K&N nutted oil filter failures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAPPY JACK

Reaction score
I just finished reading an interesting thread on “The Triumph Forum” about K&N nutted oil filters leaking through the spot welded flange that holds the nut on. Serveral accounts of loosing control while riding and severe engine damage due to oil starvation Anyone have experience with this?

An oil filter thread that's a derivative of anothe forum's oil filter thread? Great.....

How about a link at least please since you reference another place? Thx.

Wonder how many leaks are due to over-torque during installation?
Unnecessary complication for an FJR, IMHO. Filter access is very easy - I usually use hand-tight and a small tweak with a rubber strap wrench to compensate for my mildly arthritic hands. Usually loosen with the rubber strap wrench or sometimes one of the metal band oil filter wrenches. (Using the longer Mobil M1-110 filters)

I have considered using the nutted K&N filters for bikes where access is more problematic but I have always managed without.

It's a gimic. 3 jaw filter wrench will remove any filter and they should be installed by hand.
I just buy these by the 12 pack since they fit both of my current bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_062501_1.jpg
    IMG_20210822_062501_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
It's a gimic. 3 jaw filter wrench will remove any filter and they should be installed by hand.
I just buy these by the 12 pack since they fit both of my current bikes.
Unless you have a modified union, make sure that the filter has a concave baseplate rather than a convex one.
A number of manufacturers changed their filter design without changing the part number. Bosch, some Purolator and others. (I thought some Wix filters were problematic bit I may be mis-remembering.)

The wix stuff has been working fine on the fz1 for years, and the last 3 filters on the fjr.