Knifemaker to break ground soon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
As some might know, we have been busy recently with trying to get our house sold, finding some lakefront property and building a house on it.

We finally got the house sold, and have found a beautiful lakefront lot to build on. We are still waiting for some paperwork to go through, but looks like we will be breaking ground soon for the homes foundation.

I have created a Facebook account for the whole process, chronicling the build from start to finnish.... as the house. If you wish to be "friends" with my house,you are more than welcome to stop by. I am Facebook stupid, so not sure how it all works yet, but I am told you can find the account...named " erics house " , here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002789002975

Keep in mind I spend little time online , but will be adding photos of everything along the way.

Sounds like a nice project.

(As regards to the title though, next thing you know, we'll have a thread titled Beemerdons "breaks wind" soon.)

Congratulations and good luck! Building a house is a very dynamic emotional experience. I've overseen the process 14 times and helped in the construction in one way or another (mostly finish work) on most of them. Keep an eye on everything the GC and subs do and ask lots of questions.

Not a facebook guy, but post stuff up here too. That's frigging cool.

When I get the chance, I will start an album at my "webshots" site. (linked below)

With work, living out of boxes in the basement of my step-daughters place , and dealing with all the stuff...and still looking for "fun time"... it might be a few weeks before I get to this however....

KM

Just bumping this to let you all know we moved in last Saturday. Not 100% complete, but we got am occupancy permit ......so were in. ;)

Photos in the Facebook link in post #1. Will try to post some pics in my webshots account for those that don't do Facebook.

Still some financial hurdles to deal with, but hopefully they will be solved in the next week.

The end of basicly a year long ordeal is now finally in site........

KM

That's cool!! Congratulations. Building a house can be (usually is)or very stressful. Glad you've seen it through. Now...Post some frigging pics!

That's cool!! Congratulations. Building a house can be (usually is)or very stressful. Glad you've seen it through. Now...Post some frigging pics!

I have 680+ photos. Looks like it will take 6 hours to upload them all...lol

Guess I'll try to do some editing.....heres one, view off deck:

2786723100086768460S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! We built our dream/ retirement home 4 yrs. ago last month and could'nt be in a nicer setting. It was about 9 months of on again/ off again hell, but we got it done and no blood was shed. Glad you got moved in, now the fun begins!

Congrats! We built our dream/ retirement home 4 yrs. ago last month and could'nt be in a nicer setting. It was about 9 months of on again/ off again hell, but we got it done and no blood was shed. Glad you got moved in, now the fun begins!

Thanks. Totally with you on the Hell part.

Got a few pics loaded at my webshots site. First ones are the lot as we bought it, to clearing it out.... Then jumps all the way to some pics of the deck. Not all our stuff is here yet, still missing some furniture and the flat screen. Last photo is the view from our bed:

https://family.webshots.com/album/582817083OWRTwl

If I can I'll work on loading the 600+ photos that go between......

congrats. we've built 2 over the years. none of them a "dream" house; all basic shelter. lots of things to keep balanced at the same time. glad you're now enjoying the effort.

what we really enjoyed was paying off the mortgage this past december. here's to your last payment.

Well, ours is kinda 75% our "dream house". Originally the house was to be 40 feet by 30 feet, and the garage was to be a four car.

We realized as great as that would be, the cost for that would give us a mortege payment that was about the same as we were paying before. The idea was to downsize the payment so we could save money to travel.

So, we cut the house to a 30 foot by 25 footprint and went to a 3 car garage. This takes 10 feet out of the great room, which just means we will have to go with a 7 foot pool table instead of a 8 foot one. ;)

The interior plans otherwise stayed the same. By doing this our monthly payment will be about half of what it was before. And we are still living exactly where we wanted to anyway.

So still cool to live in a house you designed yourself, in a place you picked after a two year search. Happy does not quite cover it, but we are supposed to close on the house tomorrow...and if that goes without a hitch all the pain will have been worth it.

Will give a shot at doing a video tour rather than trying to upload all those photos.

Thanks,

Knifemaker