It's a Ticker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_MA

Reaction score
Took my '05, 26K miles in yesterday for the valve check and state inspection. My mechanic says it's sounding a little loud isn't it? :cryingsmiley: I said "Yeah, I've been in denial about the ticking" as my YES ran out last June '09.

Today I found out that Yamaha is going to cover it, but they are only doing the exhaust side, supplying 8 guides and seals and paying for the labor. He's going to check it out and argue with them if he finds any issues on the intakes, etc. He's also going to check the CCT as long as its apart.

Here's hoping... :calm:

Which dealership is doing the work? If it's close enough to me I may think about having some of the bigger work like this done there.

Probably a good time to get the cam chain and CCT replaced, too, but Yamaha won't cover that with the tick fix now that your YES has expired. Still -- with the engine apart, do yourself a favor and get that done. I had all that done on my '05 at about 28K miles last summer, but my YES didn't expire until April 9 of this year, so I got the CCT and cam chain replaced without charge, too. (I also have one of the best Yamaha dealers and service departments about 12 miles away.)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is excellent news. It is pleasing to see Yamaha stepping up and taking responsibility for the problem. It also sounds like you have a good dealer that knows about the problem.

Skibum speaks the truth. No tickaroo here, but Roseville Yammy is about as good as it gets.

This reminds me though, I need ol Zac to check out a loose harness issue before my YES runs out next month.

My bike has been in getting the tick fixed for 2.5 weeks now.

Same as you, mine started ticking in earnest right after the YES ran out. I've ridden the last two years (about 50K) with it ticking badly. I still didn't have to add any oil between changes but I figure it was time to get it fixed.

Yamaha Canada hasn't been nearly as good to FJR owners wrt fixing tickers that Yamaha US has been. Now that being said, they are ponying up for all materials after both me, and my dealer, raising bloody hell. I'm still on the hook for all labour and machine work though. Still, their replacing the entire exhaust side (valves, guides, seals) that I don't have to pay out of my pocket for. I requested the dealer change the CCT (mine was fine), cam chain along with all the head bolts but I garuntee I'll be out of pocket for those.

I'll have to write some letters to both the dealer and Yamaha Canada in thanks.

Last I spoke to the dealer (RL Equipment in Verner Ont. two thumbs up!) my bike should be ready for pick up this Friday.. So far my riding season has consisted of one tank of gas. :/

.. come on friday!

jmarran:

Valley Motorsports in Northampton is doing the work. Matt in service is the guy to talk to. They've done quite a few of them.

I run up to Performance Automotive in Pittsfield for Saab warranty work so its close enough.

Yeah I was very pleased that Yamaha stepped up to the plate. And I will have the CCT done while its apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I found out that Yamaha is going to cover it, but they are only doing the exhaust side, supplying 8 guides and seals and paying for the labor. He's going to check it out and argue with them if he finds any issues on the intakes, etc.
The exhaust guides are the ones the tick comes from, so no coverage on the intake is not a surprise. Nothing to worry about.

Peter,

While he is giving you a quote, have him give you an idea of how much it would cost to do the Updated Valves/Guides.

It would be a great time to have uniform parts across the board... they did this on mine although it was not needed for it was bad diagnosis ultimately.

Welllll shoot.

I was moving my FJR back into the basement/shop/man cave today and was greeted with a ticking noise upon start up. Last week-end when I parked it it was as quiet as a church mouse, then as soon as I started it today it immediately starts a very noticeable but not horribly loud ticking. It increases and decreases in frequency with RPM, and oddly enough goes away at idle once warmed up, yet is still noticeable when engine RPM's are increased.

It has the sound of a bad hydraulic lifter in a car but not near as loud or pronounced. I'm not really thinking it's valve train related and kinda think it is the CCT, but it sounds nothing like cam chain issues I've had on the four stroke singles I've had in the past. (this is my first in-line four btw). It's really hard to say which side the noise is coming from, but it seems more noticeable on the right, which is once reason I'm thinking CCT.

The bike is an '07 with a little over 22K on it. Has anyone heard of or had any problems with CCT's on the Gen II's?

Bruce

The bike is an '07 with a little over 22K on it. Has anyone heard of or had any problems with CCT's on the Gen II's?
Sounds more like out of spec valve than a CCT or valve guide issue. 22K? I'm assuming you've never had the valves done and, I believe, 26K is the recommended interval.

'tickers' are barely noticable at idle, at least mine is. Get it between 2800-3500 rpm though you'd have no doubt!

CCT's sound like a coffee can full of ball bearings rolling around.

Sounds more like out of spec valve than a CCT or valve guide issue. 22K? I'm assuming you've never had the valves done and, I believe, 26K is the recommended interval.

'tickers' are barely noticable at idle, at least mine is. Get it between 2800-3500 rpm though you'd have no doubt!

CCT's sound like a coffee can full of ball bearings rolling around.
Hmmm... OK, thanks for the info. That's most definitely not what I'm hearing. Most other Yamaha's I've been around that are shim under bucket style have rarely gotten enough out of adjustment to make much noise at all. My son's '05 FZ6 with over 30K was checked over the winter and found to still be within spec. But you know how that goes.

Guess what I'll be doing over the week-end... ;)

Bruce

Try just changing the oil first, see if it improves. Sometimes "clean" oil gets places better.

Cheaper and easier work than taking the top off, even though it's nearly time.

Try just changing the oil first, see if it improves. Sometimes "clean" oil gets places better.
Cheaper and easier work than taking the top off, even though it's nearly time.
Yeah, thought about that too. But I'm also wondering if I could have some carbon build up on the valves as well. In the "this is a whole other story" department I just happen to have a case of Yamaha's "Ring Free" fuel additive. Seeing as the price is right I thought I might as well try a bottle and run a tank of fuel through it and see what happens. Providing of course the ticking doesn't get any worse in the mean time. The directions on the bottle call for an oil change after using the product so that'll happen to and we'll see what happens.

Bruce

Welllll shoot.
I was moving my FJR back into the basement/shop/man cave today and was greeted with a ticking noise upon start up. Last week-end when I parked it it was as quiet as a church mouse, then as soon as I started it today it immediately starts a very noticeable but not horribly loud ticking. It increases and decreases in frequency with RPM, and oddly enough goes away at idle once warmed up, yet is still noticeable when engine RPM's are increased.

It has the sound of a bad hydraulic lifter in a car but not near as loud or pronounced. I'm not really thinking it's valve train related and kinda think it is the CCT, but it sounds nothing like cam chain issues I've had on the four stroke singles I've had in the past. (this is my first in-line four btw). It's really hard to say which side the noise is coming from, but it seems more noticeable on the right, which is once reason I'm thinking CCT.

Bruce
A while back I though I was hearing a tick sound... found out it was a loose exhaust header. Might want to check that as well, as it could vary in tone/intensity depending on the seal of the header with the engine casing as the engine warms and cools.

A while back I though I was hearing a tick sound... found out it was a loose exhaust header. Might want to check that as well, as it could vary in tone/intensity depending on the seal of the header with the engine casing as the engine warms and cools.
Another excellent thought! You guys are great!

Thanks!!

Bruce

I think the 04 I just got is a ticker. It has a pretty loud ticking sound that sounds like valves. But, the ticking isn't a constant speed, increasing as the engine speeds up. It also seems to be the same loudness on both left and right sides.

I will ask the local Yamaha dealer to check it out.

Yeah, thought about that too. But I'm also wondering if I could have some carbon build up on the valves as well. In the "this is a whole other story" department I just happen to have a case of Yamaha's "Ring Free" fuel additive. Seeing as the price is right I thought I might as well try a bottle and run a tank of fuel through it and see what happens. Providing of course the ticking doesn't get any worse in the mean time. The directions on the bottle call for an oil change after using the product so that'll happen to and we'll see what happens.
Bruce
Just thought I'd post an update. I ran through a bottle of Ring Free and the problem cleared up. In fact, after about 10 minutes of running the engine with a heavy dose of the stuff the ticking stopped. I ran the heavily dosed tank of fuel through the engine and haven't heard the noise since.

As a side note, I had gotten in the habit of running high test with my last bike and continued that with the FJR. The next tank of fuel after using the additive was regular though and I have been using it ever since. My son and I just made a trip to south Florida and back and while I can't say I noticed a difference in performance I can say that my fuel mileage was better.

Imagine that...

Bruce

I'm pretty confident the 03 I bought last week is a ticker...whats weird is that I didn't hear the noise last week(i was listening for it often) and then I heard it loud and clear today.