King Kenny Roberts teaches dirt track at the ranch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
After having a terrible time crashing in the rain and not understanding why, Lorenzo goes the Robert's ranch to learn how to ride Clicky

And he still ended up crashing in the rain :)

"Lorenzo was awed that a man thirty years his senior could out-pace him so easily on a small off-road motorcycle." - yeah, and he's been riding that XR100 just about every week for every one of those thirty years, buckwheat.

"...when you stop for water or gas, Roberts smokes a cigar and points out every single mistake you made." - I had tears in my eyes at that one, imagining that scene. I haven't met KR in person, but I get a mental image of the insurance commercial with R. Lee Ermy. "Tissue? Crybaby!"

My dream is an exhibition race between Rossi & Roberts on MotoGP bikes. He might not hand Rossi his ass straight out, but I think he'd make him work for a living. I hear when Rossi, Rainey, and Lawson were all on the shifter carts with nobody watching, it was a real 3-way dog fight. That's the sort of thing I've give a major portion of anatomy to see.

One of my favorite Kenny Roberts stories:

The 1983 season would be remembered as one of the most dramatic title chases in the history of Grand Prix racing; Honda's Freddie Spencer and Yamaha's Kenny Roberts fought back and forth for the points lead with each of them earning six victories. The season culminated at the penultimate round in Sweden when Roberts ran off the track on the last lap leaving Spencer to sprint to the finish line and victory.

When interviewed, Roberts said he was waiting for Spencer to brake for the corner so he could brake later: "I figured I could out-brake him..."

(I think they both probably thought that...)

I saw KR at Laguna Seca, near the end of his career.

Wasn't much into road racing, just had a weekend and some bucks free..

KR put on a show fantastic. Truthfully, can't tell you who won, it did not matter.

KR was the man to watch.

good stuff.