I've ridden a few thousand miles on my 05 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be suspension: If the suspension is too soft and wallows, you may want to consider upgrading the springs and/or shock. You can look into aftermarket options that are stiffer and better suited to your riding style. Handlebars: If you don't like the heated grips and find the current setup uncomfortable, you could consider installing new handlebars that are more ergonomic and better suited to your preference. Brakes: If you don't like the ABS or linked brake setup, you could consider upgrading to a different brake system altogether. There are many high-performance aftermarket brake systems available that can provide better stopping power and control.

Maybe there was air in the lines, old fluid that needed changed, slow pistons in the calipers that need(ed) rebuilt... but I did the stainless brake line upgrade last year, and did see an improvement. Hopefully you will, too.

I just did braided lines on my Tenere 700, a lot less rubber lines on that bike and really good brakes on that bike for its size, noticaicaly improved brake feel at the lever.

The brake lines are not going to make the lever easier to pull, but they improve the vague mushy feel at the lever.

It's all relative (to what you were riding previously and to your expectations). My stock --except for Helibar risers and RDL seat-- 2005 just hit 190,000 miles: 50k first owner, 140k me, and I couldn't be happier! Suspension great, engine great, comfort great, reliability great = nothing to complain about. Just hit the start button, go riding, one up, two up, cross town or cross country. What's not to like?!?
140,000 miles on an FJR with 190,000?? My God, you're like a superhero or something. I've honestly never even heard of an FJR with that kind of miles. Hats off to you my friend. Hats off.

140,000 miles on an FJR with 190,000?? My God, you're like a superhero or something. I've honestly never even heard of an FJR with that kind of miles. Hats off to you my friend. Hats off.
Sold my 07 with 185,000 miles - still working perfectly and nothing other than maintenance to engine, transmission and clutch - not much done to the rest of the bike, either.
100,000 miles on my current 2011 with zero issues other than consumables, one set of fork seals and a shifter rubber. Period! Even the original battery. A couple hundred thousand miles is well within my expectations.

Got that bike sorted out. The suspension was the biggest improvement. What a great bike now.
Could you elaborate on the benefits of all the mods you did on your bike? I also have a 2005 and feel the brakes are weak and the bike wallows a bit in turns. I just picked up some DOT 5.1 brake fluid, so I can flush and vacuum bleed the brakes. The previous owner put on a 3rd gen rear shock and Race Tech springs in the forks, but I don't know what spring rates. I'm going to try to dial what I have in, but would love to learn more about your updates.

The bike is much more settled, way less up and down movement. Try new brake pads too. I put on a semi metallic pad on my bike and that helped with the binders.