Kamloops suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk2020

Reaction score
Traveling north next month to Kamloops and further on to Jasper.
Crossing the border at Nighthawk, WA considering a few different routes.
Take 5A through Princeton north to Kamloops.
Take 5 from Hope up to Merritt and then Kamloops.
Take 1 from Hope up to Cache Creek and over to Kamloops.

Looking for the best motorcycle experience and not the fastest way to get there.

Any suggestions form those that have traveled through there?

On the way to the Rallye at Nakusp we rode 5A up and we all enjoyed it. We stayed at the Riverland Inn in Kamloops and ate the Frick & Frack Tap House.
The next dat we went to Dreamcycle in Sorrento. After the Museum we rode to Nakusp Like This
Enjoy, I could go on and on so much to see.

Was on 5 Hope to Merritt two days ago. Too much construction on the south (near Hope) end going on. (Rebuilding after the flood)
The canyon (Highway 1) route is a nice motorcycle road. If you want Hells Gate, you have to go this way.
5a to Merritt, and get back on 5a after Merritt. Cant go wrong if your not in a hurry.
-Steve

Looking for the best motorcycle experience and not the fastest way to get there.

Unless you specifically want to go to Kamloops may I suggest once you cross into Canada take Hwy 3 to Creston, Hwy 3A N to Crawford Bay (highly rated road), free ferry then Hwy 31/31A to Hwy 6 to Nakusp, 23 N to Revelstoke (another free ferry), Hwy 1 to Lake Louise, Hwy 93 to Jasper, some of the best scenery in Canada. be prepared to dig deep in your pockets for hotels in Lake Louise/Banff/Jasper this time of year. Only bit of serious construction is just E of Golden for a short distance, otherwise road is pretty much clear. Hwy 5 N of Kamloops isn't really all that exciting, of course I have driven it probably 50 times so may not be all that objective.

I live in Merritt and ride all of those roads. If you are coming from Hope I would recommend Highway 3 to Princeton with a side trip to the lookout in Manning Park turning off to the left just after the Manning Park Lodge. In Princrton take 5A to Merritt and then continue on 5A (the old highway) to Kamloops. An alternate route from Merritt to Kamloops is to take 97C from Merritt to Logan Lake, Meadow Creek road from Logan Lake to Lac La Jeune and then the Lac La Jeune road on to Kamloops.
If you are coming through the Vancouver area you might also consider riding the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler then on to Pemberton and from there the Duffy Lake road to Lillooet. At Lillooet you have the option of riding south to Lytton and then Highway 1 to Cache Creek and Kamloops or Highway 99 from Lillooet to Cache Creek and Kamloops. Borh routes from Lillooet are very scenic and have great pavement.