Jackets: 3/4 length vs. standard length

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulerc

Reaction score
i am starting to look around at jackets and have found 2 from Tourmaster that i really like. i have tried them both on and like them both. My biggest concern is wether or not the 3/4 length Sonora will "bunch" up in the back when seated? i like the idea of the 3/4 length jacket but also want it to be comfortable on the long haul. i have had several people tell me in person that it will in fact bunch up, and, for them anyway, it is bothersome. they recommended the standard length Intake Air 2. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

FYI, i mostly ride in the urban/sub urban areas with a monthly "state wide" ride and i plan on doing long distance rides 2 to 3 times a year.

3/4 definitely...won't ever wear any other

1) keeps the rain water from running down into the front of your pants

2) much better protection if you are sliding down the road after an unfortunate incident

love my cool weather Epic and my warm weather Sonora (all Tourmaster in High Viz)

best to ya,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
In the summer I wear regular length mesh, but in early spring and fall I wear a Tourmaster Pivot which is 3/4 length and I never noticed if it bunched up. Maybe it does, but it is not uncomfortable, and in cooler weather keeps me warm and keeps me dry in wet weather.

...depends on the time of year. Up here in the PNWet, winter gear is 3/4 length with enough room for a heated jacket and as Patriot pointed out, length to keep you dry. Bunching in the back really isn't an issue with a jacket that fits you well. Summer gear is a two piece Cycle Port with the short jacket zipped to the pants.

If the Tourmaster gear fits you well, you have your answer!

--G

Mesh jacket for local warm weather and 3/4 for trips and cooler weather. I just switched from Tour Master to Olympia AST and really like it.

I always wear the 3/4 length. In part it depends on your body shape. I have a long torso and a regular length jacket rides up my back when I'm leaning forward and leaves a gap between the jacket and pants.

The bottom line, get what fits you best.

I wear 3/4 length for cold weather. Cold weather gear is always somewhat restrictive but "bunch" in the back isn't a issue for me.

As you can tell from my profile pic, I wear the 3/4 TourMaster Sonora in Hi Viz yellow. I have never had a problem with the jacket bunching up. It has held up well over the past 9K miles. The weather is starting to cool a bit, so I'm looking forward to testing it's lower temp range. When the temps fall down towards the 40's (not to much here in FL) I switch to my old Kilimanjaro jacket. One note about many 3/4 jackets...you can unzip the jackets from the bottom if it bunches in the front while riding.

In cooler months I've worn a 3/4 jacket since I've been riding. Come the summer months I wear a regular length mesh type jacket that zips to my pants. I do not remember the 3/4 length ever bunching up. Even if it did, every 3/4 jacket that I've put on has a zipper that zips both ways to alleviate any uncomfort if some exists. Keep in mind that if you ride in cool weather the extra length is going to be better at blocking wind from going up the jacket.

One note about many 3/4 jackets...you can unzip the jackets from the bottom if it bunches in the front while riding.
If you are doing this then you're not wearing it correctly.

In the event of a get-off you're relying on the strength of the zipper pull ( weak )

instead of the fully engaged zipper ( quite strong, actually ) to keep your jacket

closed and protect your torso.

Instead, try this: take about 4-5 inches of the bottom front of your ( zippered ) jacket

and fold it up, inside the jacket. The crease of the fold should rest on top of

your thighs when seated on the bike. Pull down the rear of the jacket to CYA.

This gives you benefit of a short jacket's fit and a long jacket's protection from

cold, rain and wind.

I've been wearing 3/4 length jackets for over 30 years and find their versatility

far outweighs any issues of comfort or fit when worn on a regular basis.

I can't give up the extra pockets a 3/4 affords, especially when commuting; everything

I need stays in the jacket.

I've got a motoport 3/4 jacket, and a olympia ast 3/4 jacket. Neither have ever bothered me in terms of bunching up, on either bike. I wouldn't worry about it unless your really sensitive. However they sure do keep the draft out, and are easy to bundle up with when it gets chilly.

I :yahoo: my Sonora jacket. It is not as long as some "3/4" jackets (the Aerostich Darien, for example) so I would call it a "5/8" or "11/16" length. I tried a Darien and found I was sitting on it in the back and that was uncomfortable and restricted forward lean. Not so with the Sonora. I also like the elbow and shoulder armor which seems a little more generous than some other jackets. Of course, it vents almost like riding naked (or so I'm told) and the high-viz color is great. I have not tried the liners (thermo and rain).

pete

i thought 3/4 was "standard length". those shorty jackets ride up when bent over the tank and are useless except for GQ photo shoots.

Like many of the others, for most of the year (cooler months) it is one of the three 3/4 length jackets I own (so has anyone ever seen a "full length" motorcycle jacket?). The only place that they ever "bunch" is in the front, not the back, and you just have to straighten it out and it's all good. I own 2 Fieldsheers and an off brand (Shelter) Gore Tex that came with a BMW I bought years ago.

My wife and my new Olympia mesh jackets are 1/2 length and zip to the mesh pants, as it just doesn't make much sense to wear a longer jacket when you are already sweating your ass off.

One note about many 3/4 jackets...you can unzip the jackets from the bottom if it bunches in the front while riding.
If you are doing this then you're not wearing it correctly.

In the event of a get-off you're relying on the strength of the zipper pull ( weak )

instead of the fully engaged zipper ( quite strong, actually ) to keep your jacket

closed and protect your torso.

Instead, try this: take about 4-5 inches of the bottom front of your ( zippered ) jacket

and fold it up, inside the jacket. The crease of the fold should rest on top of

your thighs when seated on the bike. Pull down the rear of the jacket to CYA.

This gives you benefit of a short jacket's fit and a long jacket's protection from

cold, rain and wind.

I've been wearing 3/4 length jackets for over 30 years and find their versatility

far outweighs any issues of comfort or fit when worn on a regular basis.

I can't give up the extra pockets a 3/4 affords, especially when commuting; everything

I need stays in the jacket.
Good point! I also make sure all my Velcro is fully engaged. :)