Just bought a 2009! Looking for reccomendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 2009 FJR1300 because I was getting tired of commuting on my R6; bike is smooth as a glass dildo. I put on a set of Rosso IV's right away and the bike handles amazing. Can't believe how light it feels (even coming from daily commuting on an R6). I'm ordering a set of highway pegs from Gerauld here because after taking a 3 hour ride to San Diego yesterday, I noticed 2 things. Highway pegs would be amazing to have and the seat really starts hurting after about an hour.
Any comfortable seat reccomdations? Anyone have a seat for sale?
I REALLY like the Corbin seat with the smuggler trunk, seriously considering buying it but it's $1500 so if anyone here has that combo I'd love to see some pictures and hear how you like it!
Thanks
20220414_194249.jpg

Also, are there any things I should be aware about these bikes? Parts prone to failure, specific things not to do, etc...?

Russell seat or Laam. Both are recommended. Corbin tends to be hard. You might consider an aftermarket windscreen. Bar risers are popular - a few different choices. Frame sliders or tubular "cages" for protection. No major problems for 2009 other than some electrical grounding problems. Keep current with maintenance. A fair number of people go with aftermarket rear shocks and fork treatment. A number to choose from if you are interested. (I have a Penske rear shock and Traxxion AK20 fork innards.)

Edit: Check for recalls. Yamaha should be able to tell you if there are any outstanding ones based upon your VIN.

Last edited:
Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy!(y)Resized_20210720_135816.jpeg-1.jpgNot a great pic with the trash cans out but my Corbin and Smuggler without any side cases. I had just got the smuggler and trying it out. Gives you an idea anyway of how it looks. ;)

Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy!(y)View attachment 1638Not a great pic with the trash cans out but my Corbin and Smuggler without any side cases. I had just got the smuggler and trying it out. Gives you an idea anyway of how it looks. ;)
Looks awesome! I prefer to ride without the bags when I can, having that extra storage would be nice. Is that the Corbin seat as well? How is it on longer rides?

As said by RossKean,Check VIN for recalls and make sure they have been done.Grounding harness is a big one.There are several ground connections on the Gen 2 models that can be problematic.( Leave you stranded or worse).Do some research on these there is plenty of information out there.If you can contact the previous owner ask if the Brodie harness has been installed.Yamaha had a fix for the S-4 Connection BUT both the S-4 and S-6 Have been known to cause problems.At least those two need to be addressed.
Suspension upgrades are almost a must as the Gen 2 bikes are under sprung from factory for most U.S. riders.
The Penske shock is a excellent choice of the many available.Before you start spending money or add on parts i would first make sure all service items are up to date and that the recall items have been taken care of.
I just bought a 07 and after digging into the bike with service work and Ground harness ETC. It will set you back a few hundred bucks even when you do your own wrenching. Make sure the timing chain adjuster has a green dot on it as that is also a biggie on the gen 2 bikes.As said contact the previous owner and ask if any of this has been done.

Make sure the timing chain adjuster has a green dot on it as that is also a biggie on the gen 2 bikes.
By '08, all bikes had the updated cam chain tensioner. Yes to the possibility of an S6 grounding issue in addition to the S4 that was recalled in early Gen II. Overall, reliability is far better than most bikes. By '09, they got most of the kinks out of the Gen II.

Welcome from metro Seattle! Congrats on you new (to you) '09. Loved my '09, best FJR I've had to date...wish I had it back! Lots of great information here for all things FJR.

~G

Congratulations on your '09! I have the Corbin seat, everyone seems to take the easy road and say how it tends to be hard. What they don't tell you ( because they haven't put in the time to discover, IMO), is that the Corbin once broken in is a very comfortable seat. I've been using mine for 5 years, almost 90, 000 miles. 3 bikes, 06, 07 and now a 09. This seat combined with my Smuggler is a great combination!
Good rid'in and listen to what others say about the suspension. It'll make a world of difference to have the right springs up front and a really good shock in back. I use the Hyperpro non emulsion and highly recommend it.
Again, welcome.

Does anyone know where I can buy a license plate frame and get rid of that massive, horrid rear plastic piece? That and a fender for the rear tire?Screenshot_20220416-220319_Chrome.jpgIMG_0563Large_zps7f4ebd9c.jpg

Congratulations on your '09! I have the Corbin seat, everyone seems to take the easy road and say how it tends to be hard. What they don't tell you ( because they haven't put in the time to discover, IMO), is that the Corbin once broken in is a very comfortable seat. I've been using mine for 5 years, almost 90, 000 miles. 3 bikes, 06, 07 and now a 09. This seat combined with my Smuggler is a great combination!
Good rid'in and listen to what others say about the suspension. It'll make a world of difference to have the right springs up front and a really good shock in back. I use the Hyperpro non emulsion and highly recommend it.
Again, welcome.
Thank you! Guess I'll be going with the Corbin

Is it softer/cushier than the stock seat? That smuggler looks so good, im jealous!
The stock seat is like riding on a plank but the Corbin is by no means cushy. It is firm but gives the support you need. I'm not an iron butt guy but have done about a 750 mile day on it with no problem. My main reason for switching to the Corbin when I first got the bike was to get lower besides getting rid of the stock plank. Of course YMMV. ;)

Not everyone loves the Corbin, but I do. When I first put one on my Bandit I thought to myself after sitting on it "I made a big mistake", then hit the road with it and never thought about it or my butt again! No break in at all and still comfy after 80k miles, and when I saw my FJR for sale with the Corbin I knew I wouldn't have to buy another seat...

Mirror extenders is my input. Couldn't see behind me on my 08 until I got extenders.
I am selling my Corbin in the for sale section if you want to check it out. Just sold my 08 fjr.

Last edited:

Latest posts