July 2016 Pac Northwest Trip: Wheaton with wifey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Y'all, just starting this thread because I am dreaming of doing a fly and ride with wifey out west and north in July of 2016.

• I am anticipating 14 to 16 days of riding plus one day on each end for flying and picking up or delivering my FJR.
  • This is still in the dreaming stages, so I am not sure if we are flying out to SFO touring NorCal, OR, WA and flying back out of SEA....or...flying out to SEA touring OR/WA and BC and flying back out of SEA.
  • However, I have checked out MCY rates from Doublju out of SF, and this trip DOES NOT HAPPEN if we have to rent a BMW for 16-18 days.
  • I checked out this thread...https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/136526-colorado-ride-being-planned-need-ideas-for-shipping-my-fjr/?hl=shipping ...and this website...https://motorcycleshippers.com/ ...and Bike Shipping rates seem to be on the order of $850 each way
  • Therefore, this trip DOES NOT HAPPEN unless I can find someone who is willing to have a bike shipped to their residence (The shipper requires the dropoff and pick up location to be accessible by SEMI-Trailer for obvious reasons) They need to be able to turn around, etc. (So I guess that rules out the Highlander
    wink.png
    )
Therefore, I am putting this out there and asking if someone on the Forum that knows me, and has a safe storage place like a garage, who lives within taxi distance to those airports is willing to have a 2013 FJR shipped to their residence, store the bike for a number of days until we arrive via taxi...or willing to store the bike until the shipper comes to pick it up. The person would need to be present when the shipper arrives, or when the shipper drops the bike off. I know this may be a tall order...so I need to know whether this is even feasible...or I have to dream a different dream. I am hoping that I could repay whomever with a nice dinner and breakfast. I wouldn't be able to pay large storage fees, as this trip is going to be on the far end of our willing travel expense as it is...but I certainly know that I would owe someone a great thanks and a nice meal or two if that could be arranged.

This trip would happen in July, have not pinned down dates...

I am not asking people who have not met me before to do this...but if you have met me, feel comfortable doing this and are able to do this...send me a PM. (for privacy sake)

If I get no positive responses, that is fine. I had to ask and see whether it is even possible to dream of a trip this way.

That's going to be an awesome trip! We have rented several times from California Motorcycle Adventures in San Jose, the have good rates and really good customer service. The motorcycles are all well maintained and always are inspected to be sure there are no safety issues. They will pick you up from the airport and drive you to the shop (free), they wired up my own GPS and hooked up a connection for pillions own heated gear and stored suit cases and other not needed stuff until we got back. One trip they dropped us at a hotel for the night, another trip they drove us back to the airport. If you call CMA, ask for Ilean (I just love that name for a motorcyclist). Drop me a line if you want any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were to fly in to Portland and then to Redmond Or. I would pick you up and deliver you to your bike stored in my shop and you can use my guest room. I have plenty of room for a shipper to get your bike to me. I would even buy you and your bride a Reuben. The only possible conflict would be the NAFO thing in Colorado. Think about it and let me know if I can help out.

Sorry Don, right now we are looking at July in Canada possibly as being the warmest. Unless some BC Canadians convince me otherwise. I just remember CFR2009 being a little chilly with some rain...so Louanne likes warmth...therefore July.

Sorry Don, right now we are looking at July in Canada possibly as being the warmest. Unless some BC Canadians convince me otherwise. I just remember CFR2009 being a little chilly with some rain...so Louanne likes warmth...therefore July.
Canada? You're going to Canada, eh? Those Fecking Frostbacks burnt down our Capitol, spend your vacation money in Colorado not Canuckistan! JSNS, Hosers!

3068833.jpg

Canada? You're going to Canada, eh? Those Fecking Frostbacks burnt down our Capitol, spend your vacation money in Colorado not Canuckistan! JSNS, Hosers!
They fought alongside our fathers and sons many times since then Don. Or haven't you been reading the newspapers from the 20th and 21st centuries...or the internet, in which you have more than your fair share of exposure.
biggrin.png

I'm not saying we're going there yet, because the itinerary isn't set yet, but I sure want to get a good few days in the BC mountains and lakes regions, either this trip or another.

They fought alongside our fathers and sons many times since then Don. Or haven't you been reading the newspapers from the 20th and 21st centuries...or the internet, in which you have more than your fair share of exposure.
biggrin.png

I'm not saying we're going there yet, because the itinerary isn't set yet, but I sure want to get a good few days in the BC mountains and lakes regions, either this trip or another.
There are some nice figure 8 loops you can ride in BC /Alberta, many knowledgeable riders here in the PNW.

Now THIS was an epic day, last August.... Starting with an early ferry ride, a nice hot breakfast on the boat, first off the ferry and up into the mountains. Wow, what fun!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nanaimo,+BC,+Canada/Whistler,+BC,+Canada/Lillooet,+BC,+Canada/Lytton,+BC,+Canada/Merritt,+BC,+Canada/Kelowna,+BC,+Canada/@49.9224753,-122.8471387,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m38!4m37!1m5!1m1!1s0x5488a15e20ac1c5b:0x50135152a7b0fd0!2m2!1d-123.9400647!2d49.1658836!1m5!1m1!1s0x54873cb203957b87:0x4ab741e875f5cff6!2m2!1d-122.9573563!2d50.1163196!1m5!1m1!1s0x54808a484a0afd9d:0xd7d653f9c69afa57!2m2!1d-121.9367502!2d50.6863017!1m5!1m1!1s0x548104def8a97acb:0x3c5d348aebaad428!2m2!1d-121.581404!2d50.233258!1m5!1m1!1s0x548190e915252047:0x9ad6570e997d39e0!2m2!1d-120.7862222!2d50.1113079!1m5!1m1!1s0x537d8cb6e3c730b3:0x4ef8e53ddab4c4f7!2m2!1d-119.4960106!2d49.8879519!3e0?hl=en
Thanks Spud!

Just throwing this out there, what about hitting up the Red Lodge gathering, then continuing on your trip..... Gets you into BC first part of July....

BTW, first week of July 2007, WA and BC were baking in a 3 week heat wave, around 100F... I rode up thru WA to BC in 102F. A guy at a gas station said, you shoulda been here last Tuesday it was 106.