• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

July 2019: GenII/III Rear Seat Replacing Auxiliary Tank – a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
I am coordinating another short production run of the GenII/III Rear Seat Replacing Auxiliary Tank – a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank.

Although a lot of what follows was copy-n-pasted from previous group buys, there are some significant differences. Please read carefully.

A considerable amount of effort has gone into the development of this tank. For those not familiar with that effort, please read the thread, Auxiliary Cell Design. <Link> This Tag-Along-Tank idea began as a tangent on <Page 2> of that thread

The tank's capacity is 4.797 gallons. It attaches directly to the bike's rear subframe. Capacity, comfort, safety, and ease of use are all important attributes and I believe this design delivers on all counts.

The fringe benefits are certainly subjective, but worth mentioning.
The shape compliments the FJR. They look beautiful together.
The center of gravity is low, a plus for those of us who ride long distances to experience spectacular, curving roads.

DSC05216.JPG
- -
IMG_0129.JPG
- -
IMG_0130.JPG

What is included:
• One Tag-Along Tank for GenII/III FJR
• Two replacement bushings for the FJR's stock grabrail
• Two rubber bumpers for the tank's front supports (McMaster-Carr P/N 9310K124)

What you will need to purchase separately:
• The JAZ filler cap or filler neck of your choice (6 bolt hole pattern)
• One Panel mount valve (McMaster-Carr P/N 4118T62)
• One NPT X 5/16" elbow fitting (Edelmann P/N 831250)
• Three1/8" NPT X 5/16" fittings (Edelmann P/N 820250)
• One short length of 5/16" dia fuel line.
I will be happy to help you source them if you like.

One very important note:
Although every effort has been made to ensure that this tank will function as suitable auxiliary container for the GenII/III FJR, I am an imperfect human being.
By using one of these containers, you accept responsibility for its installation and safe use.

Two significant differences from previous group buys:
1. I am no longer a toolmaker. I will not be making any of the components myself nor providing them to the fabricator
2. After the complications in the 2016 build, I severed ties with that fab shop. The fabrication shop I am working with now has advanced capabilities and a more disciplined organization.

The costs below do not include packaging and shipping.
Packaging cost $9.19
Shipping varies by UPS zone, centered on Minneapolis.
So, if you stop by my place to pick it up, you save about 30 bucks.

257474-joe2lmaker-albums-rear-seat-replacing-auxiliary-tank-k-tag-along-tank-picture7658-5-16-2017-9-37-17-am.jpg

Costs:
Quantity / Cost
1 @ $1100
3 @ $990
5 @ $900

I still have a tank from the last group buy. My plan is to sell my Triumph Tiger, buy a 2016 FJR and install the tank. If there is only one interested party in this group buy, I might be persuaded to just sell the tank I’ve been hanging on to.

Since brady got the ball rolling for this group buy, I will defer to him to set the deadline to sign up. I don’t have a facebook presence. Someone might want to make the FJR groups on facebook aware of this. The more the merrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that MId July is a fair time to get people to commit to this great deal. So lets shoot for July 15th to have all orders to Joe.

I have five orders so far. The each cost is now 900 USD.
The currency is specified because one is going to France, and one to Australia.
So, that is pretty cool!

The consensus seems to be in favor of a slight design revision. The JAZ filler opening will likely be replaced with a 45 degree aluminum elbow, threaded bung and locking cap.
I tried to share a photo, but received an error "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

If someone here knows what image I'm referring to, and wants to figure out how to make it available to this community, I'd appreciate it.

There will be no change to the design. The tanks will ship exactly as described in the original post. I invested two days of effort exploring it, but in the end it would be too expensive.

There are six days left to participate. I will place the order July 15th. Today I confirmed with the fabrication shop that the lead-time will be four weeks, but they will try to shorten that as much as possible.

So just to clarify they will have the JAZ filler opening not the 45degree neck opening?

The 45 degree JAZ filler neck is probably the most popular option. But any JAZ filler assembly with the six bolt hole pattern will work. (The "Indy Cap Jr" looks pretty cool)

dcarver,
Do you want to chime in? What did Griff put on his? Was that a Pro Werks? Do you have a photo? If I recall correctly, that required only slight oval-ling of the mounting holes.

Short answer: There are lots of options with the current opening on the tank. That's why I decided to leave well enough alone. "If it ain't broke..."

dcarver,Do you want to chime in? What did Griff put on his? Was that a Pro Werks? Do you have a photo? If I recall correctly, that required only slight oval-ling of the mounting holes.
Griff purchased a JEGS, but never installed it. It sounds like the holes nearly lined up, but not quite.

Update:
I apologize for not posting an update earlier. I expected these to be completed and shipped by now.
Unfortunately, I had no news to share because my requests for status updates were not answered.
This morning I received a detailed email from the fabricator.
Short story; these require an especially high skill level (which we knew). The welder entrusted with this task should begin welding them together today.

I've done a few checks on these and the new fabricators did very nice work.

I should probably leak test 'em anyway.

"An error occurred

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

We don't want any surprises. But, we are getting really close to shipping these!

wmW9MCq-K4_AwqR9uIgQW5m--2tp6TLIdAcLLShb_UITgJRVsjs6bvP2Gmy4TdhmuBHMVTBDdH_JE75FSMB_sRG5ivBHVA9YuApFIxMEZAMO0oamiPQfqpcmRC4rieI9uxSiYBTiG9RI1y-j9eQPLSAHXieDwYmqIeWAfOZXPjzm4QmA8Kn4fUwP-kUaMzTN86B855NJRzWNhY5dtujVWz46o6Tn8z9QMUaz0Hg5JZoO4IRZqpgjaq0gTBFCSMgs4I3g8ohtVaSj7LP_MOldwyhLI964t3XAqt-GGOeJ1CnWlKk0de_9CmHNPGRPfpCqbblaosCHngu0tFMa1Nq80Pp8tpK6kd-VLigtSRObx7Gokb9MAQBgXpH3rIU_xPGrqRA1yyeu16GDRi-M8HcNzSsQKKWZW348YqwElz1g28J46XlXJkwhalXsc0E0-odWpDDKw5qcsqzbbY9YZ8cC_0eG-TQg3SxLb_TkPAsCKCCs8MQDT1JiuirPetqJU2K-jmppwZ5WdwmyUSX6DP3MYq0ZDiPQ88Ctl8_F4u1EvUGNwH91x-Q0Yq9-rQFsyQymSM6ltLYoxAwZ5oaNtON64GH4koXo9VDOt1STjg_YBwMVZ4fevWUcVHMizXl4Yn2FoOAvhT9UXkrDX5AXINjoJZ6ozVcWcsucCAAMmAj6EWCWtXTFlyUhvg=w806-h604-no

Just checkin'...
I'm curious if photos will post.
These are the tanks before cleaning and leak-testing. Since this photo was taken all have shipped.
[ I hold on to the idea that I will get another FJR. So, I had a new, unused tank from the previous build that will be put into service in France. (It's the tank featured in the  'unboxing video')
There was a time window which had to be met, so one of these tanks will replace that one. All I need now is an FJR to mount it to...]

Does anyone have a photo of their installed tank to share?

Not yet.  had it powder coated, now obtaining a few bits and pieces and will look at drilling the tank.

Latest posts