and back down Vermont too many times. WV is the ticket for fresh mud!

I sure do hope Spklbuk finds time out of his schedule to put it on. Bluestone SP has some cabins with firepits?

Jim Meadows (spklbuk) was talked into organizing FODS 2015, by Don Stanley. They had a nice turnout at Pipestem Resort, WV. No discussion on FODS 2016 as of yet. You might want to contact Jim in the other sandbox.
Fred W, El Toro Joe and Mr. Bill, Jim and I communicate via email. I'll let him know ASAP of your interest in a FODS 2016! JSNS, I still love dirt biking!

Yes they do...Jim, Mike (Powerman) and I stayed in one of them, to celebrate mutual birthdays last september. The back way into Bluestone SP (which was the only way in and out last year) is definitely made for dual sport bikes...not FJR's. DAMHIK

SENT:

Hi Jim, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You and Yours! FredW, El Toro Joe and Mr. Bill are wondering if you're hosting FODS 2016. Thanks!
space.gif

Don Stanley to jim meadows + 2 more

Whether it's dubbed "FODS WV" or "Let's go Freakin' Ride in West Virginia" or whatever, I am 99.9% sure there will be an extended weekend dual sport ride in West Virginia in June 2016.

Jim did bounce some ideas around about location in order to get the DS bikes within range of some new ground - the stuff Rushes and I ran in September. There's a few more days of deer season left, so I'd imagine we'll hear from the rally master after that...

Wayne

Eewwwww..... You guys ride in the mud intentionally? Your bikes will get all dirty and muddy and shit. What the Hell? Who does that?
no.gif

Me. I do that.

Even before I had the DRZ. My FJR has been ON the Appalachian Trail. Not hear it, or next to it, but ON it. And survived the gnarliest downhill goat trail you've ever seen...

Now, enter the DRZ. Ask Lee and Jim about that. Last June, there was not a mud puddle that I went around; through is the only way...

Eewwwww..... You guys ride in the mud intentionally? Your bikes will get all dirty and muddy and shit. What the Hell? Who does that?
no.gif

Thanks for he replies. I will have to read up on what goes on at prior FODS. Right now, the only "dual sport" I own is my old Manstrom, and that isn't exactly a lightweight. Is all of the riding in "small bike required" stuff? Or do some FODS guys come on big trailees?

Thanks for he replies. I will have to read up on what goes on at prior FODS. Right now, the only "dual sport" I own is my old Manstrom, and that isn't exactly a lightweight. Is all of the riding is "small bike required" stuff? Or do some FODS guys come on big trailees?
Freddie Bear, I rode my 1st FODS on my 2006 Kawasaki KLR650 when UberKul (Brad Maynard) was the Rally Master, when I became Rally Bastard I started riding FODS on my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin. Not much weight difference between a Manstrom and a GS/KLR. Steve "Jorstin" Kerns rode FODS on a R1200GS! JSNS!

Oh cool. The ManStrom can go anywhere a GS can (with a little more effort, maybe).

ManStrom strong like bull! (and heavy as one too) ;)

Oh cool. The ManStrom can go anywhere a GS can (with a little more effort, maybe).
ManStrom strong like bull! (and heavy as one too)
wink.png
Faithful Mi Mexico Mule II on left and R1150GS of my Irish Friend Seaumus MacTreinfhir of Dublin. Seamus can ride that heavy ass GS ANYWHERE!

DCFC0064.jpg

Thanks for he replies. I will have to read up on what goes on at prior FODS. Right now, the only "dual sport" I own is my old Manstrom, and that isn't exactly a lightweight. Is all of the riding in "small bike required" stuff? Or do some FODS guys come on big trailees?
Fred, No motocross or enduro race here. Just some old people riding around in the dirt. Take your camera out every so often this time!
smile.png

The only downside I see is the WV DOT is fanatical about fixing the dirt roads with rocks. Big 1-2 inch rocks and the cars and trucks pack that down into the dirt. If we run across that on the way down it will be slow going for awhile.

Are you trailering down or riding the TET with me?

FredW - most of the stuff we rode is doable on a full size ADV bike. The one day, we had 2 DRZ's, two DR650's, and two Super Tenere's. There was a rock garden climb that kicked my butt, but mostly because I was laughing at the two Tenere's drag racing up the trail in front of me.

Lots of gravel roads down to two tracks with some muddy spots, but nothing too horrible. Jim can layout a pretty darn good ADV pig level route, just as much as he can lay down a goat trail type one!!

Wayne

Doesn't Jim ride one a dem that Tenairie type thangs? I bet Fred will do jes fine.

Me, whenever I'm in dirt...it means something went wrong or I went where airboss told me not to go...and ended up leading a group ride up a gravel hill climb near Starved Rock SP. Some followed...some said nuh-uh.

oops.

:D