July 1, 2007 - See some of the beautiful roads of Pennsylvania

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
Good roads + good people = good fun. We're in the early planning stages of a gathering of Sport Touring enthusiasts looking to explore some of the great roads in central Pennsylvania.

A few of us met yesterday morning to start talking about the ride. You might recognize some of the names of the people I met with. For those in the east/northeast that have a history on Connies, most likely you know the name Russell Flemming. For those that follow the Iron Butt rally and other LD rallies, most likely you know the name of Eddie Phelps. Some of the other people whose names might be familiar to some who have associations with other organizations - Greg Puterbaugh - COG, Mike Montville - VStrom/BMW, Cyndi Corn - BMW/Triumph, Rick Shirk - COG/Triumph, Fred Huganir - BMW.

We're still in the early planning stages, but, here's where we are so far.

As of now, the date is Sunday, July 1, 2007

Ride will start and end in the Carlisle/Mechanicsburg, PA area. For those not familiar with the area, Carlisle is at the intersection of the PA Turnpike (I-76) and I-81, so, it's very easy to get there from many different areas.

We will have multiple routes planned out - in the neighborhood of 150-250 miles (and maybe some other rides, i.e. longer distance, shorter 2-up routes, covered bridges, sight seeing, etc)

We already have interest from riders from North Carolina to Canada.

This will not be a chase-the-taillights ride. Rather, everyone will get their turn-by-turn route sheet the day of the meet and are free to run the route they want at the pace they desire.

I've been on few of these types of rides and it really works out good. It doesn't take long to find people that you want to, or don't want to, ride with. Or, you just ride by yourself at your own pace.

If you have any comments, questions, etc., or if you think you might be interested in joining us for the ride, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good time Randy...I will probably miss it this year due to different ride commitments, however if this is an annual thing you might see me there next year :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wealthy? You ride everywhere? Send some of that Canadian$$ down this way would ya?
Not really wealthy!

I try but my riding season is too short!

Just send me your address and I'll see what kind of Canadian **** money I can send you.

Heck I still have three weeks vacation left!

Very cool. Keep posting updates to this thread and we'll follow it.

For the LD riders, you'll be up against the BiTE, first 5 day LD rally in this half of the country. In fact, I'm surprised Ed Phelps isn't planning to ride that. Since I already know I can't make that rally, though, this sounds like a bit of consolation. I think you can count me in.

Glad to hear there is some interest.

Granted, I know it's far in advance, but, if anyone is interested in coming in the night before, there are plenty of hotels in the Carlisle area. https://www.carsatcarlisle.com/guest/where_to_stay.asp (the ones on Harrisburg Pike are closest to the meeting spot).

Most likely, the rides will be somewhere in the 4-6 hr range. We're starting and ending at restaurants and we'll mark some food/gas stops on each of the route sheets.

Randy,

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a good ride. I am very interested. We had a great time earlier this year in West Virginia. I went back down to Snowshoe this fall with a group from Reading. A mix of dual-sports and sport tourers.

Mitch

Sounds like fun. I work weekends and my vacation time is pretty tight next year, but I'm going to try and squeeze this in. Thanks for the heads up.

You just never know. Sounds interesting Randy. I might be out that way this summer, so I'll try to keep up with this thread.