Just Joined From Tennessee

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex

Reaction score
Been looking at FJR's for years and finally got an '07.  Always liked the color of the '07 (similar to my '78 XS11).

27K miles, Yamaha trunk, V-Stream windshield, Sargent seat, Heli bars and everything else is pretty much stock.

It does have a Power Commander, which I know nothing about.  I will have to do research to figure out how to operate it.

Been looking at FJR's for years and finally got an '07.  Always liked the color of the '07 (similar to my '78 XS11).  It does have a Power Commander, which I know nothing about.  I will have to do research to figure out how to operate it.
Rex,

I would contact the manufacturer directly, for the Power Commander.  It may or may not have the Auto-Tune optional module, which would be good, but I believe the company will help, in any case.  I suggest that you check to see if the throttle cables have a little free play, but not an excessive amount.  It will probably be okay there, but it is good to check and be sure.  Nice bike!

Welcome from metro Seattle and congrats on the new (to you) '07!

Do yourself a favor and remove / ditch / sell the PC and have the ECU flashed by Ivan's Performance. You'll have a better running machine without the mileage penalty that PCs typically deliver while also fixing some inherent fueling problems the '06 & '07 models suffered from.

Enjoy!

~G

Thanks everyone. 

It's funny that you mention the cable slack.  I felt like it was very excessive and I tightened up the cables to what I'm used to earlier today.

I've dealt with Ivan in the past with other bikes and I think he's a great guy and he does a great job.  I've already been reading about his flashes on this forum today and I will probably go that route because the on/off throttle on this bike is intolerable.  It is very jerky.  It almost feels like there is a mechanical stick when first starting to twist the throttle.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Welcome from OK. My experience with the twitchy throttle was the very tight return spring. I am thinking a PC or reflash does not cure that, I could be wrong, never tried one. 
I know you will have fun on the scoot in any case.

I was really bothered by the twitchy throttle at first. I came to the FJR from a cruiser. I did the wire uncoil.

Now after almost 10 years, I've bought an MT-10 so the throttle on the FJR seems almost too tame for me now. I would undo the wire mod if it wasn't so complicated.

Thanks for all the welcomes.  I didn't know about the spring uncoil mod.  That sounds like something that I will be looking into.

Hey Bud welcome!

Welcome from metro Seattle and congrats on the new (to you) '07!

Do yourself a favor and remove / ditch / sell the PC and have the ECU flashed by Ivan's Performance. You'll have a better running machine without the mileage penalty that PCs typically deliver while also fixing some inherent fueling problems the '06 & '07 models suffered from.

Enjoy!

~G
Fully agree. 2013 and 2006. 

Correction to an earlier post: It does not have Helibars, it has Helibars pullbacks mounted with the original bars.

I took apart the housing around the the throttle cables at the handlebar.  I didn't see anything wrong, but when I got it back together, it seemed to be much better.  It definitely had a mechanical snag at the beginning of the rotation of the throttle.  I think taking out the excess slack helped as well.

I let the previous owner (friend of mine) ride it last night and he noticed a big difference.

I have ridden a friend's '05 in the past and it was alot smoother than my '07.  Mine has a buzz.  I am going to try synchronizing it.  Hopefully that will help.  Maybe new plugs too.

I have ridden a friend's '05 in the past and it was alot smoother than my '07.  Mine has a buzz.  I am going to try synchronizing it.  Hopefully that will help.  Maybe new plugs too.
Rex,

Well, there is the by-the-book Throttle Body Synchronization, and there is the Unauthorized Throttle Body Synchronization.  The "proper" TBS balances the fueling at idle only.  The UTBS adds steps to balance fueling at higher (road) RPM.  Take a look at both options.

Hmm . . . The pages I had linked for the "Unauthorized TBS" have disappeared.  Anybody got a good link, for the procedure?

It's a pretty good write up.  I've only synced carbs, but it looks like something I can handle.  I'm currently reading a thread about getting the injectors cleaned.  I will probably try some Berryman's or seafoam first.  I know the potential for smoothness that this bike has and I'm determined to make it right, the previous owners lived with it and kept riding it as is.

It's a pretty good write up.  I've only synced carbs, but it looks like something I can handle.  I'm currently reading a thread about getting the injectors cleaned.  I will probably try some Berryman's or seafoam first.  I know the potential for smoothness that this bike has and I'm determined to make it right, the previous owners lived with it and kept riding it as is.
There are several ways to deal with hand-numbing handlebar vibes.  Seafoam is a good start.  A TBS or UTBS is very good, too.  You can change the bar end weights, either heavier or lighter, to move the vibes to some RPM value that is not where you normally cruise.  Foam handgrip covers can help, also the correct (for you) padded gloves.  The final answer (for me) is to ditch the too-rigid stock cast handlebars and convert to standard 7/8" (22mm) handlebars.  That choice has the benefit of giving you wide choices in hand position, height, angles and sweep, along with cancelling bad vibes.  Putting up with the bad vibes (and the numbness caused) is potentially a very serious mistake.

Latest posts