Just Fitted Ride-Height-Lowering-Kit (07 Bike)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogMcQ

Reaction score
Well today I fitted the ride-height-lowering-kit onto my 07 FJR1300. Basically, the kit is comprised of 2 smaller dogbones and a washer fitted to the shocker-absorber which acts as a "stop".

The first thing to note is that the bolt which goes through the dogbones is completely covered by the centre-stand when it's down, so you have to jack the bike up using other methods (we used wooden blocks on the centre-stand pivot points). Once the bike is up, you then have to support the back wheel so that it doesn't drop when you remove the dogbones. You can use anything for this - a dod of wood or whatever fits nicely under the wheel.

Then the bolts are undone, the dogbones removed and the new ones fitted (lifting the rear wheel slightly to meet the smaller dogbones). Tighten it all up, snap on the shocker-washer and Robert's your Dad's brother!

I decided not to grind any of the sidestand off at this stage - the bike seemed to have retained a decent lean. Sat on the bike I can now get the balls of BOTH feet comfortably and easily onto the ground. Before I could only just get my tiptoes there, making life very difficult when trying to "walk" the bike backwards out of a parking bay. Steep cambers at the kerbside are also a problem of the past. Overall, I feel much more comfortable on the bike.

As for handling, yes, it feels lower (although a lot of that is just in my head :rolleyes: ) and I did catch my boot on the floor when going around a corner, but the truth is, it doesn't really feel any different. It handles very well and I'm certainly not gonna adjust the front forks at this stage.

So, in conclusion, I would highly recommend this upgrade!! I bought it from the FJ-CLUB £80

If you lower the front a little bit you will keep the chassis geometry closer to stock. Lowering the back without lowering the front will make the FJR a little slower to respond to cornering input, kind of like a cruiser. All you need to do to lower the front is loosen the bolts which clamp the for tubes in the triple tree and slip the tubes up a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I looked at the front-end on my '07 and don't think it could be lowered more than 1/4 or 3/8 inch because that top adjustment will hit the underside of the handlebars. And I've heard that the '07 (and maybe '06) bikes are a little different on the triple-tree setup. You cannot simply add risers.

I'd like to also lower my bike - which is why I keep watching these "lowering" threads very carefully....... ;)

I changed my dog bones by .375 and lowered my bike about an 1.25. I also had to take about .75 out of my kickstand. Did you have to change your kickstand. I work in a machine shop with a water-jet so if anybody needs special length dog bones let me know. Thanks, Steve

Similar product available in the U.S. from Koubalink which I installed on my 05.
https://koubalink.com/FJR1300%2006-up.html

I question whether it's necessary to lower the front as I have tried it both ways and found little difference.
I had the same experience after installing the KoubaLinks on my '07 a few weeks ago. I suspect that my fairly sedate riding style contributes to noticing no real difference.

Also, not lowering the front may explain why it wasn't necessary to shorten the kickstand. :)

Well today I fitted the ride-height-lowering-kit onto my 07 FJR1300. Basically, the kit is comprised of 2 smaller dogbones and a washer fitted to the shocker-absorber which acts as a "stop".
The first thing to note is that the bolt which goes through the dogbones is completely covered by the centre-stand when it's down, so you have to jack the bike up using other methods (we used wooden blocks on the centre-stand pivot points). Once the bike is up, you then have to support the back wheel so that it doesn't drop when you remove the dogbones. You can use anything for this - a dod of wood or whatever fits nicely under the wheel.

Then the bolts are undone, the dogbones removed and the new ones fitted (lifting the rear wheel slightly to meet the smaller dogbones). Tighten it all up, snap on the shocker-washer and Robert's your Dad's brother!

I decided not to grind any of the sidestand off at this stage - the bike seemed to have retained a decent lean. Sat on the bike I can now get the balls of BOTH feet comfortably and easily onto the ground. Before I could only just get my tiptoes there, making life very difficult when trying to "walk" the bike backwards out of a parking bay. Steep cambers at the kerbside are also a problem of the past. Overall, I feel much more comfortable on the bike.

As for handling, yes, it feels lower (although a lot of that is just in my head :rolleyes: ) and I did catch my boot on the floor when going around a corner, but the truth is, it doesn't really feel any different. It handles very well and I'm certainly not gonna adjust the front forks at this stage.

So, in conclusion, I would highly recommend this upgrade!! I bought it from the FJ-CLUB £80
Just be careful with that stuff. This weekend I rode with a guy on a Concours. He had lowered the bike and put lower pegs on. Several times I was treated to a light show as he dragged his left peg, that's peg not feeler. IMO, his bike would be dangerous in the hands of someone who didn't understand all the implications of the clearance losses he created. At least in his case the entire lowered peg pivoted up as it scraped thus reducing the chance for levering the rear tire off the ground.

Not to get off topic. I saw what you are talking about when my wife had a BMW F650GS. She felt like it was too tall and we looked into the lowering bones. (she ended up selling it instead?)

But here is an item that may prove quite usefull to any motorcyclist who needs to do work under the bike. A guy on my forum (VTXOA.com) Makes this and everyone who has one LOVES it. I am waiting to move and finally get a garage b4 I make the purchase. I am not that familiar with the FJR yet so I do not know if this will work or not???

Taken from vtxoa.com (not actually me, lol)
Yep, that pic is mine. It is my ridin partners ST. I think just about any bike with a flat area will fit the PEPSX stand. Here is that pic again. The HD owner is behind the bike
3692MVC-689L-med.JPG

https://www.pepsx.com/main.htm

Update - After lowering the front forks and riding another 600 miles, it has become apparent that the lower ride-height causes significant clearance problems in everyday use. Speedbumps which you used to ride over with ease, now scrape the exhaust even at very low speed. Plus the whole feel of the bike has changed too much. I didn't realise at first because I hadn't tried any FAST sweeping bends on my initial test run. Now I have and I hate it.

I'm gonna remove the kit altogether and return to standard height. Lowering kit for sale - half price - £40 : :)

Not to get off topic. I saw what you are talking about when my wife had a BMW F650GS. She felt like it was too tall and we looked into the lowering bones. (she ended up selling it instead?)
But here is an item that may prove quite usefull to any motorcyclist who needs to do work under the bike. A guy on my forum (VTXOA.com) Makes this and everyone who has one LOVES it. I am waiting to move and finally get a garage b4 I make the purchase. I am not that familiar with the FJR yet so I do not know if this will work or not???

Taken from vtxoa.com (not actually me, lol)
Yep, that pic is mine. It is my ridin partners ST. I think just about any bike with a flat area will fit the PEPSX stand. Here is that pic again. The HD owner is behind the bike
3692MVC-689L-med.JPG

https://www.pepsx.com/main.htm

Yeah, I love my PepsX stand. I have one for my VTX1800C. Or, for my old VTX1800C. I just sold it to a great guy named Eric Will. He is a career military guy stationed in Olympia, WA. I steered him to the VTXOA Website. The stand and MC lift made working on the X so nice. That and the fact one didn't have to take off the shell whenever working on it, just the tank! I've still got the stand and MC lift and hope to be able to figure out how to use them on the X. I hesitate to support the bike on just the headers!

As for lowering with links, seat, etc, I am still pondering that. I've hit the feelers more often than I would have expected and really don't want to exacerbate that situation. I'm going to try a new seat first then, if necessary, a new set of links.

On my VTX grinding down the floorboards was normal and expected.

LC

I got me one of these lifts and lurves it. Even when not needing height to work, it provides plenty of tie down locations, a wheel clamp, etc. so that you can put aside the "sky hook" unless you simply like using it.

SAM-1000-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: