Kawasaki Versys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if this would be a fun, uncomplicated machine?
https://www.motorcycledaily.com/11october07...i2008versys.htm

Sure looks like it to me. I'd love to have one. It would fill the same purpose (for me) as my Pegaso does. Back road blasating and a little 1-up adventure touring.

But I don't buy new bikes (ever) so I won't be looking to buy one for a couple of years. By then we will know any design foibles or shortcomings and there will be a number of low mileage examples that are 3-4 years old for half their current price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the looks of ‘em when I first saw one. Was privileged to take one for a short ride. Personally, liked everything about it but the vibes.

I liked the looks of ‘em when I first saw one. Was privileged to take one for a short ride. Personally, liked everything about it but the vibes.
Vibes? Try my Pegaso 650 thumper It's better than a KLR650, but only a little. You just have to expect that your going to get some vibration on any 2 (or fewer) cylinder engine. Come with the territory.

Try my Pegaso 650 thumper
Sounds like a winner. Be glad to if I’m ever in “your neck of the woods”.

You just have to expect that your going to get some vibration on any 2 (or fewer) cylinder engine.
Copy that. Started out on single cylinder Honda’s in the early 70’s and graduated to a Kawi S2 :yahoo: in 72. Guess I’ve gotten sensitive in my old age. Oh well, “say la V” :huh: ….uh, that’s French right? LOL

:bike:

Had a chance to take a Versus for a short ride. It seems to be a fairly smooth twin and rode decent.

Just wish Kawasaki could have used less of the plastic covers on the bike, as well as the cheap cable keepers on the bars-just give it a "cheap" look.

My wife owns a Kawi 650r, which is the full faring model of this bike. I have ridden it 100's of miles. In my opinion it is like a half sized FJR. Same riding position for my wife, who is half my size. Similar range for her and half the engine size. It does not vibrate, not at least in an objectionable way like any of the Harleys I owned. It has a trick exhaust and rear shock with a fairly low seat height. I have several buddys, that own multiple bikes, who mentioned that they would love one for commuting. It is the perfect bike for a capable female rider or a smaller man. And the fuel injection is great. It is missing a fuel guage, a gear indicator (has neutral), and missing ABS. Other than that the price was right. SV650 is also a great bike that has ABS as an option, but seat was too high for my wife.

Thanks Barabus.

EDIT: Suspension upgraded on the Versys compared to the SV650....Yes?

My wife owns a Kawi 650r, which is the full faring model of this bike. I have ridden it 100's of miles. In my opinion it is like a half sized FJR. Same riding position for my wife, who is half my size. Similar range for her and half the engine size. It does not vibrate, not at least in an objectionable way like any of the Harleys I owned. It has a trick exhaust and rear shock with a fairly low seat height. I have several buddys, that own multiple bikes, who mentioned that they would love one for commuting. It is the perfect bike for a capable female rider or a smaller man. And the fuel injection is great. It is missing a fuel guage, a gear indicator (has neutral), and missing ABS. Other than that the price was right. SV650 is also a great bike that has ABS as an option, but seat was too high for my wife.
I've been Ninja 650R shopping with a couple women, once for each model year they've been out. GF is in love with the blue '07, and I have to say that I'd seriously consider one for commuting if I did that (only 0.4 miles from home to work for me). I really need to ride one sometime -- seems like the perfect state of the art evolution from the 650 twin configurations we all used to ride from Triumph, BSA and Yamaha long ago -- without their tech drawbacks.

Not really a hijack -- the Kwak 650R was the development vehicle for the engine (nice job on that, too) and some of the other components in the Versys. I thought the Versys was NOT available in the US yet though? Am I wrong?

I've been Ninja 650R shopping with a couple women, once for each model year they've been out. GF is in love with the blue '07, and I have to say that I'd seriously consider one for commuting if I did that (only 0.4 miles from home to work for me). I really need to ride one sometime -- seems like the perfect state of the art evolution from the 650 twin configurations we all used to ride from Triumph, BSA and Yamaha long ago -- without their tech drawbacks.

Not really a hijack -- the Kwak 650R was the development vehicle for the engine (nice job on that, too) and some of the other components in the Versys. I thought the Versys was NOT available in the US yet though? Am I wrong?

If you like parallel twins, and I do, then you should try Kawi's EJ650.. Better known as the W650 and only imported in 2000-2001., it's a retro standard that took a lot of heat for doing a poor impersonation of a 650 Triumph. When set up right, it does a lot of different things good just not any one thing great. I'm sorry I ever sold mine.

Kawasaki's web site has this bike listed under Dual Sport as well as Sport. I have been looking for something that would work on dirt and gravel roads. I have ridden the KLR 650 and it is grossly underpowered. The KTM 990 Adventurer is probably tops on my wish list but it is a bit expensive. The new BMW 800GS looks like the real deal, (85hp), but it is pricey. I wonder how the Versys would work as a DS, with different tires of course?

I thought the Versys was NOT available in the US yet though? Am I wrong?
I think it's only 49-state, so far -- no Cali. I was looking at one at a Kawi dealer in ABQ last Fall.
It was available in TN as early as this past August.

6228VS_ride.jpg