Isle of Man TT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great. Have only watched the 1st 10 mins. This is motorcycle racing at it's finest. One of these days I will go to the Isle. Can't wait for the racing season to start.

Having never been a motorcycle racing fan in the past, I was wondering what this race was called. I caught little bits and pieces of it on the Speed Channel last years, and thought it was the coolest thing I have ever seen in racing. I will have to do a search and find out when it will be on TV, and make sure I record it.

Thanks for the link, I will have to watch the entire thing when I have more time.

I would encourage watching the whole show...and turn up the sound. It is nice to watch with no commercials or any interruptions. Just packed with excellent footage from around the course and on the bikes and pretty good commentation. That circuit must be terrifying at those speeds. I cannot believe that more people aren't killed racing like that. Just trusting that the circuit is clear around all the blind corners and hills takes some major scrote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sooooo going to get fired. I just sat at work and watched the entire video clip. Man I'm glad my boss didn't walk in.

You can mail it right from the Google site. Look to the left.

One of my riding buddies is a Brit and has been to numerous IOM TT's. He has been here building airplanes for 10 years, but we are planning on making one in the next couple of years. It has been one of my dreams for 25 years. I regret not seeing Joey Dunlop race but Colin did.

Thanks for sharing a great video!

Bloody brilliant that was!! Couldn't help but sit and watch the whole thing. Some of the best race coverage I've seen for quite awhile. Thanks!

Impressive!

Looks like the video is in fast forward, from the on-bike cameras.

THANKS!

Sons gave me the 2006 IOM TT DVD. Six great races [including two with side cars]. Additional feature of a top class racer in one practice with bike sound, speed and accel/decel. Nineteen minutes +- of pure rush [top indicated speed of 190 mph and turns @ 19 mph with the runs thru the towns @ 150 to 160 mph, all without real signage].

Eldest son may take an assignment in Ireland for a couple of year so maybe I visit him and do the IOM TT in 2008 [year 101 of racing].

Still two feet of snow in front yard, come back summer! :clapping:

I want to make the 2008 TT. Last year we talked about the 100-year anniversary, but never made the plans for it. It would be nice to have a relative or close friend to stay with over there. I would expect that accommodations are difficult to come by that time of year.

Had been reading about teh IOM since I was Riding my Schwinn Orange Crate around. Was always waiting for my friends to be ready to go and it never worked out. So in 2005 I went over by myself. Rented an R6 in London and spent 2 weeks. What a BLAST! I actually lived with a family and it worked out pretty good. If you are thinking of going... GO SOON!! THere is talk of neutering the event in the near fututre. The island is being taken over by bankers who aren't really fond of having their rountine screwed up for a fortnight every June. On top of the deaths and carnage... (3 racers and a corner worker bought it when I was there).

Just as some sort of idea how fast these nut cases go. When the race is not in session the "track" turns back to a public road. THere are inforced speed limits in town but none out side of the towns. I'd say 75% of the track is "country". I've been roadracing for 20 years and can get down a road at a pretty decent clip. I'd been around the course at least 10 times so I thot I'd look at my watch and have a go at a "brisk" lap. Had to do the limit in the towns of course... My lap time? 45 minutes. THe fast guys are under 18 minutes!! It is without a doubt the most insane thing I have ever seen. Any questions if you are a potential attendee I'd be happy to lend my 2 cents.

Brad

Thanks Jestal !!! That was AWESOME !! As a poor sumbitch on a fixed income, I welcome the chance to see the race without having to buy it!!! Thanks again !!

Bobby

Had been reading about teh IOM since I was Riding my Schwinn Orange Crate around. Was always waiting for my friends to be ready to go and it never worked out. So in 2005 I went over by myself. Rented an R6 in London and spent 2 weeks. What a BLAST! I actually lived with a family and it worked out pretty good. If you are thinking of going... GO SOON!! THere is talk of neutering the event in the near fututre. The island is being taken over by bankers who aren't really fond of having their rountine screwed up for a fortnight every June. On top of the deaths and carnage... (3 racers and a corner worker bought it when I was there).Just as some sort of idea how fast these nut cases go. When the race is not in session the "track" turns back to a public road. THere are inforced speed limits in town but none out side of the towns. I'd say 75% of the track is "country". I've been roadracing for 20 years and can get down a road at a pretty decent clip. I'd been around the course at least 10 times so I thot I'd look at my watch and have a go at a "brisk" lap. Had to do the limit in the towns of course... My lap time? 45 minutes. THe fast guys are under 18 minutes!! It is without a doubt the most insane thing I have ever seen. Any questions if you are a potential attendee I'd be happy to lend my 2 cents.

Brad
Dartn,

Since I'm geographically challenged, where does one fly into to attend the IOM TT? Is lodging insanely expensive, food, etc..? In other words, would a guy burn more cash attending this race than, say a week in Hawaii? Got to convince the Mrs. that the motherland is the place to visit instead of pineapple land.

Awesome video and coverage. I believ the destination will be made by me and the wifee in a year or two to sip tea and watch them run past in person...Gortta Love it.

Wasn't there talk the last couple of years about running a TT type of race in Nova Scotia? Anybody know what ever happened to that idea?

Dartn,

Since I'm geographically challenged, where does one fly into to attend the IOM TT? Is lodging insanely expensive, food, etc..? In other words, would a guy burn more cash attending this race than, say a week in Hawaii? Got to convince the Mrs. that the motherland is the place to visit instead of pineapple land.

Sorry I haven't replied... I flew into London ....that's in England =)

Ok I doubt you are THAT challenged!

You can also fly into Belfast Ireland and can even take a flight right to the isle.

About 300 miles north of London you catch a ferry to the IOM.

I stayed in someone's house (they encourge the locals to open their homes as there isn't enough hotels to handle the crush). It was very nice. There were (2) other bikers shacked up in the other bedrooms. Worked out real nice. I can't imagine what it will be like this year with the 100th celebration and all..

Met some guys who were staying in town in a hotel. They had a nice room. Two twins, tiny bath, older, cramped place but clean. I think it was 175 pounds a nite ($325 ish) SO I'd call it expensive. Food was the same as here...Burger is 5 buck here, it was 5 pounds there....oh wait. THe exchange was 1.85 bucks bought 1 pound so everything is basically doubled. gas was even worse at about a pound a liter (roughly 7 bucks a gallon). The bike rental cost me $2000US for two weeks (might have been a bit more...my memory is getting cloudy). I rented from Raceways in London. They rent touring rigs (FJR, STs) big liter bikes and the 600's. Bike was in great shape and worked awesome. The island was very pretty. It's damp most of the time so it's very green. Lots of old buildings and neat things to see even if you aren't a bike nut. I think my wife would have enjoyed it but she didn't want to be around so much motorcyle nonsense.

I would think you could do a nice Hawawian trip a bit cheaper but than again, no racers will go by your hotel at 185mph! And you can't take a lap of Maui at a 100 plus and not worry about a ticket!

Once they found out what it REALLY was it was cancelled.

Can't remeber where I read it, probably Roadracing World.