Jumped from the Honda ST1300 to the FJR ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBones

Reaction score
Am a new member of the site, longtime rider, and presently ride a '05 Honda ST1300. Really enjoy its smooth and refined manner, but am being drawn more and more to the greater sporty nature of the FJR. A couple of years ago I had an extended testride of a 2003 FJR that left my right hand buzzing and numb after just 1 hour. My question is, are the "re-designed" 2006 and 2007 models significantly smoother? I have read that there were some engineering changes that helped noticeably in this regard, but want to hear it direct from you guys, actual owners.

Also, anyone who made the move from the Honda ST to the FJR, and if so, how would you compare their strengths and weaknesses (particularly when looking at '06 and newer FJRs).

Thanks a ton.

D Bones

Friend of mine got a great deal on an 03 ST. I took it for a ride..., BORING!

SORRY but it has NO personality.

I know I'm going to get flamed on this but the bike is just... BORING!

Then again, same friend has 2 XX's... One carb the other FI... NOT BORING! About as fun as legally possible!

I was riding the feejer in a "parade" with a few Harley's around me. I could hardly hear my bike. The "parade" sling-shot and I nailed it...,

one of the harley guys told me when I took off it sounded like a turbo diesel! He was really impressed! Even more so after I let him ride it... :dribble:

My hand gets numb on all the bikes I ride, throttle lock (Vista cruise) works wonders!

Just my .02...

This type of reply drives me nuts... FJRider1, if you aren't interrested in the ST then don't buy one, there must be someone that is happy with them, there are plenty of ST's out there. From what I understand it's a silky smooth ride with decent ergonomics, nice hard bags, great brakes and decent power. Sounds like a nice bike to me.

I bought an FJR over the ST based on my dealer's recommendation, he really liked the motor on the FJR, much more than the ST. I was driving a cruiser at the time, I'm sure I would have been happy with the increased power from either bike. He let me drive his 05 which lead to my deposit on an 06.

I'm very happy with my FJR although I would be weary of anyone who would choose the FJR over the ST solely on the difference in performance, it's not that significant (especially on the 06-07's.) I've never ridden anything for any length of time that I didn't wish had more power anyway, maybe when I buy that R1....

Last edited by a moderator:
Am a new member of the site, longtime rider, and presently ride a '05 Honda ST1300. Really enjoy its smooth and refined manner, but am being drawn more and more to the greater sporty nature of the FJR. A couple of years ago I had an extended testride of a 2003 FJR that left my right hand buzzing and numb after just 1 hour. My question is, are the "re-designed" 2006 and 2007 models significantly smoother? I have read that there were some engineering changes that helped noticeably in this regard, but want to hear it direct from you guys, actual owners.
Also, anyone who made the move from the Honda ST to the FJR, and if so, how would you compare their strengths and weaknesses (particularly when looking at '06 and newer FJRs).

Thanks a ton.

D Bones
I'm currently on a fjr 2006 coming off an st1300. I would have to say that both bikes have there pluses and minuses (depending on rider tastes). Heres the highlights:

1. the ST is a pig compared to the FJR. The St feels much lighter than it actually is, but its still really heavy compared to how the FJR feels (even though the wet weight difference is only about 50lbs). i almost forgot how big this difference is untill i got to do a comparison side by side.

2. The ST puts out more heat than the FJR. This topic always get blasted. I came off an st1100, and compared to it, the st13 is flat out rediculous in this department. Now dont get me wrong, the FJR (even with all the new heat fixes), is not as cool running as the st1100 i had, but its a huge improvement over the older FJR's and the St1300.

3. The Stock ST13 has a more relaxed seating position for the long haul. The fjr is a more sporting position. Some people like that, others dont. I prefer a more relaxed position, so i updated my FJR with risers and a device that moves my bars back.

4. Engine: FJR is a flat out rocket compared to the ST13. But, the ST13 has more than enough power for all but the insane. Theres no doubt that the FJR is a rocket ship. but it does come with a price. There is a noticable vibration through the bars and pegs which starts around 4500 rpm's (appox. 85 mph) on the FJR. Vibration is not a word in the ST1300 v4 dictionary. FJR followers claim this can be eliminated with a particular type of Throttle body sync and foam grips. I have installed "grip puppies" and found some relief, but it's definitly still there. It tends to be a non issue due to the fact that when your traveling at those types of speeds, a little vibration is the least of your concerns. but I think its definitly worth the mention for this blog.

5. Looks: I like the looks of both bikes with the bags on. the FJR looks alot better than the st with the bags off. Most of the Sport touring folks i know, never take the bags off (including me). Overall, my vote still goes to the fJR is this department.

6. Handling: I aint touching this. Its all about the rider. Both bikes handle great. i will say that the ST did have some high speed wobble. the FJR is rock solid all the way to insane zone.

7. Build Quality: you will not find two better built machines

8. Seat height. I was really happy when they announced that the st13 seat height was going to be less than the st11, but the difference was minimal. With a corbin installed, my seat height on my fjr is 29 inches.

9. Riding position: As we all know, the riding position is more forward on the FJR. Some like it, some dont. Its rider preference. But there is a caviat here. The bars on the FJR are at somewhat strange angle. i'm not quite sure how to explain it, but the complaints arent centered around how far forward the rider is, but on what this angle does to our wrists. Wrist pain has been a popular topic on the FJR site. The bar adjustments (forward and back) dont seem to have any bearing on this complaint. Bar risers (or the new Triple clamp that heli has designed for the bike) greatly reduce or eliminate this issue. I've never experienced anything quite like it. Usually the more forward position of sport bikes has effected my shoulder areas, not my wrists. I've eliminated the problem with the heli T-clamp and risers, But , once again, its worth mentioning.

10. Wind protection: The St13 stock has better wind protection than the stock FJR. Given that the St13 is wider and has a larger windscreen, i would expect that. Windscreens are a funny topic. Once again rider preference is all over the board. Some FJR owners want smaller screens, others want larger screens. Whats worth mentioning is that many FJR owners do not like the 'stock screen". they claim its noisy and causing buffetting. Theres some great after market screens available that people are using. I didnt have any issues with my st13 stock screen and dont recall it being much of a topic of discussion on st13 board.

11. Hard bags: The hardbags on both these machines are about the same size and both will accomadate a full face helmet. I like the looks of the FJR (were not talking about on or off the bike....just by themselves) bag better than i do the ST's. Some of the articles i've read state that the shape of the ST's bags (smaller towards the back) make them a little less usable than other types of hard bags. I did not find this to be the case with my st13. I could easily fit a laptop in the st's bags. The FJR bags on the other hand have a very cool shape, but they come with a price. Due to there shape, flat (non flexible) items such as laptops can be a problem. I've been able to work around it, but its definitly worth mentioning. i also liked the way the st's bags were divided. its about half and half configuration allowing you to store clothing item in either side (main compartment or the lid). The FJR bags are cut more in a 75 / 25 configuration, which makes it hard to store things in the lid of the case.

Heat and weight were my pitfalls on the st1300. "Out of the box" configuration is my pitfall on the FJR. I had to do some farkling to get the bike to what i thought should have come out of the box. I never had to do that with any of my hondas. I couldnt do anything about the st13 heat (My bike flat our broiled me and i dont have any faith in the "heat blanket" the st guys are talking about...its a design flaw gentlemen!! (and i expect honda will fix the issue like yamaha did in a later model)) or weight on the St13. I'm able to make corrections to my issues with the FJR. FJR owners tend to be tweakers. I'm amazed at the information on the FJR board.

I'm very interested in seeing the next generation of ST. The new BMW and FJR have really taken this sport touring thing to a new level. Honda has a good product but needs to step back up to the plate.

that ought to cover it.

GreyGoose

I'm always amazed that people draw such stark comparisons between these very similar bikes. The motors have decidedly different "textures" (for lack of a better word) with the I4 vs. the V4, but otherwise, the FJR is slightly faster, slightly lighter, slightly less comfortable, and slightly less expensive.

If you're reasonably happy with your ST, I wouldn't take the economic hit to make such a small change; it would be like trading in a Camry to get an Accord. You gain in some areas, lose in others. If you really want something sportier, I'd look for a bigger jump: maybe the new Concours, a BMW twin, a ST3, maybe a VFR, etc. Or leave your money on the sideline another year and see what pops up - there's great new bikes happening all the time.

- Mark

Thanks a ton.

D Bones
I'm currently on a fjr 2006 coming off an st1300. I would have to say that both bikes have there pluses and minuses (depending on rider tastes). Heres the highlights:

1. the ST is a pig compared to the FJR. The St feels much lighter than it actually is, but its still really heavy compared to how the FJR feels (even though the wet weight difference is only about 50lbs). i almost forgot how big this difference is untill i got to do a comparison side by side.

2. The ST puts out more heat than the FJR. This topic always get blasted. I came off an st1100, and compared to it, the st13 is flat out rediculous in this department. Now dont get me wrong, the FJR (even with all the new heat fixes), is not as cool running as the st1100 i had, but its a huge improvement over the older FJR's and the St1300.

3. The Stock ST13 has a more relaxed seating position for the long haul. The fjr is a more sporting position. Some people like that, others dont. I prefer a more relaxed position, so i updated my FJR with risers and a device that moves my bars back.

4. Engine: FJR is a flat out rocket compared to the ST13. But, the ST13 has more than enough power for all but the insane. Theres no doubt that the FJR is a rocket ship. but it does come with a price. There is a noticable vibration through the bars and pegs which starts around 4500 rpm's (appox. 85 mph) on the FJR. Vibration is not a word in the ST1300 v4 dictionary. FJR followers claim this can be eliminated with a particular type of Throttle body sync and foam grips. I have installed "grip puppies" and found some relief, but it's definitly still there. It tends to be a non issue due to the fact that when your traveling at those types of speeds, a little vibration is the least of your concerns. but I think its definitly worth the mention for this blog.

5. Looks: I like the looks of both bikes with the bags on. the FJR looks alot better than the st with the bags off. Most of the Sport touring folks i know, never take the bags off (including me). Overall, my vote still goes to the fJR is this department.

6. Handling: I aint touching this. Its all about the rider. Both bikes handle great. i will say that the ST did have some high speed wobble. the FJR is rock solid all the way to insane zone.

7. Build Quality: you will not find two better built machines

8. Seat height. I was really happy when they announced that the st13 seat height was going to be less than the st11, but the difference was minimal. With a corbin installed, my seat height on my fjr is 29 inches.

9. Riding position: As we all know, the riding position is more forward on the FJR. Some like it, some dont. Its rider preference. But there is a caviat here. The bars on the FJR are at somewhat strange angle. i'm not quite sure how to explain it, but the complaints arent centered around how far forward the rider is, but on what this angle does to our wrists. Wrist pain has been a popular topic on the FJR site. The bar adjustments (forward and back) dont seem to have any bearing on this complaint. Bar risers (or the new Triple clamp that heli has designed for the bike) greatly reduce or eliminate this issue. I've never experienced anything quite like it. Usually the more forward position of sport bikes has effected my shoulder areas, not my wrists. I've eliminated the problem with the heli T-clamp and risers, But , once again, its worth mentioning.

10. Wind protection: The St13 stock has better wind protection than the stock FJR. Given that the St13 is wider and has a larger windscreen, i would expect that. Windscreens are a funny topic. Once again rider preference is all over the board. Some FJR owners want smaller screens, others want larger screens. Whats worth mentioning is that many FJR owners do not like the 'stock screen". they claim its noisy and causing buffetting. Theres some great after market screens available that people are using. I didnt have any issues with my st13 stock screen and dont recall it being much of a topic of discussion on st13 board.

11. Hard bags: The hardbags on both these machines are about the same size and both will accomadate a full face helmet. I like the looks of the FJR (were not talking about on or off the bike....just by themselves) bag better than i do the ST's. Some of the articles i've read state that the shape of the ST's bags (smaller towards the back) make them a little less usable than other types of hard bags. I did not find this to be the case with my st13. I could easily fit a laptop in the st's bags. The FJR bags on the other hand have a very cool shape, but they come with a price. Due to there shape, flat (non flexible) items such as laptops can be a problem. I've been able to work around it, but its definitly worth mentioning. i also liked the way the st's bags were divided. its about half and half configuration allowing you to store clothing item in either side (main compartment or the lid). The FJR bags are cut more in a 75 / 25 configuration, which makes it hard to store things in the lid of the case.

Heat and weight were my pitfalls on the st1300. "Out of the box" configuration is my pitfall on the FJR. I had to do some farkling to get the bike to what i thought should have come out of the box. I never had to do that with any of my hondas. I couldnt do anything about the st13 heat (My bike flat our broiled me and i dont have any faith in the "heat blanket" the st guys are talking about...its a design flaw gentlemen!! (and i expect honda will fix the issue like yamaha did in a later model)) or weight on the St13. I'm able to make corrections to my issues with the FJR. FJR owners tend to be tweakers. I'm amazed at the information on the FJR board.

I'm very interested in seeing the next generation of ST. The new BMW and FJR have really taken this sport touring thing to a new level. Honda has a good product but needs to step back up to the plate.

that ought to cover it.

GreyGoose
Don't worry about the vibration at 85 mph you will have plenty of time to get the circulation back while the cop is writing you the ticket.

To me, the bikes were exceptionally similar. I will never have my FJR at an angle or speed that the ST1300 couldn't do, that's just not the type of riding I do. It was all about styling preferences for me. The look of the ST1300 was too Honda Civic'ish for me, especially the back of the bike. Both are excellent machines, and both do their jobs very well. The only true negative I have heard about the ST1300 is the high speed wobble. The only true negative I have heard about the FJR is the ticker (which has since been fixed).

This type of reply drives me nuts... FJRider1, if you aren't interrested in the ST then don't buy one, there must be someone that is happy with them, there are plenty of ST's out there. From what I understand it's a silky smooth ride with decent ergonomics, nice hard bags, great brakes and decent power. Sounds like a nice bike to me.

Hi JSimon, I don't know why this reply drives you nuts... I have no intention of ever buying one. I said I felt the bike was BORING.

Most of my friends do own them and that's THEIR PREFERENCE. They will find every reason to bash my bike and that's ok.

The post by GrayGoose says it all, he's owned both and PREFER's the feejer.

BTW, have you seen the the ST with no bags on? Not only Boring but Ugly too... :blink:

No Offense, just my .02

There is a noticable vibration through the bars and pegs which starts around 4500 rpm's (appox. 85 mph) on the FJR.
Don't worry about the vibration at 85 mph you will have plenty of time to get the circulation back while the cop is writing you the ticket.
See how nice some creative editing looks! Snip, snip...

Doing 85 in front of cops is not recommended. YMMV

DBones:

I sold my 2003 ST1300A and replaced it with an '06A FJR. I am very happy with the switch. The Honda was well built but very uncomfortable to ride during the summer due to the heat coming off of the engine. I also had some major problems with the complex braking system that caused the bike to be out of service for 8 weeks. While the Yamaha has not been trouble free it is much cooler to ride during the hot muggy summer months here in Nebraska. I don't feel the Yamaha is as well screwed together as the Honda but then it is also not as expensive. If you cannot stand the heat issue with your Honda then I highly recommend the FJR as an alternative. I briefly looked at BMWs (K1200 GT and R1200 RT) and while they both managed heat better than the Yamaha I just couldn't get past the cost. It's hard to beat the Yamaha for value in this class of bike. The detailed post above by Grey Goose pretty much sums up my feelings on the differences in the two bikes and I appreciate his effort since I'm a horrible typist.

Dave

Just go 90mph+. It's smooth as glass again. :D

But seriously, each little mod helps but I think the biggest diff is a combination of the mods with just plain mileage/break-in. At least 4K+.

I was undecided between the ST1300 and the FJR when I was looking for a new bike. What it came down to for me was how the FJR appears a little smaller and sportier than the ST. To me, the ST looked like a baby gold wing, the FJR looked like a touring R1.

A quite excellent synopsis, GreyGoose. These observations are pretty much spot-on-the-money in accuracy. Very nice writeup. B)

GrayGoose hit it pretty well. I'd like to add that when on twisties, the FJR feels more comfortable at the outer limits, because your feet are more beneath you, rather than up forward, and you don't have the perspective of sitting down in a car with the instruments so high. While the ST13 can run the same twisties to the point that both bikes are grinding the road and doing so really fast, I'm a lot less comfortable doing it on the ST.

Bob

The grip puppies are a good suggestion, but they aren't going to take away all the vibration.

The most noticable difference for me was to learn how to balance my weight on my butt and legs, while letting my hands only rest on the handlebars instead of putting weight on the handlebars.

This is link to the master yoda riding position article. It has been thoroughly discussed on this forum as well as others and you can search if you want more info. Although it was written for a BMW, the same ideas apply.

I found that supporting weight on my thighs and using my legs a lot more allowed me to not only ride for much longer distances without a sore arse, but also no annoying tingly sensation in my hands after long rides.

Any bike will produce vibrations, and my 04 FJR is no exception, however, I think it is all about the amount of weight and how hard you are gripping that will make it un-noticable to un-bearable.

A quite excellent synopsis, GreyGoose. These observations are pretty much spot-on-the-money in accuracy. Very nice writeup. B)
Indeed !! Excellent & accurate write-up.

I had an 03 st1300 and got rid of it for the 06 fjr1300. First off abs is standard, 2nd when riding 2up I hated having my wife on the back of the st and she hated being there, we both like it when she is on the fjr. My st would get mistaken for a scooter too many times. The heat off the engine and honda's lack of response did it for me. I made a couple mod's on the fjr that would be worth doing, I installed the heli triple clamp which eliminated the buzz in the right handgrip. I also installed a power commander and what a difference. Also I put a russell daylong seat on it. So for a total of $14000 plus tax and title I now own one outstanding sport tourer. I also am going on 9500 miles on the original tires with tread to spare. The fjr is one awesome looking and performing motorcycle. I also usually ride with the bags off and just strap things to the luggage rack. The fjr also comes stock with a power outlet and 3rd lock for the trunk if you were to add it. Good luck in your descision, I don't regret mine one bit. Everett