Just when you think you've seen it all...........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
I don't know how long these have been out, or if they've been mentioned here before, but I just found out about them. National Cycle is marketing an exhaust system called "The Peacemaker". They currently have applications for several Harley models, plus Honda VTX models. If they'd been around when I had my VTX1800, I'd probably have bought a set. The have an electric servomotor that either diverts exhaust through the baffles or around them, so you can have loud or quiet at the flip of a switch! What a clever freaking idea! They have a little video on thir website to (sorta) show them in operation. Would certainly be cool to see this idea expanded upon, although I know National Cycle caters to the V-twin crowd mostly. I had a number of their products on my VTX and all were of very good quality and well thought out. You can see the little video HERE.

What will they think of next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitsubishi had something like this on the 3000 back in the late early '90s. Good idea, but how long does a moveable baffle last in that environment?

Years ago, JC Whtney sold such a device for cars. It was a y adapter with a buttefly valve and a cable mechansm to actuate it. Want it loud, divert exhaust out the open branch of the y, quiet, divert exhaust through the mufler side of the y.

Good idea, but how long does a moveable baffle last in that environment?

:blink: :blink:

Maybe you should ask Yamaha that question. In their '80s 2-strokes they called it YPVS (Yamaha Power Valve System). In their '90s 4-strokes they called it EXUP (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve). They still use it. After Yamaha's patent ran out, pretty much everybody jumped on that bandwagon. Similar idea, different purpose in life. Yamaha has always used it to optimize torque characteristics, not sound characteristics. The Yamaha servos have always been well before the silencer, but nevertheless, they've survived decades inside exhaust systems.

Years ago, JC Whtney sold such a device for cars. It was a y adapter with a buttefly valve and a cable mechansm to actuate it. Want it loud, divert exhaust out the open branch of the y, quiet, divert exhaust through the mufler side of the y.

I remember those, but the "Y" completely diverted the exhaust gases outside the exhaust system. This uses different passages within the muffler itself. One way is straight through like most aftermarket exhausts, the other is through a more complex baffle system for more noise suppression. Pretty darn clever.

Don't know about the servo motor idea, but the idea itself is older than dirt. Don't want to give my age away, but we use to have cut outs in our old hotrods. One for cruising and one for racing. Some used a choke cable to work it and some just fabed up a lever device in the floor boards. The one I liked was mounting a sparkplug in the rear of the tail pipes and....And yes the girls loved the ideas. Anything to be cool. PM. <>< ;)

Latest posts