Kisan Headlight Possible group buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
I am interested in finding out if there is enough interest in my organizing a group buy for Kisan headlight modulators (P115W-S-D)

If there are enough people willing, I'll reach out and see if the vendor is interested.

let me know :)

Thank

I'm in.

...provided those more knowledgeable don't come in here and tell me this make/model of modulator is prone to causing problems with the bikes.

Otherwise, excellent investment, IMO.

Thanks for taking the lead Mcgyver74. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to offer my experience in dealing with 'customer service' with alternative source of modulators (Kriss, NOT Kisan.) (True, I am not a satisfied, but unpleased disgruntled customer.)

I have bought headlight modulator systems from both Kriss and Signal Dynamics over the last 5 years. Only recently (last 2 months) have I had a most noxious and disagreeable experience with Kisan. I tried to return a modulator I ordered. It was supposed to fit the FJR I have, but I was very much disappointed with the simple lack of documentation and description of features and installation. I called Kisan to respectfully request a refund.

I called to speak to customer service. I got the impression (more than one phone call) that only one person answered the phone. Is this a one-man shop? He was less than helpful; even defensive from the start. Antagonistic and aggressive on repeated basis. Argued repeatedly my claims. It really surprised me, after hundreds of sucessful ebay and online motorcycle transactions) to have this antgonistic and aggressive 'customer service' person attacking my claim. Surprising.

Well... Suffice it to say, Kriss may make high quality gear. They absolutely stink at supporting it. Thats my opinion. I would NEVER ever order from them again.

Kisan and Signal Dynamics - get my vote!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used signal dynamics for YEARS and have always had good luck with them, I have heard WAY too many horror stories with Kriss over the years for me to even consider them. I actually ordered a Signal Dynamics modulator for the FJ because it has horn alerts and light failover (If your low beam bulb dies it will automatically switch on the high beam bulb until you shut the bike off to prevent a dangerous situation)

However when I ordered it, I didn't know about the plug and play modulators from Kisan (Which I havent heard a bad thing about yet) and I really don't want to cut my 09's nice brandy new harness so Kisan it is! :)

If we have enough interest I'll organize it... :)

Ok we have 4 possible 5 so far...We'd need 10 min to even get Kisan to consider a discount :)
Might be more interest if we knew how much of a discount we're looking at. After a very quick google I found that they go for about $150 at reputable web vendors.

I don't know the discount as yet, This is NOT a group buy yet, I am merely gauging IF there is enough interest to open a group buy. If there is enough interest I'll call Kisan and see what kind of discount they are willing to offer....

Sorry for the confusion :)

I bought a Kriss HM for my FJR based upon the good experience I had with same vendor on the HM on my former Suzuki Bandit 1200S.

I would not buy from them again for the following reasons:

(1) the headlight connector they used was really cheap. Once installed you could not remove the connector from the bulb. It turns out that the connector they used had locking tabs that latched into the small holes on the bulb socket blades. Once locked, they would not let go no matter how hard I tried to remove the connector. In the end, I had to remove the bulb and the rubber boot from the headlight together with the socket to get the darn thing out. It then required a screwdriver blade between the bulb and the socket to get them to separate. As many know there is not a lot of working room in there to start with. So I went to Autozone, bought 2 new HD connectors, cut off the Kriss connectors and spliced the new ones on. These grabbed the bulb well but allowed removal.

(2) I sent a detailed note to Kriss about the issue and was told that they were not seeing issues with the connectors so what's the problem? Now I suspect that not all bulbs have the holes in the blades that the socket tang snapped into, so no holes, no issues. So despite the fact I'm happy with the resulting operation of the HM, I'm not likely to buy from them again. Customer service is very important and they totally blew it with me. Especially when I worked with them on my first purchase for the Bandit when they did not offer any "plug and play" options. They only offered cut and splice and I pointed them to several connector vendors that they could purchase product from to allow customers to not have to cut and splice wires which many of us including me will not even consider.

(3) This is what I bought.... Again, I'm happy with the end results and the box runs very cool (not hot) Kriss FJR HM

Possible, depending on price break point. I've been considering one for awhile anyway.

Guess there's enough, I'll reach out for Kisan tomorrow and see what/if they are willing to do
As an FYI... I checked my local dealer today... and the parts manager told me they sell headlight modulators for around $50...

No details on this units as my initial thought was they must be a lower quality product given the low price (I seem to recall other HM's being priced at around $150 or so).

I'm not trying to derail this project in any way, as I'm a bit skeptical the Hm they're talking about at my local dealer is a high quality, plug & play unit...

McGyver74 - please check on these units as planned and report back. :) My gut tells me the units you're looking into are a better quality product. ;)

Sportsguy,

I'm not sure about the quality of the modulators they have, but I would imagine that in order to install them you have to cut the headlight wires to wire the unit in line with the lights. the units I am looking into are plug and play, NO cutting of wires necessary, basically, unplug socket from headlight, plug modulator onto headlight and plug socket into back of modulator... Run and secure the photo sensor and presto you are done.

Signal Dynamics makes a MUCH cheaper modulator that has some NICE features, but it requires cutting and I for one do not want to cut up my FJ's wiring harness.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.