Is there an easy heat fix for the 05?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Bounce said, riding pants make a big difference. Jeans are not riding pants. I get cooked pretty good on a hot day's ride in jeans but almost don't notice the tank in the same weather (except at stops) if I'm wearing my Cordura pants over some shorts.
I was wearing Cortech Mesh on the way down, with solid panels over the knee area. 677 miles from Portland to San Jose, and had light burns when I got to San Jose regardless. My point was that it was more the ambient temperature than the bike just roasting me. I've never gotten burned by it before riding in that heat last week.

I see that my heat fix thread for the 05 is gone.

PM me if you would like pics and some details on the heat shield mod I use. I live where the only digits higher than the thermometer is the humidity. It gets freakin' hot here and my 05 will roast your thighs and nuts if you don't make a mod.

As someone said, riding slid back and spread your legs helps a great deal. But at 5'10" and 30" inseam, I find that uncomfortable for long trips.

Some air flow mods are necessary to reduce the frame heat. That is what bites you on long rides. You can spend about $25 and a couple hours and make some major improvements. The easiest way to fix it is buy an 06.

<_<

I see that my heat fix thread for the 05 is gone.
PM me if you would like pics and some details on the heat shield mod I use. I live where the only digits higher than the thermometer is the humidity. It gets freakin' hot here and my 05 will roast your thighs and nuts if you don't make a mod.

As someone said, riding slid back and spread your legs helps a great deal. But at 5'10" and 30" inseam, I find that uncomfortable for long trips.

Some air flow mods are necessary to reduce the frame heat. That is what bites you on long rides. You can spend about $25 and a couple hours and make some major improvements. The easiest way to fix it is buy an 06.

<_<
PM Sent.

I understand that it is a motorcycle and there are going to be some uncomfortable points about it. However, I don't think it's too much to ask to not have my nuts scalded from something I spent 12 grand on.

Also wearing riding gear (instead of street or beach clothes) can make a big difference.
Draggin' Jeans everywhere I go.
:assassin:

The heat coming off of my tank has become unbearable combined with the summer heat. I can't touch my legs to the side of the bike, and even still it turns my inner thighs red.

Does Yamaha have a recall for this, or is there some other easy fix?
Burning your skin? Are you at least wearing long pants?
But you said easy, not mentioning cheap - so the 'easy' fix is to trade up to an '06! :yahoo:
Nice try, but negative ghostrider. BTW, I've yet to get my front tire up as high as in your av, not that I've tried. :ph34r:

Just when I think I've heard it all, we get riders cooking body parts from the heat, next thing ya know you'll be cooking dinners or sumpin on em. :lol: Why don't you sensative skin guys just go out and buy spree's or someother scooter/moped machines? <_< It's been upper eightys lower nintys here an my mesh tech britches are workin out just fine even without the nomex liners :lol:
:jester:
Normally I would agree, but I don't think it's too much to ask to not get myself cooked by something I dropped 12 grand on.

I'm the same dimensions and highway pegs help with that a lot. So does laying down on the tank bag and stretching your legs back over the passenger pegs and letting you feet float under the bags on long trips. But that's not for everybody either :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I understood they were "warm" but they cannot be hot enough to actually burn you can they? I mean holy shit.
I'm not a lawyer and have never ridden a pre-06 for any length of time but if you can actually get burned by parts that would normally touch the rider (not talking about the pipes) through gear or not, to me that would seem actionable and negligent.
Just hold your legs out a bit from the tank...

It's not as hot as the oil bag or the pipes or the tranny on my Harley!

And wear some real riding pants...<BG>

I know Harley riders with permanent burns on their inner thighs.... and they do ride all dayi in shorts...ok, they're riding in Hawaii, but oh well <G>

Mary

go over to www.fjrowners.ws and look for "cromeit heat fix".

Here is a link - to it. Fabricate and install his little heat shield and remove the air deflector plastic by the radiator and it makes a BIG difference on the 03-05 FJR's.

Cromeit Heat Fix

Use the Search function and look for the left side heat fix.. It works.

I did three things on my 04 and it really helped if not fixed the problem. All three are listed on the website. The Cromit fix, takes about an hour. Buy some Frostking foil backed insulation and tape a layer to the bottom of the tank, takes about an hour. Remove the rubber shields between the tank bottom and the frame, do it while the tank is up or off.

Afterwards, I rode two days a total of about 900 miles in 95 degree humid weather without a problem. I also have a set of handle bar risers which help me sit back from the tank, however, I never noticed the tank or frame to be really that hot and I had jeans on. One other thing, the engine temp never got over two bars unless I was going through a town.

I recently did all the heat fixes on my 05, and i am happy with the results. I thought the heat was such an issue before i fixed it, i would avoid riding altogether on hot days (85+). Before the fixes i would rate the heat on a scale of 10 (unbearably hot) to 1 (ideal comfort, heat not noticeably different from the time your start the bike to normal operating temp).

Before any heat fixes the heat issue to me it was a 10. It was my first priority to fix on this bike. After insulating under the gas tank it was then an 8. After cromeits left and right side heat fixes it is now a 3. I am not motivated enough to do anymore to bring it closer to a 1 since i am really close now, and will ride in any weather now. The remaining heat difference keeping it from being a 1 to me is the radiant heat coming from the frame when bike has been at operating temp for a while. When i have spare time or nothing else better to do, I will attempt to add some sort of insulation or cover/heat sheild over the frame from my shin to just above my knees and i beleive this would bring it to a 1.

I am searching for information with specifics on how to do the "chromeit heat fix" I have been looking at posts and disabled links for about an hour, but cannot fins the specifics. Can anyone help this newbie? Thanks.

I am searching for information with specifics on how to do the "chromeit heat fix" I have been looking at posts and disabled links for about an hour, but cannot fins the specifics. Can anyone help this newbie? Thanks.
Tim,

Those links I have are busted, too. Did you try the Wayback Machine? They may have "snapshots" of those pages from the past. Start with the newest, if you have choices there. They may not have the direct link, but a post that mentions those links may still connect to the right pages.

I have seen forum members try wrapping the headers with exhaust tape (fugly, but if it works, it works). Some have ceramic-coated the header pipes (lookin' fine). I can't recommend either approach, because I do not know if they helped the problem to any degree, and neither one is cheap.

Don't wear jorts and flip flops?
Funny...and not funny. I was remembering back a dozen years ago when one thread was complaining about the heat too....turning out that they WERE wearing more or less what you described.

And I remember the forum having to ask riders to clarify from that point on what exactly they were wearing...and then the OP often going suspiciously silent.

But I'm sure this time has to be different. :)

Go buy some metalized bubble insulation from your big box hardware store and put a layer between the tank and the engine. It will/might help...a bit if the part that's hot to you is the tank. Gen 1's aren't any hotter than newer bikes.....it's the same 1300cc engine and same amount of heat. It's how they manage the heat including bleeding fuel back to the tank from the fuel rail. Gen 2 and later were redesigned.

The heat shield is spelled "Cromeit". I googled it and found a lot of references to it, but the instructions seem to be lost in the internet ether. The instructions included a template that you could print and use to mark the sheet metal for cutting, so perhaps someone still has a printout of it.

Regarding the hot tank, yes it gets very hot on long rides. I like to ride up against the tank and always wear full motorcycle pants with jeans under them. Jeans alone and even mesh over jeans was not enough protection.

The heat coming off of my tank has become unbearable combined with the summer heat. I can't touch my legs to the side of the bike, and even still it turns my inner thighs red.

I have an '03 and have tried all the heat 'fixes'. I'll probably get flamed for this, but none of them work. Waste of time and money. I suppose you could remove the small inner cowling panels to flow more air, but that allows all the other crap coming off the road into the bike. The best thing is to keep the tank full, or as full as possible. Or, like others have said, get a gen 2 or 3. I cannot afford to go that route, so I am resigned to riding my FJR when the weather is on the cooler side.

The heat shield is spelled "Cromeit". I googled it and found a lot of references to it, but the instructions seem to be lost in the internet ether. The instructions included a template that you could print and use to mark the sheet metal for cutting, so perhaps someone still has a printout of it.

Regarding the hot tank, yes it gets very hot on long rides. I like to ride up against the tank and always wear full motorcycle pants with jeans under them. Jeans alone and even mesh over jeans was not enough protection.
If you are a member of the FJR Enthusiasts Facebook page, I posted a file there a few years back detailing this fix. I’ll try to find it and post here for you if you can’t find it there.

Funny...and not funny. I was remembering back a dozen years ago when one thread was complaining about the heat too....turning out that they WERE wearing more or less what you described.

And I remember the forum having to ask riders to clarify from that point on what exactly they were wearing...and then the OP often going suspiciously silent.

But I'm sure this time has to be different. :)

Go buy some metalized bubble insulation from your big box hardware store and put a layer between the tank and the engine. It will/might help...a bit if the part that's hot to you is the tank. Gen 1's aren't any hotter than newer bikes.....it's the same 1300cc engine and same amount of heat. It's how they manage the heat including bleeding fuel back to the tank from the fuel rail. Gen 2 and later were redesigned.

Those previous posts was what I was remembering.

I originally used rock wool firewall insulation but swapped it for the foiled bubble sheet.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/insul/insul.html

My buddy who bought my Gen 1 is also interested in this information. Once upon a time, this forum would never give up on tracking down info to help out fellow riders. It's got to be out there somewhere.

The fixes did work for me and I do wear appropriate gear...

Ebay for the under tank insulation, although you can buy and cut out yourself some sliver insulation.

I can't find the links but I copied everything so here it is:

I made my deflector out of pretty thin steel...

Boys -

Here it is, left side heat mod (left side only).

Please understand that we (Rideit55 & myself) have been dealing with this horrible heat just as all of you have during these hot days. We have created a heat shield that effectively eliminates direct left side heat. Installing this mod made a very noticeable difference from what you maybe experiencing now. Having made this mod on three FJR's all three of us agree: NO MORE LEFT SIDE HEAT. This is a very simple fix once the part has been fabricated by using the template provided. Once the part has been made the installation that follows should take another 30-45 minutes. Understand, the part that you see in the photos was made in my garage with a Dremel cut off tool and bent on a Black&Decker workbench, which took us approximately 30 minutes. The only other tool that will be needed for this is a drill with a 5/16" bit to drill the mounting hole. The bends are 90 degree and are marked on the template.
A tight fit of the part on the bike is required to gain full effect of the mod (see photos). So proper bends are critical. Bend bottom tab last. The bottom tab needs to be tight against the bottom frame mount (see photos). DO NOT PRE DRILL PART. Once part has been positioned properly then mark the part from the backside through the engine mount hole, remove the part then drill the 5/16" hole. Use a 5/16" X 1" stainless bolt then position and mount the part. Reinstall left fairing panel but DO NOT REINSTALL THE SMALL BLACK AIR DIRECTION PANEL (see photo). Removing this panel redirects the hot air flow down and out rather than directly on your leg. If for cosmetic reasons you feel uncomfortable leaving the panel out, you may opt for the cutaway version of the panel (see photo).

Template for cut out...
Template

Fabricated part...
Part A
Part B
Part C
Part D

Mounting tab on engine for part...
Frame A

Part positioned and mounted...
Frame B
Frame C
Frame D
Frame E

DO NOT REINSTALL AIR DIRECTION PANEL...
Panel

Cutaway version of air direction panel...
Panel 2

Final assembly view...
Frame E

Finishing photos of right side fix to follow...
10016.jpg

Attachments

• 10017.jpg
    10017.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 10022.jpg
    10022.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 10023.jpg
    10023.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 10024.jpg