Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Ivan's Rockland County Motorcycle
5205 Old Buncombe Road, Unit A2
Greenville, South Carolina

Rarely, if ever, have I been this satisfied with a vendor's product. Sent a 2013 and 2006 ECU for reflash over the holidays, 10% off if flashed and returned by 12/31 or so. I was late, missed the window. Ivan honored the discount anyway.

Units were return shipped within 2 days. Very prompt. The 2013 returned as the unit I sent. The 2006 retuned as a newer unit, from a 2009 IIRC. Don't remember all the details, but apparently mammaYamma did some minor improvements. Ivan had a 'newer'  ECU available and sent it. Nice. No extra charge.

2013 - nice, subtle improvements.

[SIZE=1.3em]2006 - Wow. WOW. WOW.[/SIZE]

A completely new, different, wonderful motobike KrZy8 is now.. I mean holy crapola... Before, KrZy8 was less than the 13 in 'tour' mode. KrZy8, after all the work (ignition leads trimmed, cap resistors checked, new-to-me TB's and associated sensors, new air filter and spark plugs  AND Ivan's flash..

Seriously, it now pulls harder from down low rpm's in 5th than it used to 3rd gear. No vibration, anywhere. Idle is rock steady, no 2-300 rpm hunting. Having fans turn on earlier is nice too. No more deceleration BS... 

Oh, mpg from high 20's low 30's to low 40's!

Ivan's flash on the 2013 made a nice platform better, but on the Gen2, completely transforms the entire riding experience. It really is *that* good.

Ivan created the tune that Yamaha should have done from the factory for the 2006.  Enjoy the revitalized KrZy8!

I sent my 2013 to him just for the unlimited cruise control.  There was nothing wrong with it otherwise, but I noticed some very subtle change as well.  Taking off from a stop seems a bit smoother  Transitions from off to on throttle feels smoother.  The bike feels more gutsy in the lower ranges.  I'm an old coot who generally runs along at lower rpms, and the bike just feels like it's got more gumption down there now.  I would have done it for the unlimited cruise control, but I'm pleased with the other results as well.

Ivan is very good to work with.  I sent my ECU to him, and he flashed it and sent it back the day he got it.  Then, FedEx lost it.  Many vendors would have said wait to see how this shakes out, but Ivan bought another, flashed it, and got it to me right away.  The lost one finally showed up a couple of weeks later, and he wound up eating the cost of the replacement.  He's a very stand up guy.

This has little relevance (as I don't feel the need to send my '19 ECU for a reflash - maybe I'm wrong?), but I will say that the jet kit that Ivan sold for my early 2000's YZF-R6 made it the best fueled motorcycle I have ever ridden -period. He is credible.

This has little relevance (as I don't feel the need to send my '19 ECU for a reflash - maybe I'm wrong?), but I will say that the jet kit that Ivan sold for my early 2000's YZF-R6 made it the best fueled motorcycle I have ever ridden -period. He is credible.
I don't have a 19 model... but am confident it would help. Help enough for the $$ is the real question.

I have a '13, and it did help, but the cruise control fix on the '13s made it worth it to me.  If I had a '14 or later, it wouldn't have been worth it.  
Would you please elaborate how it helped you 2013 bike?  I"m on the fence as I've read in this forum others with 2013 that weren't satisfied and would likely return the ECU to OEM standard, as the idle was off, among other things...

Would you please elaborate how it helped you 2013 bike?  I"m on the fence as I've read in this forum others with 2013 that weren't satisfied and would likely return the ECU to OEM standard, as the idle was off, among other things...
The big help for me was the removal of the 82 mph limit on the cruise control.  I can now set the cruise for as high as I want in whatever gear I want.  That alone was worth the price.  Prior to this the only fix I could find was a 2014 or 2015 ECU.  I wouldn't pay that price; I would pay $350.

Other than that, throttle / clutch coordination from a stop seems easier when I'm tired.  Rolling back on from a closed throttle seems smoother.  I don't know that I notice a lot of difference otherwise; maybe if I rode a '13 stock and with the flash back to back I would.  If I were to pick up another FJR later than the '13, I wouldn't bother.

A side note, others say their fuel mileage improved with the flash, but mine dropped.  The 9000 miles or so after the flash have average 43.7 mph, and the 9000 or so before averaged 47.2.  That's really not a huge issue, but it sure didn't improve the mileage.  I keep records in Excel, so this sort of analysis is easy :)

I have a '13 now and despite the occasional need for >82 mph on the cruise control, I've decided that the $350 Ivan wants is too much.  I'll install a throttle lock instead.  If he'd change JUST the cruise limit and leave everything else as is for about $150 I'd jump on it.

I have a '13 now and despite the occasional need for >82 mph on the cruise control, I've decided that the $350 Ivan wants is too much.  I'll install a throttle lock instead.  If he'd change JUST the cruise limit and leave everything else as is for about $150 I'd jump on it.
I got frustrated that the set and resume buttons didn't work at all above 82.  I'd catch slower traffic, pause the cruise, then move right into faster traffic to clear the slow traffic, pull in and hit resume at a tad above 82 expecting it to return to speed, and it'd fall on its face.  I'm was also touring at the time with a guy on a Goldwing who'd set his cruise just tad above what I could when he was leading, and that got frustrating.

I finally decided that, for $350, I'd do it.    

A side note, others say their fuel mileage improved with the flash, but mine dropped.  The 9000 miles or so after the flash have average 43.7 mph, and the 9000 or so before averaged 47.2.  That's really not a huge issue, but it sure didn't improve the mileage.  I keep records in Excel, so this sort of analysis is easy :)
Makes sense that the mileage would increase slightly as the gas keeps flowing with the ECU tune.  I had a hard time understanding how mileage could go down with more gas flowing

This thread has me VERY interested as I JUST bought an ‘06.

I searched his business and the Google says “Permanently Closed”

Anybody have info on this status?

Im pretty sure I’d like to get this tune on my bike.

thx

MT Jarasa

Ahhhh

yes it does 

looks like the shop site is being marked as closed, not sure if it’s accurate 

the performance products site looks good, and thx for pointing me in the right direction 

He, like many others, escaped New York and went south.  I believe the one listed as permanently closed was his old shop in Rockland County.

I think he may be on vacation ... and/or dodging the Feds looking at ECU modifiers.

I am very happy with my 2013.  Smoother shifts and unlimited CC!

Latest posts