Kbc Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLRoadking

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with KBC helmets? I am a big fan of Arai helmets but really like the looks of this new lid from KBC. The price is extremely low, so kind of wonder about the quality, fit, finish, etc. For the price you really can't go wrong if you don't like it but just curious if anyone out there has any first hand experience with this helmet or other KBC products.

Sportrider did a review of VR-2 Mirage and gave it very good reviews, but is a higher priced model. Thanks for any thoughts on this product line. B)

When I was originally shopping for helmets, I tried to try on some kbc's. Thier largest size would not fit over my massive noggin, in any model of helmet. This definaltly ruled them out alltogether for me. If you're planning to order online make sure you try one on in person first, as thier sizing does not seem consitant with other brands.

I tried the new FFR modular helmet at an open house in Charlotte, NC. Quality seemed good, as well as the price. Just a note on the previous post. I too have a big round noggin, but in the FFR, the XXL was a bit loose. This doesn't happen much. I'm of the opinion that I'm not going to buy a helmet mail order w/o first trying it on.

I was recently looking for a new helmet and contacted the Helmet Harbor for advise. They said stay away from KBC right now. Too many QC issues needing attention yet. They also said that's why most of their models are on backorder right now. Do what you will, but I passed. BTW, I did get to look at the Airborne version at a local shop, nice paint scheme, but the venting and attaching bits seemed a bit cheap to me.

Mike

as stated in my other helmet thread:

Last year I was found uncouncious in a ditch after a ~40mph highside. I was wearing a non-top of the line brand helmet (vega) that was snell approved. It didn't do so great...

It did alright. By that I mean I'm still here with no major head injuries. I think that the $325 I saved by not getting a top of the line helmet was more than made up for by time I can't remeber. I was OUT of it for about 45 minutes, and don't remember anything for a minute or two before the wreck.

I just bought an AGV TiTech. This, by all accounts I've found, is top par with Shoei, Arai, and Suomey. These are all helmets (and there's probably a few more) that get run in MotoGP and Superbike races. (yes, Aaron Yates rides for KBC helmets, but he's a jackass anyway... I mean... who gets off the bike and jump kicks a ride YOU just caused to wreck. Anyway, I digress)

These guys will wreck more than most of us ever will. I know they don't have cars and trucks to get crushed by on the track, but they smack thier heads a lot. Just watch a few races. The TiTech is the same model Rossi is currently wearing on the track. With as much money as is involved in MotoGP, if there were a better helmet to be had at any cost, they'd have it.

I'm not advocating AGV. I counsider the 4 aboved mention brands all of the same par when you look at thier top of the line goods. The AGV fits me extremely well and had my favorite graphics.

I guess what it all comes down to for me:

$500 a year (if you tend to drop helmets like me) is not that much considering the overall cost of our motorcycling habit. With how much has been spent on my education over the years... Hell, I spent more than that each semester on books in college.

How much is YOUR head worth?

No, really people, give me a number here.

Thanks Guys, the graphics are great on this helmet. But coming from an Arai, I really was worried about the quality. So it cost me more, a lot more, but I bought another Arai, a Edwards GP Corsair replica. Great helmet. I may just pick up an Airborne for occasional use. Overall for roughly $140, it looks to be a good value.

My GF quickly asked why I wanted a helmet with a naked girl on it so I quickly described how that went with the old WWII Bomber theme. ;)

Appreciate the feedback on KBC. Thanks guys.

Thanks Bounce, very similar to the new Airborne. As mentioned I might pick one up as I really like the new paint scheme. At the end of the day its all about fit and quality. From feedback, KBC is a quality product worth the look. I know a lot of people don't like Arai's internet ordering policy. Fortunately I am only 30 minutes from the Helmet Shop in Daytona so a short ride to save a bunch over retail. B)

I have owned Bell, Shoei, and KBC. Currently I own 3 KBC helmets (Racer 1, VR-1, and the new Airborne) and a Shoei RF1000 DuHamel. I found the first two KBC helmets to be flawless, excellent venting, meets the same standards as the other top helmets, a great value, comfortable, and I would not hesitate in recommending them. The Airborne however, had some paint quality issues, so I will give some credence to the quality/backorder comments from a previous post. I think what has happened is KBC has gotten very popular very quickly (due, I think, to their outstanding value) and in an effort to meet demand, production was increased without scaling the QC along with it. I worked with KBC America in California and they are replacing my helmet, whose flaws were very minor, but still present. I found them easy to work with, although I am still waiting for the replacement to arrive (but I have 3 other helmets to chose from). I would still recommend them, but may suggesst waiting until you can verify their quality control has improved.