KeyLight for your ignition key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !
Reaction score
I found this to be handy ...

IMG_0128_zpse946c6fd.jpg

Many times I am in a dark area when I try to get my key in the ignition switch. After building a custom key blank to fit this KeyLight head, all I need do is squeeze the black button and the keyhole is illuminated with my key aimed properly. It beats stabbing at the keyhole in the dark.

The KeyLight is made for a Schlage or Kwikset entry door lock. You will need a key blank for the Yamaha lock with the head large enough to modify into the U Shape needed to work. Take a pocket knife and carefully separate the two halves of the KeyLight and extract the metal blank. Trace it's contour onto the ILCO X248 key blank, use a vise and several files to shape it to fit. Use Styrene cement (model glue for plastic models) to glue the two halves back together on your handiwork.

Easy Peesey

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. there is a list of suitable ignition key blanks in the Bin of Facts. I need a couple of new spares so I'm going to pick up an extra one and have a go at modifying it to fit the light.